Wheelset upgrade for Bianchi

Spirog

Some advise please.

I ride a Bianchi Centro Strada C2C that I absolutely love. I am considering upgrading the wheels and have no clue where to start. I weigh 82 kg and have been road riding for about 9 months.

To start with, there are a few issues I'd really appreciate some input on:

1. I assume that it would be sacrilege to put anything other than Italian wheels on my Bianchi. The components are all Campagnola, so obviously that would appear to be the place to start.

2. Do I sell my current wheels (only done about 800 km), and put the sprocket on the new wheels? Then I would do all my riding on the new wheels only. Or should I have two sets of wheels?

3. Should I buy new from my LBS or can I buy second hand off the Hub?

4. I would like to stay under 10k all in with tyres, sprockets etc. Will I feel a real improvement in my ride at this price point?

I love the "comfort" element of my ride. How do I upgrade without ruining this?

The only Italian brand wheels for that budget would be Fulcrum, made by Campy.

Bike building within the Italian heritage is relatively costly, say to get Campy hoops of the Bora kind.

There are some cool 2nd hand deals here if you can trust the Seller.

Two wheelsets is best for training and racing.

Aim for sub 1500 gms in weight.

Choices:

Tubby or clincher?

Rim depth?

Good luck!

At your level get some Mavic Kysirium Elite's. Normally around 8k including Mavic tyres. There were some nice Fulcrum 3's in the classifieds.

Like Dale says - 2 sets are great. Try get some 50mm wheels and don't worry too much about the weight. (unless you live in the alps)

wheel choice is like saddle choice , very personal. :nuke:

you would first look at your budget and then make a decision as per Dale below. :thumbup:

you will have to do some research on the wheels . :eek:

the look of a certain wheel can also do wonders to the way a bike looks overall and this will make you feel good without having to ride :drool: that wow factor.

and no you not restricted to Italian branded wheels ( although one of the best )and yes 2nd hand is also ok from good a guy/gal

good luck :thumbup:

Campag Eurus......you should get them new for your budget.

Campag parts must be paired with Campag wheels

That was my feeling. However, new Eurus wheelset plus tyres plus sprocket around 12.5k!!

Tubby or clincher?

Why would I choose one of the other?

Tubby if you have a support car behind you-clincher if you repair your own puncture on the road!

That was my feeling. However, new Eurus wheelset plus tyres plus sprocket around 12.5k!!

You need to buyt tyres and a cassette anyway. Great set of wheels and bullet proof!

Tubby if you have a support car behind you-clincher if you repair your own puncture on the road!

Clincher it is then!!

And price difference. Tubbies at R1000 a piece

Like I wrote, 2nd hand Campy or new Fulcrum