Could I bother a few of ya for advice? Tire liners.....

Josh0

Excuse for asking advice on this topic, I know its been discussed in the past. I need fresh advice.

What are your thoughts about tire liners matched with slime tubes? Should I rather just go tubeless, my wheelset is 2bliss ready. My GF on the other hand has a 2012 GT Avalanche 2.0 and her wheelset is not tubeless ready.

We mostly do trail riding in rocky and thorny terrain. Damn those bloody devil thorns, I can't get a proper ride in without re-inflating OUR tires throughout the ride.

What do you propose?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My touring bike is tubed with liners using a touring tyre. Very heavy indeed. Used to use tubeless but covering distance/day on knoblies is a problem for me. Had no punctures with liners and tubes. I do not believe the slime filled tubes work. Well, they never have for me.

My GF has recently acquired a bike and I have insisted she go tubeless. Safety is paramount and also it narrows the chances of punctures considerably. I moved from tubes to tubeless and I will NEVER go back to tubes again. I had so many punctures it was not worth it.

Go tubeless without a doubt. Money well spent, I promise you.

Devil thorns on tubes are a risk, not so riding tubeless.

Edited by Sepia

I had tyre liners and tubes with slime, works ok, but not nearly as well as tubeless. And it made a big mess inside the tyre.

Go for proper tubeless.

As my mate Vic's wife would say 'I have 2 words for you Tjoop-Liss', it really is the answer :thumbup:

I know that many will shoot this down but I have some training bikes with non tubeless tyres fitted as tubeless (merely a cost saving excercise) and it works fine ........

I rode successfully for a number of year on my 26 with self seal tubes and liners, only once did i have a puncture during a race that i had to change the tube as it did not seal. Roll on the day i got my 29 fitted with sealant tubes, first ride a flat and thereafter continuous puncture issues, swapped to tubeless and never looked back. Sure the tire has flattened but nothing that a bomb (if i'm in a hurry) or pump has not fixed and never had to fit a tube.

Thanks again to you all.

I quickly rushed home, took both our wheelsets off and rushed them to my LBS for the tubeless conversion. Her Nevegals are old tech so I'll stick her with some more modern ready tires.

Wheels will be ready after work, so tomorrow I will go for my first BLISS ride! F Yeah!

Thanks again to you all.

I quickly rushed home, took both our wheelsets off and rushed them to my LBS for the tubeless conversion. Her Nevegals are old tech so I'll stick her with some more modern ready tires.

Wheels will be ready after work, so tomorrow I will go for my first BLISS ride! F Yeah!

If you don't mind me asking what is the tubeless conversion going to cost you?

Thanks again to you all.

Remember..... to inflate your new tubeless tires to the correct pressure.

Tubeless tire pressures are significantly lower than what you are used to with tubed.

Don't assume the LBS pumped them to the correct pressure.

Lower pressure = better traction and comfort...

If you don't mind me asking what is the tubeless conversion going to cost you?

Hi Schizo

They charge R370 per wheelset, so R740 total. For Stans rimtape, valves and sealant. I had to buy my GF a set of Kenda Slant tires for R450 each as well though........

It will be worth it though, more time on the trails.

Remember..... to inflate your new tubeless tires to the correct pressure.

Tubeless tire pressures are significantly lower than what you are used to with tubed.

Don't assume the LBS pumped them to the correct pressure.

Lower pressure = better traction and comfort...

Hi SwissVan

Thanks I will make sure about the pressures, I am sure the LBS will probs inflate them alot as to set the bead.

Will just check them after the pickup.