Epic too easy?

jaaki

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

http://replygif.net/i/916.gif

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you said this 25 years ago sure...i could maybe agree with the statement....but things have changed and what used to just be MTB is now:

DH

Enduro

XC

Marathon

and something in between XC and Marathon

If you want only technical then sure go ahead and do DH and Enduro. If you want a muxture of technical and heart rate burning madness...then XC. If you want endurance in tough conditions with some technical then Marathon....remind us all again what category the epic falls under

It must be easy , there's even a x-formula 1 dude doing it and that Soopabike oke as well and if a Sharks player can ride it :whistling:

If you noticed most of the rugby players riding are ex Sharks. Not a Bull, Stormer,( Kempson was a Shark before Stormer) Cheetah, Lion in sight! Says something about the Sharks?

To the OP, what about cyclo-cross riders... They will not clasify themselves as MTBers, but I can assure you they probably have a very special skill-set on a bike.

Edited by dee_biker

If you noticed most of the rugby players riding are ex Sharks. Not a Bull, Stormer,( Kempson was a Shark before Stormer) Cheetah, Lion in sight! Says something about the Sharks?

Ja, they are all guys that learned to play Rugby at the other unions before ending their careers at the Sharks. :whistling: :devil:

Ja, they are all guys that learned to play Rugby at the other unions before ending their careers at the Sharks. :whistling: :devil:

Obviously, they needed toughening up!

It surely does , if it was a tough race the a few Bulls might try it . :clap:

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

http://replygif.net/i/1242.gif

These pro European roadies, whether they have ever touched a mountain bike or not, have more and better bike handling skills than any of us supposed "hardcore" okes have in one ball hair.

I don't even have those.......yet.

the epic is very easy - compared to the months of HARD, Hectic training, dedication, no social life, eat, sleep and shyte MTBing getting ready for the race.

Its an insanely tough race, those roadies in Europe cross train on MTBs and cyclocross, Rabon, has done extremely well to get to that level so quickly though, but if you see him on the bike, he is working hard, looks much more laboured than his partner.. bent double over the bars...