Inaccurate Strava elevation

Dots

I noticed a number of inaccurate elevation measurements from strava. Anyone know why?

Edited by Dots

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Argus Strava range that I saw was up to 2900m and the majority between 1500-2000 where actual is +/-1100. Large difference.....

I noticed a number of inaccurate elevation measurements from strava. Anyone know why?

Strava are quite particular with whose elevation data they trust and use. For example, using a Garmin unit Strava uses Garmin's elevation data when importing, but for most others or when using your phone the elevation is calculated using Digital Elevation Models (DEM) based on your route. And there's quite a lot of room for error in this calculation.

I often see elevation values double that of a riding partner for the exact same ride and same distance. The only difference is he uses a Garmin and I've got a Bryton. Our devices show similar readings, but not when imported to Strava.

Yes, weather also plays a part. When it rains quite hard (pretty poor weather), my Strava elevation measurements are wrong. The elevation graph is erroneous - shows me going up the hill, but when I come back down, it does not drop to initial (before the hill) elevation.

I did a couple of rides in Sabie just before Christmas last year and used Strava on my phone for recording purposes. Both rides showed almost double the elevation of Garmin units used by others in the group. Must have something to do with the topography as with normal routes back here in town the elevation is pretty much spot on.

annoys me...my strava total ascent is much more than my gps reports because my bryton has a barometric altimeter...but strava does not trust my gps units elevation

Some of the older segments have inaccurate data - and they are fixing it slowly... it's a huge piece of work to recalculate everyones rides on those segments.

OK so I am glad that I should rather trust my garmin than Strava's attempt to elevation

Once you have uploaded to Strava, click the Elevation? link under your elevation gain figure. Then click correct elevation and it will look like it is reloading the web page, once it has done this wait a few seconds then refresh the web page again or press F5 and you should have your correct elevation for your ride.

post-40232-0-85330700-1394829917_thumb.jpg

I think it works by comparing your ride to topographical maps and then works out the elevation.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 and even I sometimes get figures that are slightly out, normally when there are short steep climbs and you ride them quickly I guess the device doesn't have time to accurately register the elevation changes.

This will be discrepancy will be much larger when using your phone as the gps unit/chip in there is no where nearly as accurate and is not really designed to register elevation changes rather horizontal and latitudinal changes. Some gps devices in phones also work in conjunction with gsm signals from the cell towers and this might also have an effect on the elevation. The only phones that I know off where the gps will still work even with out a sim card are Nokia all others need to be conected to the internet in some way otherwise in gps wont function.

Just my 2c.

Edited by Spoke101

Damn, so all the rides I've done with 2,000m ascent in 50km at 35kph are not actual hard man rides? Bugger. I looked so awesome and strong there.

The only phones that I know off where the gps will still work even with out a sim card are Nokia all others need to be conected to the internet in some way otherwise in gps wont function.

Just my 2c.

Lies!

I've logged a number of calls with Strava for this. Once you select "Correct Elevation" there is no way back. At Argus and Sabie you will find Garmin is accurate and Strava not.

At Argus the error was clear, somewhere near the top of Chappies the graph drops and spikes which adds elevation. They were able to correct this by recalculating the ride.

At Sabie the error is not apparent by looking at the graph and all they could offer was to delete the ride and one would reload but lose any achievements and spots on leaderboard.

Strava uses elevation data from maps which may not always be accurate.

• 9 months later...

This is actually something that I have recently noticed and has started to annoy me. Some time ago I moved from Runtastics Mountain Bike app to Strava as I like the segment PR's etc to track my own progress. I'm on iPhone.

Last weekend my wife went on a ride and I joined, from Greenpoint to Glencairn via Chapmans Peak. Before we rode I plotted the route in Stava's route builder and it indicated 1640m elev gain. After riding it though it showed 3280m gain, double.

So today we rode the same route again and I decided to track with both the Runtastic app and Strava, at the end Strava was again double the indicated elev gain for the plotted route but Runtastic was pretty much right, 50m or so out. Also, checked with a friend who has a Garmin and has ridden the exact same route and his elev gain is almost the same as Runtastic.

So then this leaves me to believe that the problem is not with smart phones and gps inaccuracy, but rather with how certain apps interpret the data provide by the phone.

Gonna install a few more cycling tracking apps and see how they all perform. Would be interesting to see, if they can get it right, why can't Strava?