Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife wants a Dakar but I've been trying to get her to change her mind to either a DR650 or one of these KLE 500's. They are very nice smaller dual purpose bikes.

My mates wife had a KLE500. Relatively low stand over height as I recall. Manageable in terms of weight and power. 

Ya, im not the tallest oke...

GS is out of the question, even the lower stand over stuff like a KLR is a bit too tall for me.

This KLE is perfect, nice big frame for comfort with a lower standover and not huge weight was my thinking.

Its not running very well but I have a feeling the fuel is old and bad, carbs need cleaning and a service we should be in business.

I paid less than a bicycle so I'm happy to put the time in.

Fortunately my wife is a big girl(tall) and I'm sure she'll manage the weight. I'm just not a van of thd Dakar, but in the end it's her decision.

I'll tell her I'll put R20k down for a bike(you can get DR's and KLE's for this) if she want's a Dakar she can add the rest but I do no work or maintenance on the bike it's going to be her baby(Dakkie).

Fortunately my wife is a big girl(tall) and I'm sure she'll manage the weight. I'm just not a van of thd Dakar, but in the end it's her decision.

I'll tell her I'll put R20k down for a bike(you can get DR's and KLE's for this) if she want's a Dakar she can add the rest but I do no work or maintenance on the bike it's going to be her baby(Dakkie).

For a minute, I thought you were Grebel... Was gonna respond with your wife?! Tall!?

Then, the brain caught up. 

Those Dakars had the 650 Rotax motors in them if I am not mistaken. Was supposed to be a good engine that. Although a bit big and bulky with mediocre suspension for gnarly off-road riding it was by all accounts a good bike.

Those Dakars had the 650 Rotax motors in them if I am not mistaken. Was supposed to be a good engine that. Although a bit big and bulky with mediocre suspension for gnarly off-road riding it was by all accounts a good bike.

They have the Rotax motor yes and from what I understand they are pretty much bulletproof, if known issues are addressed before they become issues.

For some reason I just don't like them. I bought my DR600 because I wanted something that I can cover wrough terrain with like a weekend enduro type ride but can also ride the 100km to the event. The Dakar doesn't fit the bill in my opinion.

Then again my wife isn't going to be doing the wrough stuff but probably more dirt highway with maybe a bit of jeeptrack so I guess the Dakkie should be fine for her. I'll probably eventually give in, you know what they say, "happy wife happy life", but I'm not going to go down without a fight.

I'm pretty sure once my DR is running again and I start teaching her to ride with gears on it she'll start coming around.

They have the Rotax motor yes and from what I understand they are pretty much bulletproof, if known issues are addressed before they become issues.

For some reason I just don't like them. I bought my DR600 because I wanted something that I can cover wrough terrain with like a weekend enduro type ride but can also ride the 100km to the event. The Dakar doesn't fit the bill in my opinion.

Then again my wife isn't going to be doing the wrough stuff but probably more dirt highway with maybe a bit of jeeptrack so I guess the Dakkie should be fine for her. I'll probably eventually give in, you know what they say, "happy wife happy life", but I'm not going to go down without a fight.

I'm pretty sure once my DR is running again and I start teaching her to ride with gears on it she'll start coming around.

I owned a Dakar, I'm not or haven't been the best motorbike rider at all, but my friend with his KTM 640 really had to push the (his capabilities with regarding to riding the KTM to it's full potential) limits when we went riding together. The engine is very good, bullet proof is a good word to use. It's also the exact same engine the Bombardier DS 650 quads used and they're known for doing very well in enduro races.

Anyone here using Extreme lights Premium Motorbike Spotlights? I see they have a special where you get the wiring harness with. Looking at buying it, but, are the on/off switch waterproof?

Sheesh, and I thought the KTM 790 Adventure R was bad. It now seems like the better deal.

My bad reading sorry, actually R199950.00 [emoji50]

Anyone here using Extreme lights Premium Motorbike Spotlights? I see they have a special where you get the wiring harness with. Looking at buying it, but, are the on/off switch waterproof?

I'm sure it will be water proof like all their products. Their products are really awesome and I'm sure good research goes into all their products before they marked/sell them with their name attached to it.

Pieter is a very nice guy, give him a call and speak to him.