First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

My understanding of the situation is that Sanparks has given us a sandbox to play in. The problem is, the size of the box. Added to that, is the problem of entry fees and funds raised from green card purchases not going back into the trails. But it doesn't matter how much money you have, whether its derived from entry fees or privately: if Sanparks doesn't give the builders more room to maneuver, we are stuck. Please clue me up where i've misunderstood the situation, but this is my feeling on the matter.

Good summary. Thanks.

Frankly, I'd like to see a debate from the incumbent chairs to discuss this so i can make an informed vote. All this call for change without so much as a whiff of a strategy to resolve the real problem doesn't generate much confidence that change is actually required. At least change on the level of the volunteer and sanparks liaison groups.

Yes, please.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meurant Botha is chairing the AGM and I strongly suggest not drawing San Parks attention to this thread.

Meurant Botha is chairing the AGM and I strongly suggest not drawing San Parks attention to this thread.

They probably already are. One of the higher ups is an anonymous member.

Seems like this thread is rapidly heading in the right direction, thank goodness

Why should SANPARKS they not see this ?

@Oldflow thanks for the clarification.

As DJR said to me at the Christmas ride, getting one coherent group of bicycle riders, representing all interested disciplines of bike riding, with respect to Tokai, so that one voice is heard in the discussions with SANPARK's is messed up and ugly.

Good up (and GOOD LUCK) to whoever had the initiative to try and start something with one voice and have to deal with all the flak of the unhappy who for years have been doing just what they like when they like.

Might be a little late but relevant non the less......

I have a couple of questions for Vince / : I'm not Vince, but my name is Rika and I like facts. I see I'm late to the party, but I've already done all the typing!

1) The concerned riders – are they representing the full user group of Tokai or only the DH users, which is a small % of the users? No, just like in real life, DH is probably in the minority. This has been mentioned more that once in this thread.

2) What do you think SANParks attitude will be towards the club if the committee composes of guys that were knowingly building illegal trails in Tokai? Almost all successful trail systems in the world were started by former illegal builders. I am sure we can all, SANPARKS included, be adults about this and get on with working together. If you have concerns, drop in at the office and ask to speak to someone in authority. Nominate only people who have not done any of the illegal building or put yourself forward.

3) Have notices been placed at the Tokai entrance so that ALL users are notified about the first AGM? Everybody don’t subscribe to the Hub or DH FB pages. Covered in a few posts just above yours. A lot of the "concerned riders" don't hang out on the internet either.

4) What will this new committee do different than Deon? Yes I know they will build better trails but HOW will they do it. What is your plan? Do you have 20 guys lined up and ready to dig and you have your relationship with SANParks sorted? All requirements met that Deon had in place? Covered in quite a few posts already - I for one would want a professional to do the initial work and layout, volunteers to do maintenance and general upkeep. Yes that costs money, but if the will is there we can get the funds. I will personally contribute and work at fundraising along with all other interested parties.

My concerns:

1) Only the DH will be represented in the new club resulting in 10% of the users calling shots for 100% of the trails

If you like trails like Welvanpas yellow and new black route, Jonkers Neverending Story, Lower Canary, Fire Trail, lower sections of black diamond, you'll have no reason for not sending your 10 year old down a trail.

2) You don’t have a relationship with SANParks – you were recently building illegal trails in Tokai – SANParks won’t trust you since you showed that you din’t give a damm about their rules before See answer to no 2 above

3) The “new club” members will disappear after 1 or 2 trails and then the rest of the users with sit with the resulting issues We ARE the rest of the users. It's also not a club but an accountable committee - I am expecting and demanding plans, progress reports, etc. Much like the Tygerberg trail updates from Patrick.

Going forward:

1) Get a club going which represents ALL disciplines or form a Tokai DH club that will only look after the DH trails.

What EVERYONE wants. Please nominate whoever you feel will best represent your interests, or stand yourself.

2) The workings of “Tokai trail builders” should stay as is for the interim until the new MTB club has found its feet and provided a proper plan on the way forward and their intentions for Tokai. I speak under correction, but I think a plan is already either complete or almost complete. We will all know on the 18th.

3) Failing the above maintenance and trail building will drop to a null resulting in so much more issues for the new club

Since the above does not fail, neither should the building and maintenance.

*** Wasn’t the new double black in Jonkers build in summer? No. Contact Bennet from Ace of Spades for accurate date and weather information - https://www.facebook.com/aceofspades.bennetnel?fref=ts

I don't know why you keep saying Deon has left - has he? I'm nominating him for a position, you can too. Unless he does not want to stand - Deon could you let me know please?

Crow wanted to know who is chairing the meeting - poor, long suffering Meurant Botha.

I know where a lot of the latest lot of volunteers are coming from - everyone who has ever picked up a spade on behalf of others feel like they are the 1st or only ones to do so. We have all been there. A few years ago I was responsible for making sure all the tracks for the WP DH series as well as one National were built and maintained. I got so gatvol, I almost stopped racing.

Tokai has a very long history of activists and trail building that I don't even know all the details of. I do know that the very 1st trails were right on top of the neck - the flattish section left of where the mast tar road starts. Next was the DH, with a slightly different routing than it has today, but roughly the same start and finish. They were built and maintained by Downhillers back in the day when Tokai was a garden of Eden from top to bottom and you couldn't tell the difference between DH bikes and XC bikes.

Everyone. Please stop hating and fearing. Please nominate the people you think will represent you best, or put yourself forward.

Nominations for elected positions can be sent to info@amarider.co.za. The closing date for nominations is 5 p.m. on 17 February 2014

The nomination form should include:

Committee Position:

Nominated person:

Email:

Phone:

Nominated by:

Email:

Phone:

Guest Omega Man

Might be a little late but relevant non the less......

I have a couple of questions for Vince / :

2) What do you think SANParks attitude will be towards the club if the committee composes of guys that were knowingly building illegal trails in Tokai?

I can assure you that Vince has NOT recently been building illegal trails in Tokai. The illegal trails named slippery roots were originally built by 2 people I know well about 6 years ago and recently re opened. I'll happily give you their names privately. As far as their use the last time I looked at Strava more than 300 people had ridden them to date. The stories of him building in tokai illegally of late are completely untrue. Vince's most recent building efforts have been at Steilte where he spent Months building the DH trail used most recently for the WP Champs.

The problem with tokai? In five years when all the trees are gone its gonna be a dust bowl unless sustainable, maintainable trails are built now. And yes maybe the dh riders are the only ones complaining at the moment but if all the trails turn into sand pits then everyone will be unhappy. So whoever ends up running the show has a lot of responsibilities in the next few years to keep tokai a viable mtb spot, never mind a world class one.

was gonna be my suggestion as the oke who draws the respect of all. Good to see he is involved.

I don't know why you keep saying Deon has left - has he? I'm nominating him for a position, you can too. Unless he does not want to stand - Deon could you let me know please?

Crow wanted to know who is chairing the meeting - poor, long suffering Meurant Botha.

I know where a lot of the latest lot of volunteers are coming from - everyone who has ever picked up a spade on behalf of others feel like they are the 1st or only ones to do so. We have all been there. A few years ago I was responsible for making sure all the tracks for the WP DH series as well as one National were built and maintained. I got so gatvol, I almost stopped racing.

Tokai has a very long history of activists and trail building that I don't even know all the details of. I do know that the very 1st trails were right on top of the neck - the flattish section left of where the mast tar road starts. Next was the DH, with a slightly different routing than it has today, but roughly the same start and finish. They were built and maintained by Downhillers back in the day when Tokai was a garden of Eden from top to bottom and you couldn't tell the difference between DH bikes and XC bikes.

Everyone. Please stop hating and fearing. Please nominate the people you think will represent you best, or put yourself forward.

Nominations for elected positions can be sent to info@amarider.co.za. The closing date for nominations is 5 p.m. on 17 February 2014

The nomination form should include:

Committee Position:

Nominated person:

Email:

Phone:

Nominated by:

Email:

Phone:

Hi, Rika,

What would the process be for proxies, if you cannot attend? There are numerous guys that have emerged this morning who I would gladly have vote on my behalf...

(probably cos they were all out on their bikes on the weekend.... :ph34r: )

Another :thumbup:

Guest Omega Man

I built some of the illegal trails, so dont nomimate me for anything please.

Hahaha. Busted!

Edited by Omega Man