Helmets optional?!

TheKaiser

I think the law isn't good or bad. It's pointless. The commuting worker can't afford in the region of R1000 for a lid, and the law isn't enforced.

Yep - that's now a different problem. The thousands of people who can't afford one even if they wanted too

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a father and son on the trails last week, son donned with lid, father without.First, the double standard killed me and second, who will comfort the kid while daddy lies concussed on the ground, possibly bleeding.

:excl: I lost a piece of my ear in June, it's healed up quite nicely but it would've been a piece of my head had it not been for the 2 week old Kali Protectives "Chakra" helmet available at Cycle Factory in Montague Gardens for ±600 bucks! :whistling:

Well I'm one of those "believe strongly that the helmet has “saved their life"", according to http://cyclehelmets.org/.

There can be a lot of arguments around this but I can tell you when you dive head first into a rock garden ... and you have a look at your helmet in the aftermath ... thank goodness something was strapped to my head :)

Stop worrying about other peoples heads and worry about your, and your loved ones heads.

The rest... its called natural selection

With you on this, irritates the hell out of me when people rant about helmets on thehub. Leave them be, if I or anyone else choose to ride without a helmet then it is our problem.

It's the same as riding in a boat on the river without a life jacket. Are the helmet police going to rant about that too? Each to it's own.

*RANT ON*

On Sunday moring as myself and a bunch headed back up suikerbossie from Camps Bay side, an elderly man (prob mid 60's) was coming down suikerbossie (from hout bay side) on a road bike, fully kitted out with NO helmet on...

I guess its his choice after all to ride without a helmet on as he will suffer the consequences if something goes wrong, but then i ask, what kind of example is he setting to younger riders and the kids out there??

*RANT OFF*

*RANT ON*

On Sunday moring as myself and a bunch headed back up suikerbossie from Camps Bay side, an elderly man (prob mid 60's) was coming down suikerbossie (from hout bay side) on a road bike, fully kitted out with NO helmet on...

I guess its his choice after all to ride without a helmet on as he will suffer the consequences if something goes wrong, but then i ask, what kind of example is he setting to younger riders and the kids out there??

*RANT OFF*

Why should he be setting an example to anyone? And if he's made it to his mid-60s he probably knows what he's doing.

There's times to wear one and times where its not so important. Not a big deal.

Agree. Riding on the R21 at peak hour, wear a lid. Riding to the PnP down the street, not so much.

I came crashing down on Saturday... went from bike, head first into the ground. Broke my leg, but I'm so thankful for my helmet. I don't want to think what could have happened without a helmet. 80/20.... in 80% of accidents (and more) a safety belt will save your life, in some it will not... my wife survived a car accident (car caught fire and exploded) by not wearing a safetybelt (she got thrown out the car before it caugth fire). So the 20% cases does exist.... however, I'll take my chances on the 80% and not the 20% and wear my safetybelt & helmet!!

Edited by ACM

I know that helmets are not optional (they are required by law when riding on a public road in South Africa.) However, I believe this law is bad, and helmets should be optional.

If you would like to know my reasons: please go and do some reading here: http://cyclehelmets.org/.

A head injury doesn't always have to be catastrophic. Anyone that's ever been admitted to hospital for a few stitches to the cranium will confirm that it takes very little to draw blood from your head. And it always hurts like hell.

I came crashing down on Saturday... went from bike, head first into the ground. Broke my leg, but I'm so thankful for my helmet. I don't want to think what could have happened without a helmet. 80/20.... in 80% of accidents (and more) a safety belt will save your life, in some it will not... my wife survived a car accident (car caught fire and exploded) by not wearing a safetybelt (she got thrown out the car before it caugth fire). So the 20% cases does exist.... however, I'll take my chances on the 80% and not the 20% and wear my safetybelt & helmet!!

Probably more like 99% / 1%

I will be honest. With regards to helmets, I am on the fence. It is a safety device and one should wear it at all times.

But, if you don't want to wear one, and are prepared to deal with the consequences then that is your choice as well.

Many a guy has overtaken me on a training ride. When I ask them why they don't wear a 'lid, I ask why. Most of them just don't want to or could not be bothered, and say if they fall, they fall so be it.

Just do not let it worry you.

Children not being made to wear seatbelts is another whole thread on its own !

I'm not sure what you read that leads you to believe the law is a bad thing.

Almost everywhere that cycle helmets have been promoted, cycle use has fallen. Where promotion has been strong, or the use of helmets made mandatory and the law enforced, falls in cycle use have often been substantial.

http://cyclehelmets.org/1020.html

There is good evidence that the most important factor in enhancing safety for an individual when cycling in traffic is the number of other people who cycle. When cycle use doubles, the risk of a motorist hitting a cyclist goes down by about a third.

http://cyclehelmets.org/1186.html

So if helmet promotion/law has the effect of causing cycling to fall, this has the unintended effect of decreasing the safety of cyclists on the road.

I really don't want to get into a debate about this on TheHub right now. (I know from experience how quickly the quality of the debate decreases.) This will be my last post to this topic. If you really want to convince me otherwise, pm me and we can talk about it in person.

If wearing a helmet is the difference between you having the confidence to cycle (or to cycle more) or not, you should wear one! The health benefits of cycling outweigh greatly any negative consequences of helmet use.

On the other hand, if wearing a helmet makes it likely that you will cycle less, then the balance of advantage is cycling without a helmet.

In all cases you should regard learning to cycle skilfully as your most effective defence against injury of any kind.

http://cyclehelmets.org/1016.html

Edited by GaryvdM

I will be honest. With regards to helmets, I am on the fence. It is a safety device and one should wear it at all times.

But, if you don't want to wear one, and are prepared to deal with the consequences then that is your choice as well.

Many a guy has overtaken me on a training ride. When I ask them why they don't wear a 'lid, I ask why. Most of them just don't want to or could not be bothered, and say if they fall, they fall so be it.

Just do not let it worry you.

I think the argument is very similar to why guys dont use condoms Slowbee.

But then that's hard to check for when they're riding a bike.

I'm in the camp of make your own choices and stop worrying about others. Yes, I'll wear a helmet along the trail but sometimes I really enjoy a casual ride either to the office, around the parks or just practicing in the quiet street near my house without a lid on. Why? It just feels really great sometimes to muck about without gloves, glasses and helmet, etc.

I understand that feeling comes with a slight safety risk but then so does wearing an XC or road helmet instead of a full face; you compromise a bit of safety for a bit of comfort and convenience.

Edited by Rata Del Spruit

On the trail I'd say no lid = Darwin award candidate. Pushing limits riding over the lumpiest terrain possible is going to lead to you falling on your pip sooner or later. Most likely sooner.

Commuting - I'd have to say make it optional. You shouldn't be taking chances in traffic, and you should be acutely aware of what's going on around you at all times to avoid becoming roadkill stuck in a taxi's (or any other passing muppet's) grille. You're also most likely not travelling at massive speed as you would be either as a roadie or a MTBer.

But that's just IMHO.

More riding, less judging.