Epic too easy?

jaaki

Nah... Its all relative. Talk to the guys who race the expedition adventure races and do things like Freedom Challenge and Trans Alps.... The intensity is higher at Epic for sure but hardcore?

8 hours of sleep, provided hot/cooked food, massages, electricity, internet access, warmth etc.... I really don't see that as hardcore. Just 8 bike races in a row

I am by no means detracting from the achievement, merely saying that relativity in varying degrees of hardcoreness are definitely a point of perspective as opposed to anything else

Actually, Alex Harris deemed it hardcore and said it's completely different to Freedom Challenge. The gist was though that both events are so different in nature they can't be compared, although in their respective natures they're both "hardcore"

So yes, it's all relative.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-12015-0-86071400-1395944521_thumb.jpg

Off topic ... but farkit I have a softness for stark black and white portraiture. This is part of a series of some the greatest work I've admired.

Saw a fact,on twitter that the drop out rate is much lower than previous, maybe has a point and the epic is getting too easy?

Absolutely not! I think people has just invested too much to take it lightly...their preperation was beter than in years before...

Folks recon that stage 1 & 2 conditions was as difficult as it has ever been!! And yet only 3% drop out??

Better Preperation, I say!

Friday is renowned for argumentative topics on HubSA.

Things have toned down for a while now.

Your opening post is contentious.

It would've fitted in nicely with 'Friday Fight Club'.

When I was out riding this afternoon, a truck tyre blew up right next to me and I thought it was hubbers shooting at me or something.

The point of the OP was it's getting too easy technically. I have had quite a few mates do the Epic. Some made some didn't. Those that didn't make it dropped out not because it was too technical. They dropped out because it was too physically demanding. Too a much climbing. Too hot. Too long.

I recon the only people that can reliably give a comment on this thread are the ones that have done at least 3+ Epics ...they can tell us if it was easier or not!! everything else is just couch speculation...mine included :blush: :blush:

When I was out riding this afternoon, a truck tyre blew up right next to me and I thought it was hubbers shooting at me or something.

Yeah, watch it!

:-)

There are ladies teams as well.

What a cool transformational campaign.

I recon a future podium finisher / or a champ will be produced (from the Exxaro bunch) in the next 3-5 years. mark my prophetic words!!

Absolutely not! I think people has just invested too much to take it lightly...their preperation was beter than in years before...

Folks recon that stage 1 & 2 conditions was as difficult as it has ever been!! And yet only 3% drop out??

Better Preperation, I say!

Edited by Mellow

Nah... Its all relative. Talk to the guys who race the expedition adventure races and do things like Freedom Challenge and Trans Alps.... The intensity is higher at Epic for sure but hardcore?

8 hours of sleep, provided hot/cooked food, massages, electricity, internet access, warmth etc.... I really don't see that as hardcore. Just 8 bike races in a row

I am by no means detracting from the achievement, merely saying that relativity in varying degrees of hardcoreness are definitely a point of perspective as opposed to anything else

Trans Alp not in the class of Epic. Way easier

Trans Alp not in the class of Epic. Way easier

Agreed.

Of all the races I haven't done, Trans Alp was much easier not to do than the Epic.

I'm just buying time so that I can watch the 22:30 highlight package... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry, man, Supersport programming didn't do so well, Cassie.

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

Seen as well it is on your to do list. Let us know how easy it was once you have done it.

Seen as well it is on your to do list. Let us know how easy it was once you have done it.

Hard to believe someone will actully create a thread around something they have never done ,the mind boggles at times .

Has the Epic, or any other marathon race become so easy that a Roadie with virtually no real mountain experience can win?

I guess it shows which way South African racing is going, which is a shame, because mountainbiking use to be about skill, but apparently not anymore.

Am I the only one thinking this??

PS. Don't get me wrong, the Epic is on my ToDo List.

Can see you've never done an Epic :thumbdown: