Two Cyclists Taken Out in Sea Point

Greybeard

I witnessed two cyclists, almost three, being taken out by an Idiot opening his car door in Sea Point this morning at 06h30. Shock and bruising seem to be the main injuries but they have been taken to hospital for proper observation. The Cervelo TT bike lost its front forks but other than some peripheral damage, not too bad.

A good Samaritan who stopped and parked her bike and walked down the main road to signal traffic with her light took off her helmet and sunglasses and put them on the verge as she was busy waving down the rush, turned around to find that some a......e had nicked them!

Her name is Kelly and she did not deserve this for her effort in helping until the Police and ambulance arrived.

I am sure there is a bike shop or wholesaler out there who will graciously help her out with a replacement. Come on guys, I have her contact details!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking in so many ways!!

Last night I participated in moonlight mass ride in Somerset west...on my way home - we were passed by lady in blue golf flying straight over a stop street...not even touching her brake lights...It was as if the stop street was not even there...

Be careful out there...the roads are full of idjuts!!

I witnessed two cyclists, almost three, being taken out by an Idiot opening his car door in Sea Point this morning at 06h30. Shock and bruising seem to be the main injuries but they have been taken to hospital for proper observation. The Cervelo TT bike lost its front forks but other than some peripheral damage, not too bad.

A good Samaritan who stopped and parked her bike and walked down the main road to signal traffic with her light took off her helmet and sunglasses and put them on the verge as she was busy waving down the rush, turned around to find that some a......e had nicked them!

Her name is Kelly and she did not deserve this for her effort in helping until the Police and ambulance arrived.

I am sure there is a bike shop or wholesaler out there who will graciously help her out with a replacement. Come on guys, I have her contact details!

We can probably also get a few people to contribute to the glasses and helmet if nothing else materializes...

To the cyclists involved - sorry to hear this and hope you heal up quickly. I had a close call on Beach road Seapoint a few weeks ago where a motorist opened his door a few meters in front of me and on sheer instinct, and almost involuntary reaction, swerved and JUST missed the car door. Luckily for me there wasn't a car directly behind me or I would have been run over! Scary..

Lesson for me was ride ultra defensively when moving past parked cars and try look through the rear window for any activity in the cars.

To the lady that helped, you are a STAR. If no stores/suppliers come to the party I will contribute R100 (hopefully along with others) to replace you missing kit. OP just PM me if required.

There are 3 bike shops in the immediate vicinity, some good marketing, I have contacted one.

How about we actually get a fund going and then approach an lbs to get a serious discount and whatever is left over as a gift card for a massage or some spa pampering?

Challenge ASG to come to the party with some of their products. Hubbers seem to like their products advertised on here. Some good Hub-PR to be made. Just a thought.......

How about we actually get a fund going and then approach an lbs to get a serious discount and whatever is left over as a gift card for a massage or some spa pampering?

I'm in for a few hundred ronds. let me know where to send it.Get those other two door busters to sign the card

Edited by Capricorn