Stolen - Sarto 29" Carbon at Epic Finish - Please help!

Halmar

Hi guys, please keep your eyes open for my Sarto...

I rode the Vineyard Race at Lourensford this morning, afterwards racked and strapped it up and went to watch the Epic finishers come in for about an hour or two.

When I came back, my bike was gone, luckily we put the other one in the back.

This Sarto was custom built for me, very large frame, so not much use to most people. And I need it for the Sani!

• Black naked carbon frame, white decals
  • Fox shock
  • DTswiss 1800 wheels with Continentals, X-King/Race-King
  • XT groupset
  • Formula brakes

My 2013 Epic sticker was still on the top of the frame: 614-1

Frame number under BB: 56CFX63

Please phone me with any news please! 082 563 0917

Much appreciated!

post-42737-0-38673900-1396210418_thumb.jpg

post-42737-0-69722400-1396210423_thumb.jpg

post-42737-0-62682100-1396210428_thumb.jpg

post-42737-0-88645800-1396210430_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. I assume it's insured? Really sucks to have one's bike stolen at an event, seems to be happening far too often. Hope you recover it

Sorry for your loss, really hope you get it back. Such a gorgeous bike. Can you please tell us how your bike was locked and how they managed to get it off rack. It may help the rest of us in securing our machines when left unattended. What kind of lock did you have on rack or bike?

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I went for shower came back to car, parked bike at the rear of car, I then also went to watch epic riders come in, 1 hour later I realise where is my bike???!!! I completely forgot to load into the car, I rushed back & luckily it was still standing right where I left her.

Sorry to hear Halmar. I know exactly how you feel. My baby was taken from our garage on Saturday. I still feel sick about it.

Guest dirkieuys

Sorry to hear. Hope you get your bike back asap.

Thanks guys, still feel nauseous when I just think of this...

Thanks for the tip about keeping the frame number until I have to prove it's mine, but I have many other ways to do it, including the measurements that was sent to the factory to have it custom built for me. This is the only one like this.

Bike is not covered by insurance when off my property unfortunately.

Please be careful everyone, don't assume your things are safe anywhere! There were at least 4 "security guards" from the event management company just in the block where we parked, their ops caravan was in the next block with more of them, so I did not even think it would be necessary to lock the bike, just the rubber straps and another quick release strap. They didn't see anything! Apparently there was another person that also reported his bike stolen.

Hoping and holding thumbs that it's back soon...

That exactly why I don't use bike racks at events if I know it will be unattended. Locks on the racks is useless. I just put our bikes in the back of the Fortuner. Else I walk with it, like I did yesterday, and put it where I can see it all the time. Bike thieves always target such big events. Lots of bikes and people gets distracted easily.

Sorry to hear of your loss. If you go the the cop shop in Strand or Somerset, there are cops that specifically work with cycle theft and keep a registry of bikes stolen in case it is recovered.

Edited by Moridin

That exactly why I don't use bike racks at events if I know it will be unattended. Locks on the racks is useless. I just put our bikes in the back of the Fortuner. Else I walk with it, like I did yesterday, and put it where I can see it all the time. Bike thieves always target such big events. Lots of bikes and people gets distracted easily.

Sorry to hear of your loss. If you go the the cop shop in Strand or Somerset, there are cops that specifically work with cycle theft and keep a registry of bikes stolen in case it is recovered.

Really? This is good to know...can one also alert them to possible stolen bikes that we notice onthe roads??

Who specifically do we contact?