Epic too easy?

jaaki

Saw a fact,on twitter that the drop out rate is much lower than previous, maybe has a point and the epic is getting too easy?

The point of the OP was it's getting too easy technically. I have had quite a few mates do the Epic. Some made some didn't. Those that didn't make it dropped out not because it was too technical. They dropped out because it was too physically demanding. Too a much climbing. Too hot. Too long.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, the dropout rate at the argus was also different from last year but the route was the same. Difficulty is not the deciding factor when it comes to dropout rates....

True.

But the course must have some factor of the drop out on epic. There will always be mechanicals etc, but some people must drop out due to the course.

Also the drop out in Argus has more to do with the entrants. It only cost R350 to enter as opposed to a team entry of R50k. Therefore different levels of prep. Charge people R25k to do the Argus and your drop out rate will better reflect the toughness of the course.

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

Jy weet verseker nie waarvan jy praat nie. Ek weet , ek het 3 gedoen(2 keer top 75). Dis egte mtb'ing. Kyk hoe suffer almal. As jy goed is, is jy goed ,maak nie saak road of mtb. Hy het nie die skill soos Sauser, maar jy raak nie 'n Euro Pro as jy nie BAIE goed is nie.

Sleeping in a tent for 7 nights, after a muddy looong ride, now that is hardcore!

Nah... Its all relative. Talk to the guys who race the expedition adventure races and do things like Freedom Challenge and Trans Alps.... The intensity is higher at Epic for sure but hardcore?

8 hours of sleep, provided hot/cooked food, massages, electricity, internet access, warmth etc.... I really don't see that as hardcore. Just 8 bike races in a row

I am by no means detracting from the achievement, merely saying that relativity in varying degrees of hardcoreness are definitely a point of perspective as opposed to anything else

You recon if we keep this thread alive till tomorrow that it could be seen as a Friday thread?

Maybe we should just remember what mtb actually stands for..........multi terrain bike !!

You recon if we keep this thread alive till tomorrow that it could be seen as a Friday thread?

I was going to ask about this friday thing. Are all daft posts supposed to be made on fridays?

Then everyone can get their panties in a bunch on the same day :wacko:

Edited by jaaki

Guest Karma

I was going to ask about this friday thing. Are all daft posts supposed to be made on fridays?

post-45906-0-59428000-1395945113_thumb.jpg

It must be easy , there's even a x-formula 1 dude doing it and that Soopabike oke as well and if a Sharks player can ride it :whistling:

no too mention a WHOLE bunch of previous disadvantaged blokes, that used to live in shacks...

no too mention a WHOLE bunch of previous disadvantaged blokes, that used to live in shacks...

There are ladies teams as well.

What a cool transformational campaign.

If you noticed most of the rugby players riding are ex Sharks. Not a Bull, Stormer,( Kempson was a Shark before Stormer) Cheetah, Lion in sight! Says something about the Sharks?

Who did Stransky play for??? thought it was a striped jersey...

Friday is renowned for argumentative topics on HubSA.

Things have toned down for a while now.

Your opening post is contentious.

It would've fitted in nicely with 'Friday Fight Club'.

Edited by ' Dale