Epic too easy?

jaaki

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's easy like eating an icecream, but trying to figure out what type of rider stands the best chance of taking the title.

Maybe all the Giro and TDF guys will be racing it soon?

Big engine, Good skills, serious Mental toughness and it would appear some top mechanical knowledge won't hurt...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

Do you have any idea what cr@p you are spuinig

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

Not to throw bombs, but I thought Mr. BigEngine Rabon only got on a mountainbike 4 months ago?

Not sure what you been smoking but it's some pretty good stuff.

The guy comes from the Czech Rep.You do know that most of the European roadies ride CX or mtb in winter and have very good bike skills.

He has only been a pro mtber for 4 months but he has been off road before that.

Epic easy..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

These pro European roadies, whether they have ever touched a mountain bike or not, have more and better bike handling skills than any of us supposed "hardcore" okes have in one ball hair.

Yep, fact.

As a junior rabon raced mtb. plus any pro cyclist no matter the disciple has phenomenal bike handling skills. They are also 12 min back unfortunately.

As a junior rabon raced mtb. plus any pro cyclist no matter the disciple has phenomenal bike handling skills. They are also 12 min back unfortunately.

Tell you what like he said (Rabon) in his interview yesterday he is still figuring out how to use his power on the mtb.. but once he does.. ooh wowie it's gonna be something. And that win yesterday meant a lot to him. And yesterday's stage suited him.

100%, i think those taking around 10 hours should just HTFU and be thankful Dr Evil did not make the route much harder.

I read an article after last years Epic, where they interviewed a lady who did her first Epic. One of her comments was that its a lot more technical than you think and than it appears on TV. So its definitely not sunshine and district roads.

Remember that what we (non-Epic riders) see is a fraction of a fraction of the total route.

You will be surprised of what roadies are capable off...

Road riding isn't a soft sport compared to mtb'ing. In fact it's a tough sport in its own right. I do agree with some of the comment above. The mental capacity and fitness is already there. It's not that big of a jump to learn some technical skills. I know these skills come mostly with experience. Luckily, these pros have enough time to go out and put time in.

I know a lot of roadies who does a little bit of mtb'ing in their off time. If you don't know them as roadies, you will believe they are hard core mountain bikers.