[Event] Medallion Tour De Stellenbosch

DMC007

Race was stopped when temperature went over 40....I did the short route with the the wife on the tandem and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can imagine the long route must have been tough today.

Saw some people looking insanely bleak coming in.

Raleigh tandem with PPA shirts on?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much had the same experience.

Bonked at 90. Stopped at every water stop to get a ice water shower then. As my body temp came down I was able to push hard and strung a whole load of people along. But the cooling effect only lasts a couple of min then you back to scratch looking for that ice again.

Found Wannabe hiding under one of the water point cars. I convinced him to get back into the Sahara with me.

I must say that the last 5 km felt longer than the whole race. I saw 37 deg on my Garmin early this morning, I will upload the ride later to see where it got to.

This was probably one of my hardest races ever. I just can't take that heat.

If it wasn't for that it would have been a awesome race though.

Was it just me or was this race much tougher than I anticipated?

Well me and the misseus did our first tandem race and for the first 40km (which we did in 1hr) we stayed with the A bunch and really had a good time! There after it all went pear shaped! As was expected, with the amount of training we did, we always would have struggled towards the end, but man, was this a test of character! I new we started off way to fast, but when a tandem got momentem its hard to stop!

That bike is so hard on your ass, I'll be happy if I can use my backside before the Argus!

Not feeling to positive about my cycling career at the moment!

An extra waterpoint with some coke would have helped!

Ditto, except i never rode with my wife...

I now I'm finding it hard to sit down.

Wow, a proper hardcore bonk for me. Stuck with the front of D for about 80km, ran out of water and proceeded to cramp, get dropped and cry (in that order).

I think the last 10km took me 40 minutes and old toppies on Diamond Back MTBs were wizzing past me.

Ditto, except i never rode with my wife...

I now I'm finding it hard to sit down.

meezo was that you I saw riding with no partner on the tandem?

Everyone knew it was going to be hot, so why not stock up with enough fluids for the ride if you don't want to stop at the water points & miss your bunch now you go bonk & miss your bunch anyway. I rode with 2x750ml camelback bottles, which meant I had enough cold fluids right up until the finish line.

meezo was that you I saw riding with no partner on the tandem?

Yep. It was our "first" outing. The bike wasn't setup for us. We stopped just after paardeberg, only for my partner to realize he's unable to continue.

So i thought.......

....and regretting now!

Tough ride this one. Started in cat 3, and it was okay until about 50 km into the race when I decided to go with the break...it never formed or got away but it was a lot of fun nonetheless riding up front. Got to hear a few skinner stories.

Legs were klaar after this and popped!

Rest of the ride was hot and last 10km took forever.

Love this route.

Edited by aVenge

I thoroughly enjoyed this ride, but why were the timing mats a good distance down the road from the finish line?

After the finish I sat under a tree to rest for 20mins then only crossed the timing mats on my way to get a coke.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Rather troubled by it...

Other than that, great day. Thanks all

Raleigh tandem with PPA shirts on?

Raleigh tandem, but mismatched kit. I had red new balance kit on and my wife a white top. Think we started in the second group... Bit late, rode pretty much alone.

Froze one of my bottles of water last night as an experiment to see if it will be cool to drink when I run out of my first bottle. Didn't work. Was warm.

Otherwise had a great race starting in E (seeded C) hanging back enjoying the scenery for a change.

And just have to mention this... WE GOT MEDALS!, vewy nice :)

Rode Cat 3 today. Unfortunately at about 60kms not sure what happened but collided with a bike and crashed. Nothing serious just a graze.

I really want to thank the man who basically sacrificed his race to help me up. He lost the group because of me. He paced me back to some people and told him to hang onto my wheel to recover unfortunately never saw him again.

Whoever you are thank you ! The rest of the race was just really hard and incredibly windy and hot. Became about just crossing the line.

Yep. It was our "first" outing. The bike wasn't setup for us. We stopped just after paardeberg, only for my partner to realize he's unable to continue.

So i thought.......

....and regretting now!

WTF!

Your partner asked me at the chill out area whether I passed you and I was confused.

This explains it all.

Recover well, Bru.

Raleigh tandem, but mismatched kit. I had red new balance kit on and my wife a white top. Think we started in the second group... Bit late, rode pretty much alone.

We were in the 3rd group - Avalanche Tandem. What was your time? Saw quite a few tandems on the road today.

I HATED the fact that the race venue was so flippen far from the finish line.. After all that punishment the cokes should of been waiting on the timing mats!

I think that was the worst 5KM of my life!!!!!

I didnt make it over hels. A recurring ltb injury took me out. I wasnt gonna chance it and miss the argus. Coming back up hels with my car (enjoying the aircon), it was good to see so many youngsters riding, especially the development riders. Cuddos to guys doing great work.

I performed pickup duties later after the race was canned. I felt sorry for the guys who came so far only to hear, 'sorry race is cancelled.' If the guys werent bonked at that stage, the news probably took the last puffs of wind out of their sails.

Congrats to all finishers. It was a tough one...