Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Which is why the club has fingered the two main instigators

Now all this attention has been directed at MC2, why is Bellville Cycling Club getting off scott free? SOme of their club members are also in that video participating in the attack. The process of disciplinary is only fair of those thugs are also disciplined.

Bellville Cycling Club responded that the kit that was worn by the individual was sponsored, this was stated much earlier in the thread, i think in the first 5 or 10 pages somewhere

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note about conduct, attitude and violence:

If any Muhammedya club member that is chastised or chirped or intimidated by wearing his/her club jersey, say on Sunday, it'll be very uncool from another member of the cycling community.

Arrogance

Prejudicial

Entitled

Unfair

Bullying

These qualities come to mind.

The matter is being aptly handled by those who should handle it

<snip>

You can expect to be sworn at, spit at, maced, perhaps even have a wheel slammed into your face. Not because you deserve it, but because the public out there is still angry about the whole thing and by wearing that jersey they might think that you are condoning your club members' actions (we know you mean the opposide, but they don't).

In the peloton you should be prepared to have a very lonely ride as riders are sure to avoid you and if you are in any of the more competitive bunches they'll try to drop you at the first opportunity as they would not want to be associated with that jersey that you are wearing so proudly.

<snip>

I wont condone that sort of response. It does not mean that I don't expect it. Its like wearing a AWB uniform at an ANC rally. Its just asking for trouble.

It only takes one out of 30k to switch a guy in an MCC shirt and we have big drama.

I feel like you are cleverly wording these statements in a "you expect others to do this" way, but you are in fact indirectly making these threats yourself. Further violence just makes things worse. It's just as bad as the incident which we are discussing.

Remember if MC2 is like any other road club, they probably have a A, B, C, D groups out on the road on any day. If the group that was responsible for the attack was say the A group, are your threats fair on B, C, D riders?

Please can I ask you to stop making statements like this.

Why would the group attack the driver who would be on the opposite side of the vehicle for spraying water on them?? They would go after the chaps in the back surely?

Somehow I sense the driver's account is probably omitting the part where he tried to squeeze the group left along the road somewhere after words had already happened. Doubt a 19 year student would have the gall to admit to the media he thought it clever to show the group where he believed they should be riding by squeezing them along that stretch whilst they were at pace, especially if he was egged on by his mates in the back...

Let's say this driver was at fault and assume he did enough to get people totally enraged ,then let's ask did he really deserve what he got.

The answer would probably be yes, did he learn his lesson, maybe yes, maybe not.

However, getting a wheel in the face, that is aggravated assault and the courts won't look at lightly.

Spraying pepper spray also doesn't get dealt with too lightly either nowadays, punching someone (even poorly so) whilst struggling to breathe and see, is also assaut which the courts won't look at lightly.

Doing it in a group, just plain stupid and goes nowhere in helping them if they were to try and build a defense around their case.

Kicking and damaging the vehicle repeatedly, is malicious damage to property, again no amount of "they attacked me first Djou Honna" is going to get you out of that.

Doing it in club kit and embarrassing your club as well as your provincial body, well that is just plain stupid.

Getting on to the news and all over social media, well bad luck to them and good news to motorists and public who already hate cyclists.

The only one to really suffer badly out of this , is CYCLING itself.

And perhaps sometimes things really need to get bad, and exposed in a manner as this so we can all catch a wake up call and realise that carrying on like a bunch of hooligans really achieves nothing.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Bellville Cycling Club responded that the kit that was worn by the individual was sponsored, this was stated much earlier in the thread, i think in the first 5 or 10 pages somewhere

Ah see with so much posting details get lost in translation...

But it seems to be a convenient let out doesn't it...

one club sponsoring another clubs member with the first clubs kit....hmmmmmm <raises eyebrow>

I feel like you are cleverly wording these statements in a "you expect others to do this" way, but you are in fact indirectly making these threats yourself. Further violence just makes things worse. It's just as bad as the incident which we are discussing.

Remember if MC2 is like any other road club, they probably have a A, B, C, D groups out on the road on any day. If the group that was responsible for the attack was say the A group, are your threats fair on B, C, D riders?

Ai Gary.

It will be very difficult to switch someone on the tandem. All I'm saying is don't be surprised to see another youtube clip on Monday. Like most other cyclist I would like to avoid this. But go out and but a MCC shirt if your heart tells you to ride in one.

On a related note about conduct, attitude and violence:

If any Muhammedya club member that is chastised or chirped or intimidated by wearing his/her club jersey, say on Sunday, it'll be very uncool from another member of the cycling community.

Arrogance

Prejudicial

Entitled

Unfair

Bullying

These qualities come to mind.

The matter is being aptly handled by those who should handle it

DALE I 100% AGREE BUT HONESTLY DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE CLEVER TO DO SO WHILE EMOTIONS ARE RUNNING WILD

If found guilty, what should the punishment be.

I think the guilty parties should sponsor 5 needy riders, bikes , kit , race fees for the rest of the year.

My 2 cents worth.

I think the guilty parties should sponsor 5 needy riders, bikes , kit , race fees for the rest of the year.

My 2 cents worth.

WHEN YOU USE ANYTHING AROUND YOU TO HARM SOMEONE LIKE PEPPER SPRAY/WHEEL ITS NO LONGER ASSAULT ITS G.B.H

G.B.H SERIIIAAAAAS CHARGE

My 2 cents worth.

I doubt that sanction would satisfy either the victim or the rabid anti-cycling public.

I doubt that sanction would satisfy either the victim or the rabid anti-cycling public.

But it may get the message to other road users to respect each other - at least it's a start.

I honestly think you are misreading the intent in those posts.