Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question for discussion:

Do you think that riding a mountain bike (for those of you that do) helps on a dual sport motorbike when off-road? In particular with factors such as reflexes, balance, body posture.

I think there are certain aspects which can carry over, for example sliding - on a dirt bike I'm happy for the rear to be stepping out sideways or the front to be sliding a bit going around a corner.  This has carried over into my mountain biking in that I don't get freaked out when the bike starts to slide and I just go with it.  I've seen other people freeze up when their MTB starts to slide and they either go off the trail or crash.

For both offroad motorbikes and mtb you need to be loose and let the bike move under you, so I'd say there are certain correlations between the two even though you go about them in an entirely different way. 

Just passed my learners test :D

Congrats man, could you please tell me how you went about making the appointment?

We have been trying to make one for my fiancee but they keep saying it is going online and not up and running yet. They then said that until it is, there are no appointments being made. Which I found ridiculous and a bit unbelievable.

Congrats man, could you please tell me how you went about making the appointment?

We have been trying to make one for my fiancee but they keep saying it is going online and not up and running yet. They then said that until it is, there are no appointments being made. Which I found ridiculous and a bit unbelievable.

made appointment online , went there to confirm 

fairly straight forward 

I went to midrand tho , few people there that actually want to do their job so it seems to go smoother than other departments

Can I get the title for my bike from the dealer? Or does it need to be registered again through traffic department.

Currently working on a 05 ktm exc125 for a all use bike build.

I saw somewhere the enduro bikes are easier to get street legal.

Sorry, you pull a clutch going around a corner on a motorbike............ :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Of course. Don't you?

Just kidding, I don't *usually. This incident was turning from a traffic light into an uphill.

The "clutch" was a sharp rapid pull to gear down as my coast turned into an uphill pedal.

Total brain-fart moment on my part pulling front brake to change gears on an MTB.

Edited by patches

Can I get the title for my bike from the dealer? Or does it need to be registered again through traffic department.

Currently working on a 05 ktm exc125 for a all use bike build.

I saw somewhere the enduro bikes are easier to get street legal.

It is not as straight forward as this. Earlier in this fred someone explained that some vin numbers are flagged as not road worthy, and then even if everything is streetlegal it is next to impossible to get it registered. 

I am sure andyman will be able to give you the exact information.  

Of course. Don't you?

Just kidding, I don't *usually. This incident was turning from a traffic light into an uphill.

The "clutch" was a sharp rapid pull to gear down as my coast turned into an uphill pedal.

Total brain-fart moment on my part pulling front brake to change gears on an MTB.

I remember having a proper brain fart, probably riding along on auto pilot.

I was into the corner a bit quick and then pulled the clutch in. WOW!!! Woke me up quickly.

And I ride my MTB with front brake on the right.......

It is not as straight forward as this. Earlier in this fred someone explained that some vin numbers are flagged as not road worthy, and then even if everything is streetlegal it is next to impossible to get it registered.

I am sure andyman will be able to give you the exact information.

I heard somewhere that some manufacturers bring some models in as "for off-road use only" and you won't be able to register them for road use. I think Honda did that with some of their 230s

post-52292-0-06793100-1548448880_thumb.jpeg

The old Yam turns 25 this year. Just fitted a new Pirelli rear and felt the need to scrub it in on a scenic ride..........so to Robinsons Pass.

The last tyre had just 1600 km and flatted with a 10 mm cut in the centre part of the tread.......real bummer, but I wont repair that, hense the new tyre!

attachicon.gif9042B200-7A06-466C-A458-291FF06F4EB7.jpeg

The old Yam turns 25 this year. Just fitted a new Pirelli rear and felt the need to scrub it in on a scenic ride..........so to Robinsons Pass.

The last tyre had just 1600 km and flatted with a 10 mm cut in the centre part of the tread.......real bummer, but I wont repair that, hense the new tyre!

Fzr 1000? Stunning condition.

attachicon.gif9042B200-7A06-466C-A458-291FF06F4EB7.jpeg

Nice to see a bike looked well after, how many km now?

I got an old scoot, a 93 RF600 which I love and use year round to commute and leisure ride with. It’s tough in winter but hey, we saffas sig for niks.

Anyway, seeing as it’s an old bike and commuting in winter here means you commute in the dark I realized that the headlight ain’t as good as bikes I have had which were much newer. My last bike in ZA was Duke 690 as an example.

So I started looking around at upgrading...HID lights here are a no go, you,can fit it but the vehicle the fails MOT if HID lights are retrofitted so I looked at LED or fancy halogens. Being an old bike means the headlight housing unit ain’t a fancy unit with all this new tech so ultimately after a bit of investigation I bought a fancy Phillips globe pack.

Difference is literally day and ...... was expensive but a cheap upgrade. Now looking forward (pun) to my next commute. The difference in my shed was huge.

Globes weaken with age, so if you have an old nail...think bout replacing the globe.

Edited by IceCreamMan