Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

100% if you are selling a fake bike or components then tell people its fake and make it clear. Its fraud not to tell someone its fake but its also counterfeit, trademark and copyright infringement to sell goods with someone elses brand name, design and intellectual property without their consent.

I said they did not know the law. Its not something they said. If they never knew it before then they certainly know it now!

The law is pretty clear, there is no legal way to sell fake/counterfeit goods, even if you tell the buyer as such.

With the years experience in this store and even just general common sense, I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone can run a business selling counterfeit/fake goods and not know the moral and legal implications.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I really like the guys and they are not bad people.

2. I also know one, if not more of the people who purchased a fake bike from them. Also great people and good friends.

1. Don't fret, nobody is saying they're axe murderers, rather they're opportunistic, selfish, deceitful moneygrubbers without a spared thought for the customers they fleece with a smile and a fake invoice.

2. Of the good friends that have been fleeced by these dealers that "aren't bad", has anyone received their cash back, and under what circumstances?

They say without doubt that they were never informed. I don't know anyone who would spend R90 grand on a fake bike do you?

The more I hear about the tjops at Cycle Psychos, the less I believe they should be in business at all. What has unfolded over the past few weeks"?

They say without doubt that they were never informed. I don't know anyone who would spend R90 grand on a fake bike do you?

One wonders how many fake bikes are actually out there now and how long has this actually been going on, could the Invoice 005 indicate this to be the fifth dodgy deal?

Exactly. They import directly from the supplier and choose to bypass the local distributor. It's still a mavic wheel. They just choose not to use the local distribution channel. It is therefore a grey import.

If by supplier, you mean the manufacturer, no. They would have arrangements with dedicated agents in various regions. Who would want to be the agent for a brand in SA knowing that someone else here could also buy directly from the same supplier? Grey products rarely come directly from the original source.

100% if you are selling a fake bike or components then tell people its fake and make it clear. Its fraud not to tell someone its fake but its also counterfeit, trademark and copyright infringement to sell goods with someone elses brand name, design and intellectual property without their consent.

I said they did not know the law. Its not something they said. If they never knew it before then they certainly know it now!

Ignorance isn't a defence....how can I as someone that doesn't work in the cycling industry know its illegal to stock / sell these items from my floor. Aikona, I have a feeling they knew exactly what they were doing...its very profitable.

Having watched this saga unfold over the past few weeks it is very clear that there are some very angry customers and a bike shop that very clearly "lost its way" and did not understand the law. Now they will suffer the consequences.

Eish....could explain the silence from all the parties involved.

Just an exercise for the thread followers:

Spot the fake(s) (replicas in this case).

(Original will reach anything between R1-2.5mil)

Great post this one. The whole thread is a bit short on pictures! ;)

wonder how many people who bought bikes from these guys are now scrutinising their frames and trying to find out if they are real or fake!

Have a feeling more will start to come forward with regard to being duped once this thread becomes more public knowledge

Let clear something here...

Grey import is basically a parallel import of the same goods available locally just at a cheaper price. These are not supported by the local distributor........HiFi Corporation sold grey imports for many many years....It is also my understanding that grey imports although not supported locally are NOT illegal.

Counterfeight goods on the other hand are illegal and the law needs to take its course in dealing with these products. In this case the Chinarello is indeed a counterfeight and not a grey product as has been confirmed by the local distributor as such. The OP therefore has legal recourse against the shop amongst other things.

Edited by Btus

Attached copy of invoice for bike, for the curious, still hurts.

I have a question about this dodgy invoice. If Cycle Science have been in business for so long, how is their invoice sequence sitting at 005?

Let clear something here...

Grey import is basically a parallel import of the same goods available locally just at a cheaper price. These are not supported by the local distributor........HiFi Corporation sold grey imports for many many years....It is also my understanding that grey imports although not supported locally are NOT illegal.

Counterfeight goods on the other hand are illegal and the law needs to take its course in dealing with these products. In this case the Chinarello is indeed a counterfeight and not a grey product as has been confirmed by the local distributor as such. The OP therefore has legal recourse against the shop amongst other things.

No need for clarification anymore. It has been established from the OP and about a million times over through the thread what the differences is between grey import and fake and that this IS A FAKE AND NOT A GREY IMPORT.

I have a question about this dodgy invoice. If Cycle Science have been in business for so long, how is their invoice sequence sitting at 005?

Possibly the 5th dodgy bike sold?