Is a Sub-3 really a Sub-3 . . . .

Bonus

I rode all by myself and managed a sub 4:09.

Last year, all by myself and managed a sub 3:42.

Why? I couldn't stick with the bunch either time.

Sub 3 is sub 3. If you don't agree, ride by yourself the whole way and go for your time like that!

Just don't let actionphotos.net have any pics of you too close behind someone else tho...

Edited by Jigghead

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly the most pointless topic this week?

A sub 3 is a sub 3, simple as that its a time, regardless of groups. If not, do you create "sub 3" groups based on other aspects that we like to mention alongside our posted times?

Is a sub 3 with knobblies really a sub 3 or is it actually a 2h45? I wasnt wearing branded kit, so my 2h51 is actually a 2h35.

I rode without chamois cream so take off 5minutes bla bla .... rode with long toenails so that added drag.

Riding is groups is part of road races, we use it to our benefit and detriment.

Your talking A Bunch talent here. If I was able to stay with the C Bunch they would probably have pulled me to a 2h30'ish.

Anyone below 2h30 I think is a machine!

Ja, you should have stayed with us and you would have done a 2:33/4

Did somebody upset you in the bunch that you decided to fall back ?

Ja, you should have stayed with us and you would have done a 2:33/4

Did somebody upset you in the bunch that you decided to fall back ?

You guys caught me napping up Joe Slovo. Tried to close the gap but could not. Burned all fuel to try and catch back up and that was pretty much the end of my day.

Must say that it was my first real race on a road bike and it was my 3rd ride on a road bike so I was a bit inexperienced and didn't know much about bunch riding and rode pretty much at the back for my own safety as well as others.

There was a guy with 1 leg in the C batch that must have done a 2:33/4.... Now that's a true sub 3, bunch or no bunch!

He got dropped when we came off the N14 but yes HUGE RESPECT to him !!!!

There was a guy with 1 leg in the C batch that must have done a 2:33/4.... Now that's a true sub 3, bunch or no bunch!

Not sure if it was the same guy, but had a similar situation at the Amashova, and he was smoking it up Fox Hill! Massive respect, talk about beating someone with one hand behind your back!

Your talking A Bunch talent here. If I was able to stay with the C Bunch they would probably have pulled me to a 2h30'ish.

Anyone below 2h30 I think is a machine!

A bunch is (apparently) not what it used to beaccording to "the" FB group ;)

Everybody has their own goal, at the end of the day there's no comments column, it says 2:xx:xx.

I'm done chasing a PB for 94.7, i find it far more satisfying seeing the smile on 10 faces that've just achieved a new personal goal. Some are avg cyclists riding steel bikes with 2.5kg wheels, pushing the limits for 95km. Broken or not, we man up and go ride the 2nd lap anyway to help push 60 odd kg Ice Cream bikes, does that mean their Sub 3 is worth less than somebody who was drafting for 93km?

We help each other out as much as possible, that includes pushing and towing where necessary, giving your all so guys can finish as a team.

Last year we rode in Elvis outfits, full length arms and legs, this year in Black Hell's Angels outfits with full length legs.

Find a meaning to your riding, you'll find the time is far from important

Everybody has their own goal, at the end of the day there's no comments column, it says 2:xx:xx.

I'm done chasing a PB for 94.7, i find it far more satisfying seeing the smile on 10 faces that've just achieved a new personal goal. Some are avg cyclists riding steel bikes with 2.5kg wheels, pushing the limits for 95km. Broken or not, we man up and go ride the 2nd lap anyway to help push 60 odd kg Ice Cream bikes, does that mean their Sub 3 is worth less than somebody who was drafting for 93km?

We help each other out as much as possible, that includes pushing and towing where necessary, giving your all so guys can finish as a team.

Last year we rode in Elvis outfits, full length arms and legs, this year in Black Hell's Angels outfits with full length legs.

Find a meaning to your riding, you'll find the time is far from important

Great comment but I want to add another perspective...

For many people (especially first timers and those new to the sport) posting a good time or PB is a huge motivator and a great achievement whether that is accomplished by sitting in a bunch the whole way or slogging it out on their own. The fact is that they did not just wake up one day, decide to ride the 94.7 and magically got seeded in C bunch to get pulled along they whole way, it's not that simple.

After not having been on a bike since my paper round 20 years ago I borrowed a bike and started riding with the aim of posting a decent time in the 94.7. Being somewhat competitive and determined that involved getting up at 5am and riding in single digit temperatures 4 times a week with people who are much stronger, getting dropped on every single hill and bump and politely greeting people as they whizzed past in the cradle.

4 months, 2000+ km of training rides,10kg and 1 decent fall later as well as slowly working my way up the seeding index with a couple of other races I managed an "L" group start for the 94.7. While there wasn't much of a bunch to speak of in "L" I did manage to draft for several sections but also pulled my weight in the front when called upon to finish in 2h53 on my first attempt.

The people who managed a good enough seeding to draft to a sub 3 probably worked their butts off the get there in the first place and earned the right to suck wheel every now again. Besides, working as a team and achieving a good time is probably more rewarding than a lonely grind to the finish.

Great comment but I want to add another perspective...

For many people (especially first timers and those new to the sport) posting a good time or PB is a huge motivator and a great achievement whether that is accomplished by sitting in a bunch the whole way or slogging it out on their own. The fact is that they did not just wake up one day, decide to ride the 94.7 and magically got seeded in C bunch to get pulled along they whole way, it's not that simple.

After not having been on a bike since my paper round 20 years ago I borrowed a bike and started riding with the aim of posting a decent time in the 94.7. Being somewhat competitive and determined that involved getting up at 5am and riding in single digit temperatures 4 times a week with people who are much stronger, getting dropped on every single hill and bump and politely greeting people as they whizzed past in the cradle.

4 months, 2000+ km of training rides,10kg and 1 decent fall later as well as slowly working my way up the seeding index with a couple of other races I managed an "L" group start for the 94.7. While there wasn't much of a bunch to speak of in "L" I did manage to draft for several sections but also pulled my weight in the front when called upon to finish in 2h53 on my first attempt.

The people who managed a good enough seeding to draft to a sub 3 probably worked their butts off the get there in the first place and earned the right to suck wheel every now again. Besides, working as a team and achieving a good time is probably more rewarding than a lonely grind to the finish.

I fully agree.

I started riding a year ago, after not riding a kike for 30 years.

Trained hard from January this year.

Cadence classes twice a week, cradle rides twice a week and pilates & gym thrown in there. I have never been an athlete. My lack of co-ord made that possible :mellow:

I did five or six Suikerbosrand loops leading up to 94.7, and most of the guys I know at Cadence thought I would burn out before 94.7.

I also managed to go from 84.7kg down to 74.5 kg for this race over the past 12 months.

I also did as many races as possible to get a good seeding. I eventually got re-seeded in H. I also did the Kremetart stage race after only riding for just over 6 months. I was definitely not fit enough, but I finished and had a great time. WE booked accommodation on the way home for 2014.

My sub 3 was somewhat of a personal triumph. I now realise that I do have some athletic ability. It is just up to me to make use of it.

I am also lucky enough to have the support of my wife for all the time spent away from home. I also don't have any kids which makes it easier.

I take my hat off to anyone who takes on the challenge to race, and the fact that they try, is a great start :clap: :clap: :clap:

Of course a sub3 is a sub3. Bunch riding is a skill. Is a sub3 an achievement? Some good posts here. Basically depends on your goals. I went under 3 and I am still very pissed - missed my mark by 10min. First time I did it I was very pleased. We always push harder. The clock is the real time- the end.