Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Ed-Zulu said:

Any decent websites to post my KLR for sale on thats not Scumtree...jeez its amazing how many people on oil rigs want bikes.

Thanks in advance

The Wild Dog Forum perhaps?

I am trying to sell my G650X on there at the moment.

10 hours ago, Ed-Zulu said:

Any decent websites to post my KLR for sale on thats not Scumtree...jeez its amazing how many people on oil rigs want bikes.

Thanks in advance

Pop it on here too?

9 hours ago, Andrew_Smith said:

The Wild Dog Forum perhaps?

I am trying to sell my G650X on there at the moment.

What you replacing her with?

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Pop it on here too?

I am replacing her with something called sport shooting with a Glock 19X and the accessories that go with it.

Still keeping the kit, maybe I'll return in the future again.

But for now change of hobbies, my friend already sold his bike last Monday and the lonely riding is not fun at all.

Hairy, were you riding on the coast road, direction town, on Sunday at about 10.30 am? I thought I saw you in the are near the Antipolis wreck

2 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Hairy, were you riding on the coast road, direction town, on Sunday at about 10.30 am? I thought I saw you in the are near the Antipolis wreck

Unfortunately not, I had my head down with work.

Ah OK. It seems you may have a doppelganger riding around. I only caught a fleeting glance at the bike and am not sure of the colour but it definitely has the double headlights like yours. 

Incidentally, as a result of complaints by Hout Bay loacls to Superbikes racing through Hout Bay and up Chappies and the coast road on weekends, the traffic police are out in force every weekend with roadblocks checking all bikes for every detail of roadworthiness. If you go there, ride slowly and make doubly sure your bike is compliant. I see some guy was fined and had his bike licence removed for having bolts through his number plate as a means of attachment. Be warned, it's an expensive and frustrating experience. 

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Pop it on here too?

New mountain bike, I just don't have time for bike, mtb and everything else...when the kids leave home I'll try again

32 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Ah OK. It seems you may have a doppelganger riding around. I only caught a fleeting glance at the bike and am not sure of the colour but it definitely has the double headlights like yours. 

Incidentally, as a result of complaints by Hout Bay loacls to Superbikes racing through Hout Bay and up Chappies and the coast road on weekends, the traffic police are out in force every weekend with roadblocks checking all bikes for every detail of roadworthiness. If you go there, ride slowly and make doubly sure your bike is compliant. I see some guy was fined and had his bike licence removed for having bolts through his number plate as a means of attachment. Be warned, it's an expensive and frustrating experience. 

I have tracked down 2 x black Fat Bob's and a cream/maroon one in the area.

Surely they will not target a HD, they know it can not go faster than 60km/h with a good tail wind and going downhill! 

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Honestly. Chappies is *** on a superbike. the corners are too tight and they tighten up on themselves. 

I live in Hout Bay and I can honestly say I wish those road blocks could be there 24/7. It's truly terrifying going for a run on Chappies on a Sunday afternoon and seeing how many people are absolutely out of their tree about to get behind the wheel of a car.

The bikes are loud but they are gone by mid morning. And the guys on them are at least sober.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Moto restoration update- I managed to find brake caliper seals and have replaced the rubber and fitted new pads.  Still some pesky engineering required on a broken off master cylinder mounting bolt. I started stripping the matt black off the tank to discover the bike had even been painted a kind of desert camo at some point. After an hour or two this is what the l/h side looked like - that original paint is almost completely resistant to paint stripper and looks pretty good. This got my hopes up but sadly the other side of the tank is a mess. It was obviously resprayed in original colours at some point but this was done with crappy paint which is coming off along with the black and camo stuff. Will have to do a full tank respray after all...

DR750 tank good side.jpg

So I pre-booked with DowntownSA (Should have gone to them from the start) to look at the brakes.

What they found in the brake master cylinder

image.png.52e67d7610f3bdae32a0678b8a3a8c41.png

What should have been in the master cylinder

image.png.75ec8145f95e1fd029fbe7addce5dd48.png

Some #$^&#$^#$ did a Mc Guyver at some point, and I think it was the wrenches at the Dealer I bought the bike from when the $W%$ front brakes locked up. I asked him back then what he did, and he said "It is a trade secret" which I did not like back then, and I #%^#^ hate right now.

5 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Geez. Literally playing with your life. I would go and give them a proper ear-bashing.

The problem is that I can not prove they did this, or the previous owner....but we are still certainly be going to have words as they should have picked this up when the front brakes locked up before and they "fixed it"

I went to see a new client and site in Noordhoek this morning, left with a slight drizzle that cleared up shortly afterwards with a nice ride via Ou Kaapse Weg and then back home via Chappies.

On the return loop I popped in at HD CT as they were having a Christmas in July event. What an awesome turnout, and a good bit of fun.

Decent live band, lots of food vendors, bike show and for the clubs they had "win a bike" competition. This revolved around the clubs having to do a ride in and then get as many of their members to take shots at the basketball hoop. They had a novel way of calculating the average accuracy for each club (So the smaller clubs stood a chance of winning) with the best shooting club winning a bike that they can raffle off at their next fund raiser. 

Final loop back home again, with about two hours of awesomeness on the bike.

Oh, and my front brakes are feeling lekker soos 'n kracker!

image.png.7fb71c5a451a301a86db481b4c5a80a7.png