(Update) Absa Cape Epic: Evans and Knox penalised for unfair advantage

News bot

the issue is in those incidents no one lodged a protest because the gesture were viewed as sportsmanship. I recall shortcuts or "trimming" of switchbacks in previous events as well, no one ever made a big deal about these incidents because everyone was doing it at one point or another.

No one lodged a protest last year when Mennen went deer hunting with an unlicensed MTB.

But as has been argued many times rules are rules. Forget sportsmanship, its just a hippy ideal that the history of the event is built on. That's not important anymore, Winning at all costs is the new Epic. The transformation to corporate culture is now complete. Enjoy!

Good summary - the tension was high before the event, knowing they were under the microscope, be it a shortcut, or a wrapper - they were likely to be pinned. He/ they should have been more careful.

Main thing is that a new line has been drawn in terms of sportsmanship - its now all about results, whichever way you can get them.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you have it straight from the horses mouth https://soundcloud.com/jeffayliffe-1/kevin-evans-on-his-penalty

Sounds to me like Evans agrees that he gained an advantage. It also sounds like he did something outside of the rules. How much time did he gain? He claims 6 seconds. Could it have been 30 seconds? Maybe. An hour? No way.

He did agree that he broke the rules though.

When you get caught stealing at the store, do you just have to pay for what you took? Or is there a much harsher penalty to deter it from happening?

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Fedgroup where sponsored by Scott SA last year and I'm not sure if things ended amicably? So could this have played a role in Scott SA reporting the corner cutting?

Go Fedgroupitec Go. lets see where you end up at the finish line.

Will then deduct 1 Hr...

This will show the True South African Champs

I think they "S'cott" a wanker in their team! No offense to roadies, but it appears the heart and soul of what is mtbiking has been replaced by roadie mentality, "win by any means" especially beating you with the rule book, NOT ability! Up yours Scott!

Go Fedgroupitec Go. lets see where you end up at the finish line.

Will then deduct 1 Hr...

This will show the True South African Champs

pity the teams conduct of late has been rather distasteful

I think they "S'cott" a wanker in their team! No offense to roadies, but it appears the heart and soul of what is mtbiking has been replaced by roadie mentality, "win by any means" especially beating you with the rule book, NOT ability! Up yours Scott!

Aren't both lots more than a bit guilty of that?

Neither bunch come out of this smelling of roses.

Its like this in most sports; if competitors can knock their competition back via the rule book, they will.

Guest Smimby

A few years back Buryy and Sauser got a 1 hr penalty for accepting a wheel.....if I'm not mistaken from Brandon Stewart. Today I've read reports of great sportsmanship because the yellow jersey guys got given a wheel by a team out of contention when they punctured ????????????? So has the rule changed ? This was not a backup team ?

No the penalty was not for accepting a wheel but one off them took a ride on quad to fetch a wheel.

You can get wheels no problem. Rule never changed

Its like this in most sports; if competitors can knock their competition back via the rule book, they will.

generally where there's millions of dollars at stake its understandable that competitors will slit each others throats at will. The ACE is not a million dollar prize money event, there is more pride at stake for anyone other than the top 3 Men and women teams.

One would expect that camaraderie and sportsmanship would count for more.

If it were me, and I saw a competitor cut the track like Kevin did I'd watch the situation more carefully and if it happened again I'd consider it cheating.

Doesn't make what Kevin did correct, but I am always one to consider intent before walking around self righteously with the rule book close to my heart. That sort of attitude usually gets you burnt under the big turning wheel later.

I'd have gone up to Kevin after the stage and had a discussion about the incident and told him if he does it again then I'd take action.

Scott's action F**ked the race for the fans and to me thats more disappointing than a 50m piece of trail that was circumvented to get back to your team mate. But as usual the hubblinkers are firmly focused on damnation