Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/cyclists-charged-over-driver-s-assault-1.1656676#.UxcBkPm1ZcS

Cape Town - The two cyclists who allegedly assaulted a motorist in Sea Point have been charged and are appearing in court on Wednesday.

And the pair have been banned from Sunday’s Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour.

Police spokesman FC van Wyk said on Wednesday morning: “Two men, Faizel Hendricks, 39, and Mogammed Solomon, 29, were arrested at Sea Point SAPS for common assault and malicious damage to property.”

Van Wyk disclosed they were seeking a third suspect.

The pair remained in custody from midday on Tuesday until 2.30am, when they were released on a police warning of R500 each.

They were due to appear in Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

Pedal Power Association chairman Steve Hayward told the Cape Argus on Wednesday: “We have checked pair’s names and they are members of the PPA.

“We have pulled their names from the Tour,” he said.

“Action will certainly also be taken against any further cyclists who may have been involved.”

On Tuesday the driver, Cape Town student Ibrahim Waggie, spoke exclusively to the Cape Argus about being attacked by cyclists – an incident which went viral on social media.

Waggie, 19, had been assisting as a volunteer at a charity event, the Sunshine D Polar Ice Cream 10km Big Walk, on Sunday.

His job was to drive a Toyota Quantum van, sponsored by Market Toyota, which tailed the field. The fellow volunteers in his van were tasked with picking up empty water sachets which had been abandoned by walkers along the route.

After stopping at a red traffic light, he was allegedly assaulted by cyclists he had overtaken – with fists, a bicycle and pepper spray.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Road rage,cycle rage,surf rage...its all the same...regardless whos at fault....if you strike first,physically or verbally,the law is pretty clear,the problem arises when and if it ever goes to court,without full video evidence,and 12mths minimum down the line, it's he did vs who did vs when did.

Dont think they can. That would be like saying PPA & CSA can ban you for jumping a red light... breaking the law in both instances (in my opion they should be able to for both!!!)

Yes, they can . It's what they choose to ban and the issue of proof

It's like getting a fine for speeding but somebody not getting a fine for jumping a red light.

Breaking the law in both instances.

They can't ban you from riding your bike, but can ban you from the participating in their events.

Kind of like a club/bar, a bouncer sees you fighting outside, he can ban you from coming in. Doesn't stop you going for a drink somewhere else, but you are not welcome there.

Retweeted by faizel Hendricks

22_bigger.jpg The Noble Quran@TheNobleQuran Feb 26

“Do not become angry, and Paradise will be yours.”

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/cyclists-charged-over-driver-s-assault-1.1656676#.UxcBkPm1ZcS

Cape Town - The two cyclists who allegedly assaulted a motorist in Sea Point have been charged and are appearing in court on Wednesday.

And the pair have been banned from Sunday’s Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour.

Police spokesman FC van Wyk said on Wednesday morning: “Two men, Faizel Hendricks, 39, and Mogammed Solomon, 29, were arrested at Sea Point SAPS for common assault and malicious damage to property.”

Van Wyk disclosed they were seeking a third suspect.

The pair remained in custody from midday on Tuesday until 2.30am, when they were released on a police warning of R500 each.

They were due to appear in Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

Pedal Power Association chairman Steve Hayward told the Cape Argus on Wednesday: “We have checked pair’s names and they are members of the PPA.

“We have pulled their names from the Tour,” he said.

“Action will certainly also be taken against any further cyclists who may have been involved.”

On Tuesday the driver, Cape Town student Ibrahim Waggie, spoke exclusively to the Cape Argus about being attacked by cyclists – an incident which went viral on social media.

Waggie, 19, had been assisting as a volunteer at a charity event, the Sunshine D Polar Ice Cream 10km Big Walk, on Sunday.

His job was to drive a Toyota Quantum van, sponsored by Market Toyota, which tailed the field. The fellow volunteers in his van were tasked with picking up empty water sachets which had been abandoned by walkers along the route.

After stopping at a red traffic light, he was allegedly assaulted by cyclists he had overtaken – with fists, a bicycle and pepper spray.

This particular cycling club received 96 Argus Entries paid by the PPA this year. I am pretty sure that even if that funding was withdrawn, the point would hit home

PPA should look at their list of sponsored clubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear. Faizel has really shot himself in the foot... Especially if you think about the facebook comment that was deleted and knowing it was him involved.

Once a schmuck, always a schmuck.

Hypocrites always hold themselves to a lower standard than others. I'll bet his black lycra shorts are stained legal green by now.

So now that they have been named and shamed... hope their bosses at work will consider whether to fire them!!

Sages on the hub making Barry Roux look like my cousin Vinny

IF IT ISNT THE MOST AGGRO OKE ON THE HUB :ph34r:

IF IT ISNT THE MOST AGGRO OKE ON THE HUB :ph34r:

I could smell the sarcasm in that post, I always perceived a sage to be quite wise.