Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

You lucky you still what is a beautiful bike! Every now and then I do a search for cb750c for sale but they are like hen's teeth! (I also don't know if I'd sell my dakar if I found one...)

Yes, indeed I am lucky to still have this machine. After the Joburg theft there was an attempted theft in 1984 at Glendower in Bedfordview. The wiring was cut and I repaired it with good old insulation tape.

At last in 2014 a sympathetic restoration was undertaken including a new wiring loom. Frame was not repainted due to the original stickers, new spokes but original rims polished. Tank and side covers resprayed as was the engine. However carbs just cleaned. Fork stantions polished, as were many bits. Runs electronic ignition by Boyer now too. This is the bike now, not concours by any stretch of the imagination but a pretty and useable classic, 45 this year!

The old machine is currently residing in my study!post-52292-0-04591400-1587841171_thumb.jpegpost-52292-0-92842700-1587841197_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Spokey

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*SNIP* Spent time at Katse Dam and Kosi Bay Lodge kicking those things; not missed at all. E start all the way. *SNIP*

I am feeling your pain. The 640 has been having intermittent e start issues. Decided to strip the starter yesterday to check for a sticky brush. Turns out there's not a lot of brush left.....need a new brush plate and there's not much chance of that happening soon. Guess I'll be kicking for a while (anybody that has owned a 640 will sympathise I'm sure .... they are not fun to kick! Kick Till Monday......)

I am feeling your pain. The 640 has been having intermittent e start issues. Decided to strip the starter yesterday to check for a sticky brush. Turns out there's not a lot of brush left.....need a new brush plate and there's not much chance of that happening soon. Guess I'll be kicking for a while (anybody that has owned a 640 will sympathise I'm sure .... they are not fun to kick! Kick Till Monday......)

Recently (August 2019) had to kickstart my 525 in Lesotho coming from a jaunt to Thabana Ntlenyana and boy was I glad when it started. I fired up my 640 in the garage a few days ago; contemplated a "grocery" ride but decided better of it. It has had a few electrical issues, burnt out ignition switch and frayed wiring near the headlights.Bikes (and bodies) getting old.

Bikes I miss the most are a 750 Katana. Loved that bike. Had to sell it to buy a house. Shoulda kept the bike. And a VTR firestorm. Had 2 brothers pipes. Beautiful bike. Fuel consumption was challenging though. Was stolen. :(

1984 Kawasaki gpz 750 turbo ... got her 2nd hand, ..... bought her from a friend that made me promise I would sell it back to him once I could afford a car in my varsity days ...

he got her back about 3 years later, and his brother wrote her off about a month after that. 

I loved that bike.  -_-

Edited by EddieV

1984 Kawasaki gpz 750 turbo ... got her 2nd hand, ..... bought her from a friend that made me promise I would sell it back to him once I could afford a car in my varsity days ...

he got her back about 3 years later, and his brother wrote her off about a month after that. 

I loved that bike.  -_-

Man was that the Top Gun bike? Shame it was written off.

Bikes I miss the most are a 750 Katana. Loved that bike. Had to sell it to buy a house. Shoulda kept the bike. And a VTR firestorm. Had 2 brothers pipes. Beautiful bike. Fuel consumption was challenging though. Was stolen. :(

My brother still has his VTR. Has been on gumtree for a while now. Nobody seems to interested. 

My brother still has his VTR. Has been on gumtree for a while now. Nobody seems to interested. 

Loved my VTR... silver dream racer..... at the time when i bought it the TL was the king of the block and everyone wanted a TL but it had a nasty reputation of spitting guys off but i digress. Honda salesmen would give away their sisters for a VTR sale so i got mind for hte princely sum of 52k (iirc) .Later years Honda brought out the SP range and mr Edwards won the WSB on one and suddenly the Firestorm model edged up a bit in perceptions. 

Compared to how many TLs were sold to VTR its a testimony to build quality how many VTRs are still around today compared to TLs. VTR did everything well, it was a well balanced sensible twin not a lunatic fringe twin. Still did a 2:02 on my Firestorm around kyalami back in 99 with my lard ass so could haul a bit... only downside was the small tank and fuel consumption was ridiculous... beautfil 48 mm carbs though.

Yeah, I remember. But it's nowhere near as gorgeous, let's admit... :lol:

Honda%20VTR1000F%20%2001%20%202.jpg

Agreed... the SP is gorgeous. 

They go for big money here ...seen a new 2003 model on sale for 25 large... like 600k. 

Second hand ones are around 12 to 15k 

They go for big money here ...seen a new 2003 model on sale for 25 large... like 600k. 

:eek:

Yeah, it was the only bike at the time that held a candle to the Duc 9** design, in my opinion. 

There was a guy that worked near my office in the UK (central london) that had one. Sjoe. Shivers. There was another guy on a large Husky smoker as well. OMG. And don't get me started on the cars.... omg. One of the directors had a Gemballa Cayenne, and whenever I went to the Knightsbridge branch, it'd be a supercar party. 

Man, I love the SP1 and 2, but that Fire Storm is not looking too bad these days! I also love the 916 to 998 then 1098 Ducatis but the 999 is also looking a little collectable now, at way under the price of a fine 916 onwards in good nick.

Man, I love the SP1 and 2, but that Fire Storm is not looking too bad these days! I also love the 916 to 998 then 1098 Ducatis but the 999 is also looking a little collectable now, at way under the price of a fine 916 onwards in good nick.

None of them will go and shout it from the rooftops, but if you get a Ducati expert alone and promise not to quote them they will admit that the 999 is actually a much better bike than the 916/998 range.....