Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After riding motorbikes for years in RSA, I have decided to get a license in NZ.

I am going to pick this little boy up this week.

Lekker Wayne! Post some pics of the real deal once it has arrived. [emoji106]

So let me explain...

In NZ you are not allowed to simply buy whichever bike you want.

The license process is geared around competancy and slower entry into riding.

Step 1:

Complete a basic handling course.

Complete a learners theory test

Once completed, you will be given a learners license. With this license you can only ride a LAMS (Learner approved motorcycle). Generally speaking these are less than 660CC or less than a particular power to weight ratio. So we have a HUGE array of choice in the sub 600 class. Far more than I EVER remember existing in RSA.

With a learners, you have to ride with a giant "L" sticker on the back of the bike. You cant ride after 10pm or before 5am and you cannot lift anyone.

A Learners is valid for 5 years

Once you have been riding for a while, you can move on to step 2.

STEP 2:

Complete another practical assesment to move from a learners to a restricted.

The same restrictions as above apply, except for the "L" sticker can now come off.

You must wait a minimum of 12 months before applying for a full license.

STEP 3.

To get a full license you need to pass another physical assesment. Then all restrictions fall away (including bike size limitations)

Its a pretty good system. You actually dont need any licensing centre run by the government. You can do it all privately. After each step your drivers license is renewed and redone and posted to you. It gets to you within 5 days of completing the test. (first world postal service)

Then, the government, through ACC (our free accident medical aid) sponsors rider courses and ride days for you to go on. There are these amazing 8 hour outrides through some amazing countryside. Essentially the government pays for private training providers to give you rider communication devices and a trainer who rides with you and coaches you whilst out and about. 6 riders MAX per trainer. These are completely optional but highly recomended.

Its a pretty cool system. They are also investigating giving bike commuters a tax rebate for using bikes and behaving safely on them. If you are caught speeding or behaving like a hooligan, then your tax brackets shift back to normal. Its still under discussion but its gaining momentum.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

So let me explain...

In NZ you are not allowed to simply buy whichever bike you want.

The license process is geared around competancy and slower entry into riding.

Step 1:

Complete a basic handling course.

Complete a learners theory test

Once completed, you will be given a learners license. With this license you can only ride a LAMS (Learner approved motorcycle). Generally speaking these are less than 660CC or less than a particular power to weight ratio. So we have a HUGE array of choice in the sub 600 class. Far more than I EVER remember existing in RSA.

With a learners, you have to ride with a giant "L" sticker on the back of the bike. You cant ride after 10pm or before 5am and you cannot lift anyone.

A Learners is valid for 5 years

Once you have been riding for a while, you can move on to step 2.

STEP 2:

Complete another practical assesment to move from a learners to a restricted.

The same restrictions as above apply, except for the "L" sticker can now come off.

You must wait a minimum of 12 months before applying for a full license.

STEP 3.

To get a full license you need to pass another physical assesment. Then all restrictions fall away (including bike size limitations)

Its a pretty good system. You actually dont need any licensing centre run by the government. You can do it all privately. After each step your drivers license is renewed and redone and posted to you. It gets to you within 5 days of completing the test. (first world postal service)

Then, the government, through ACC (our free accident medical aid) sponsors rider courses and ride days for you to go on. There are these amazing 8 hour outrides through some amazing countryside. Essentially the government pays for private training providers to give you rider communication devices and a trainer who rides with you and coaches you whilst out and about. 6 riders MAX per trainer. These are completely optional but highly recomended.

Its a pretty cool system. They are also investigating giving bike commuters a tax rebate for using bikes and behaving safely on them. If you are caught speeding or behaving like a hooligan, then your tax brackets shift back to normal. Its still under discussion but its gaining momentum.

So your South African license wasn't accepted there? 

When I was there visiting my sister, we drove down to Rotorua... I remember thinking how awesome (apart from all the rain! :lol:) those roads are for motorcycling. :drool: Smooth, well maintained, twisting through the undulating 'Hobbit' hill country and then most of the car drivers driving properly would make it a fair bit safer than there!

Enjoy!! :thumbup: