[Event] 99er Cycle Tour

Ninetyniner Durbanville

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard from $ bunches atleast 20 guys went down on gravel...

Apparently its an absolute nightmare to ride! Be safe

It was a death trap on gravel in $. Like 5 punctures and 20 bails. Idiot in front of me was breaking at 60km/h on gravel. Besides that was rather uneventful. Amazing marshals compared to last week, the el shadai school really does well

Couldn't have asked for better weather. Cloudy and windstill.

Did a 2:48

Jip, there was carnage in %. The sandy patches caught a lot of guys.

In middle section of the gravel part it looked like the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan... bodies everywhere.

But all in all, it was a lovely day. Well organized.

Edited by Flowspeed

That was fun (but tough). 2 nasty crashes in D (way before the dirt road) and another few down on the dirt made for a messy race.

The end was brutal. That hill to the finish in the last km felt like a mountain!

Great organisation (from before the start to the finish) - setting an example for the other races. :)

Horrific crash in B on the R44 by Nelson's Creek. I really hope the guys are Ok. Thank you to the lady who hit me but who managed to stay upright. Could have been a horrible day... But all all that happened was a puncture. (and thanks to the friendly fellow at the Voorpaardeberg water stop who helped me!)

Yeah, crazy day out there (for me, in any case).

I rode in A today. We caught % an hour or so into the race and chaos ensued. The group was way, way too big for the narrow road and there was a bunch (excuse the pun) of very close calls with vehicles coming the other way.

The marshals tried their best, but it was a very difficult situation with everyone fighting to get to the front of the massive pack.

Saw 2 hideous accidents on the gravel happen right in front of me and more than once thought I was going down too. If I had known the gravel was going to be that bad, I probably wouldn't even have done the race.

My mate says they stopped when a guy trying to overtake a truck was taken out by it in the road race this morning. HE doesnt know if the guy made it, sounds pretty bad. Anyone know?

Awesome race from $ glad I moved to the front at the right times to stay out of danger especially on that gravel section.

Gravel was fun & glad I did the race. I was expecting it too be much worse. Found it to be smooth & was easy to Get top speed there. So I'm sorry for those who crashed but next time smarter riding could've saved you i.e. move to The front out of danger.

Awesome race from $ glad I moved to the front at the right times to stay out of danger especially on that gravel section.

Gravel was fun & glad I did the race. I was expecting it too be much worse. Found it to be smooth & was easy to Get top speed there. So I'm sorry for those who crashed but next time smarter riding could've saved you i.e. move to The front out of danger.

Agreed, but if everyone was smart and stayed at the front... Don't need to explain, just be happy for not everyone staying at the front :thumbup:

I was feeling strong and then somewhere on the Malan's hoogte rd (after gravel) I just lost my legs and could not stick to that front bunch. Most of the % group must have passed me by the time I crossed the matts.

Personally I think it is stupid to add the gravel section. If it was just a climb it should have been fine.

Well organized race. Hope the organizers reached their targets

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Awesome race !! Loved the route, but from $, the bunch was way too big !!

Anyone know who won and what there time was ?

Having had my puncture which took ages to fix for some reason, I ended up with F to H riders mostly, and I will never complain about my normal groups again. There was no way I was going to try move to the front of anything. Actually, in hindsight the gravel was fun... But I took a chill pill and took it easy.

I preferred to stay out of the front bunch of $ in case there was a crash and the whole bunch went down.

I paid the price tho and never made it back to the front group.