(Update) Absa Cape Epic: Evans and Knox penalised for unfair advantage

News bot

a penalty is not designed to neutralize an advantage. Its designed to penalize a participant that broke the rules. I am very glad that the Epic has a no-nonsence attitude towards people breaking the rules. I think the fact that Evans swore at fellow riders after being confronted about the shortcut also counted against him. If he put his hand up and apologized / went to the guys after the stage to say sorry I am sure that the sentiment would have been different and Scott may even have withdrawn the official sanction.

A few years ago Stander / Sauser was on the wrong end of a penalty for accepting outside assistance. The end result is that we see very little of this because the penalties are harsh.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last little bit of respect lost!!

Why? Because it's a flimsy excuse?

We all have our swords out and we are keen to crucify the guy - but as flimsy as it is, it may just be true?

I know for a fact when I'm pedaling my guts out and my heart rate is flat lining in the red zone, I sometimes often make stupid decisions.

He made a decision and acted on it. In the eyes of the law it was cheating. Did he intentionally set out to cheat? I would like to think not and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It was just a *** decision.

And for the Scott team: they had every legitimate reason to complain. Do I respect them for complaining - nope. This is mountain biking FFS. Have a word with him after the race and sort it out like men.

Edited by Dubber

Why? Because it's a flimsy excuse?

We all have our swords out and we are keen to crucify the guy - but as flimsy as it is, it may just be true?

I know for a fact when I'm pedaling my guts out and my heart rate is flat lining in the red zone, I sometimes often make stupid decisions.

He made a decision and acted on it. In the eyes of the law it was cheating. Did he intentionally set out to cheat? I would like to think not and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It was just a *** decision.

And for the Scott team: they had every legitimate reason to complain. Do I respect them for complaining - nope. This is mountain biking FFS. Have a word with him after the race and sort it out like men.

I agree with you on many points, but he knew full well why he was doing it, he clearly states his reasoning, not a flat line half blurred moment of insanity. A calculated- i jump left and get to past 8 guys that would otherwise hold me up.,,, case closed.

As for its mountain biking ffs.... Yes it is, for you and me; for them its their careers and livelihood- slight different scenario than a fun ride out with your mates!

Thats why he is loosing respect, bitching about outcasts being there, if he so damn red hot how did they manage to be in front of him anyway, then sportmanship..... Did he actually once say "sorry I was wrong".

I'm just really disappointed in the way Kevin reacted to all this. Man-up! You broke the rules and got caught, take your penalty like a man and stop breaking the rules no matter what good reason you might think you have to do so!

You do the crime, you lose the time!

Scott was in their full right to lodge, the situation has no similarity to Sausers "shortcut" Evans would have been stuck in traffic for ages on that single track. And what nonsense "outcasts aren't meant to be there"?? Why were you behind them then.

Unlike for us, this us actually business for these guys, gaurentee you Scott is amped about their victory, and so are their sponsors.

Double standards there dude:

According to the rules Evans cheated - so be it.

According to the rules, Outcasts are not to interfere with the race. That's the rule plain and simple - no sub clause about if you are 20 places down it doesn't matter...

And as for the your last sentence - there lies the rub. It's all about the money. Maybe Scott and the guys are amped. Would they have won it with out the time penalty? Who knows? There's a chance they would have and I would have had loads more appreciation for their victory. Right now, for me its kind of a 'so what'.

(I'm not defending Evans and I'm not belittling Scott - I'm just saying their victory doesn't mean much to me).

Double standards there dude:

According to the rules Evans cheated - so be it.

According to the rules, Outcasts are not to interfere with the race. That's the rule plain and simple - no sub clause about if you are 20 places down it doesn't matter...

And as for the your last sentence - there lies the rub. It's all about the money. Maybe Scott and the guys are amped. Would they have won it with out the time penalty? Who knows? There's a chance they would have and I would have had loads more appreciation for their victory. Right now, for me its kind of a 'so what'.

(I'm not defending Evans and I'm not belittling Scott - I'm just saying their victory doesn't mean much to me).

No issue with your argument- one question was evans on the back wheel of an outcast? If so did they refuse to give way? Did he ask them to give way? If none of the three, then the outcast had no effect on him being behind them on the track, catch and pass them..... He was grasping at straws to exempt himself- there in lies the rub.

I agree with you on many points, but he knew full well why he was doing it, he clearly states his reasoning, not a flat line half blurred moment of insanity. A calculated- i jump left and get to past 8 guys that would otherwise hold me up.,,, case closed.

As for its mountain biking ffs.... Yes it is, for you and me; for them its their careers and livelihood- slight different scenario than a fun ride out with your mates!

Thats why he is loosing respect, bitching about outcasts being there, if he so damn red hot how did they manage to be in front of him anyway, then sportmanship..... Did he actually once say "sorry I was wrong".

I agree with you - not defending him. But I'm not going to crucify him either. He did it, he's been punished, so be it.

Did he once say sorry? Probably not. But again, flip side - did Scott approach him before they lodged the complaint?

And as for the careers - yes again, for sure.

But in terms of the Brand, will I now rush out to buy a Scott bike? Probably not. Sometimes the sponsors loose focus of the bigger picture. Winning isn't always everything (ask Team Centurion Vaude :clap: )

In my insignificant opinion the Scott team could have handled it better. It's unfair to blame them for KE's transgression - but that's how it has worked out. But i'm just one guy :thumbup:

I think KE was wrong.

just seems that rules only apply to some.

if there are rules,then rules need to be applied to all with no exceptions

Ag if I look at Bridstewart's tweet I don't feel a thing for fed group itec.

They are in the spot light for the wrong reasons. That would be enough motivation for me to shut my pie hole and learn to be humble.

I'm with weight weenie here.

Ag if I look at Bridstewart's tweet I don't feel a thing for fed group itec.

They are in the spot light for the wrong reasons. That would be enough motivation for me to shut my pie hole and learn to be humble.

I'm with weight weenie here.

I wont be surprised if fedgroup lost more due to bad publicity the last few weeks than what they ever gained while sponsoring a team the last year or 2. Will we be seeing yet another sponsor departing our sport?................... I really don't hope so but it is a fair question.

I wont be surprised if fedgroup lost more due to bad publicity the last few weeks than what they ever gained while sponsoring a team the last year or 2. Will we be seeing yet another sponsor departing our sport?................... I really don't hope so but it is a fair question.

I wouldn't be all that terribly surprised :(

I think the way every single one of the fedgroup team members handled this was just wrong...

I think the way every single one of the fedgroup team members handled this was just wrong...

Couldn't agree more...

Team manager/rider gets caught for doping - SAID's fault

KE gets a time penalty for taking a shortcut - Outlaw riders/Team Scotts fault

Fined for littering after complaining about other riders littering - Cape Epics fault

Instead of whinging like school kids they should have done their talking on the bike. Be the professionals you claim to be, ride the *** out of your bikes and show your fans and the other riders what you are made of...

FEDup

Couldn't agree more...

Team manager/rider gets caught for doping - SAID's fault

KE gets a time penalty for taking a shortcut - Outlaw riders/Team Scotts fault

Fined for littering after complaining about other riders littering - Cape Epics fault

Instead of whinging like school kids they should have done their talking on the bike. Be the professionals you claim to be, ride the *** out of your bikes and show your fans and the other riders what you are made of...

FEDup

hahaha that the name of the pub at their office. True Story!

No the penalty was not for accepting a wheel but one off them took a ride on quad to fetch a wheel.

You can get wheels no problem. Rule never changed

Cool, never realized that happened. Thought it was just about the wheel.