Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

An example of a “decent, well maintained bike out there”, friend of mine is selling a Suzuki 150 Gixxer, bought it for his son 2 years ago, then realized that the kids today don’t have the same road sense we had as they don’t ride bikes in the streets as we did.

It hasn’t done 1000km’s yet, not even run in.

That's going to be a big knock as the little 125/150's are sooooooo overpriced.

Once they get to the used market you can pick up a 200 or 390 for the same price PLUS the 150 is too big for a 16yr old on a learners.

OUCH!!!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No ways, I would have crashed if it were an H2R! - those things are ridiculous. Apart from showrooms I've only ever seen one on the road.

At first I thought it was the baby KTM duke.

But it really sounded like one of those regenerative things spooling up under braking. Like a deep mechanical whine. It was pretty brief, so good chance I misheard, but I'll be keeping an eye out from now on

I saw an electric moto on the roads a few months ago that bared a striking resemblance to a KTM, which in my mind must have been a Zero.

That's going to be a big knock as the little 125/150's are sooooooo overpriced.

Once they get to the used market you can pick up a 200 or 390 for the same price PLUS the 150 is too big for a 16yr old on a learners.

OUCH!!!

I reckon we the public are getting reamed with bike pricing, specifically around engine size. To build a 200 cc single must cost almost the same as building a 390 cc engine and with the rolling chassis being the same why is the 390 so much more expensive relative to the 200. The difference in the amount of raw materials is negligible. I guess one has to amortize the R&D costs and possibly the makers believe the 200 will sell more units thus a lower price per unit.

Maybe those in the game can shed light on this phenonemenon as it’s evident in the auto industry too.

Slight tangent but something I been thinking about for a long time. Engine displacement commands a premium but it’s a perception. ( I understand going from 4 to 6 cylinders etc does increase costs though merely talking like for like)

I saw an electric moto on the roads a few months ago that bared a striking resemblance to a KTM, which in my mind must have been a Zero.

KTM do a fully electric motocross bike. Google E-SX KTM. They look wicked but I still prefer the ICE........

I reckon we the public are getting reamed with bike pricing, specifically around engine size. To build a 200 cc single must cost almost the same as building a 390 cc engine and with the rolling chassis being the same why is the 390 so much more expensive relative to the 200. The difference in the amount of raw materials is negligible. I guess one has to amortize the R&D costs and possibly the makers believe the 200 will sell more units thus a lower price per unit.

Maybe those in the game can shed light on this phenonemenon as it’s evident in the auto industry too.

Slight tangent but something I been thinking about for a long time. Engine displacement commands a premium but it’s a perception. ( I understand going from 4 to 6 cylinders etc does increase costs though merely talking like for like)

I fully agree, The difference between say a Yamaha R6 and R1 I can understand purely due to the electronics and I suppose you could also call money spent in WSBK, BSB, WSS, etc as being R&D.

But the 200/390 I do agree, in most cases the 200 is even as simple as a sleeved 390, or worst case just a revised cylinder and head design.

I see the new Kawasaki ZX6R has  a RRP of 10K USD, thats insane!!!! After import tax, duties, etc it will be close to R200K for a 600cc!!!

Been eyeing out the Enfield for some time already, they just seem to have increased drastically in price the last year and half. For the price of an Enfield I would rather add a few thousand more and get a 390 Duke......but then again I also have no idea what sort of riding I would be doing.....so I am really still kicking tyres, speaking to people and formulating things in my mind.

Please also realise it sometimes takes me a few months to buy a pair of gloves as I need to test them all first to make sure I get the best fit....so what I am really saying is that this will be a long road for me....pardon the pun.

I do like the idea of a older Japanese bike in a bigger engine capacity....just don’t want to buy a bike that could be coming with issues and be throwing money at it all the time.

Hairy chat to the guys at bike bros n1 city. Their focus is on everyday runners. They might try and sell you a zonty or sym, but they also have a Triumph street tripple, ER6N a few BMWs harleys, a cbr and a couple of others on their floor at this stage. They also get the occasional duke 390 in, but they usually sells on the same day that they get them in

KTM do a fully electric motocross bike. Google E-SX KTM. They look wicked but I still prefer the ICE........

Definitely wasn't a KTM (or a MX/SX type), just looked a bit KTM-esque. Was so bizarre when it pulled away and it was just this mild whine. I desperately want to ride one for the experience.

I see the new Kawasaki ZX6R has  a RRP of 10K USD, thats insane!!!! After import tax, duties, etc it will be close to R200K for a 600cc!!!

Nevermind that, not even a mother could love this face

Eq8kZLe.jpg

But in all seriousness. The cost of motorcycles have totally gotten out of hand. The Yanks are ecstatic over a four-figure Supersport cost, since the R6 comes in at a paltry $12,199!!! WHAT??

Definitely wasn't a KTM (or a MX/SX type), just looked a bit KTM-esque. Was so bizarre when it pulled away and it was just this mild whine. I desperately want to ride one for the experience.

Nevermind that, not even a mother could love this face

Eq8kZLe.jpg

But in all seriousness. The cost of motorcycles have totally gotten out of hand. The Yanks are ecstatic over a four-figure Supersport cost, since the R6 comes in at a paltry $12,199!!! WHAT??

The only electric bike that even mildly tickles my fancy, yes I have expensive taste.......

So here's a grab of the pricing from Japan for the R1 and R6 from 2008 (yes I still kept everything!)

YZFR1DG8   1.8690 920,000 69,697 1,495 0 150 174 174 174 350 72,214 3.6%  72,214 8.1%

YZFR6CG8   1.7330 800,000 60,606 1,386 0 139 152 152 152 339 62,924 3.8% 62,924 5.8%

First column is crate size - you see the R1 crate was slightly bigger than the R6.  Second colum is price in Yen - R1 - 920000 JPY.  Third column was the direct equivalent in ZAR @ 13.2 - it was good back in 2008!  The rest is all the shipping and other costs, but bottom line was FOB landed cost for an R1 back in 2008 was R72000.  I forget what the price was of an R1 in 2008, but I think we made around R12K per bike and the dealers R15K.

Interesting to see that there was a 120000 JPY difference in pricing between the R1 and R6

Edited by Andymann

This will make everyone drool......

Back in 2008 you could still order these from the factory - special order and at a whopping 2000000 Yen - anyone recognize the code....

TZ250CS3   2.0520 2,000,000 151,515 1,642 0 164 379 379 379 364 154,821 2.2% 0.00 0 154,821 5.8%

Josh Hill won Red Bull Straight Rhythm in 2016 on an electric MX bike (Alta if I recall)

At Pike's Peak they had to fit beepers to the electric bikes. Spectators couldn't hear them coming and were nearly taken out crossing the track and they arrived a speed!

IOMTT also has an electric class if I recall? 

I would be wary of riding an electric bike in traffic TBH. People can't see you on a big single with a loud Akra on and lit up like a Christmas tree. Imagine how many lights you'd need on an electric bike?!?!? 

Lyndon Poskitt (in SA at the minute) was going to ride Erzberg on an Alta but all the bikes and batteries got nicked + van and photographic kit (in the UK  :ph34r: ).  Eventually the other rider in the team rode but didn't get too far due to lack of spare batteries; from recollection. He did have some fun on the e enduro bike tho.

I would be wary of riding an electric bike in traffic TBH. People can't see you on a big single with a loud Akra on and lit up like a Christmas tree. Imagine how many lights you'd need on an electric bike?!?!? 

This is very true. You're just a big unwieldy bicycle in traffic then. 

The only electric bike that even mildly tickles my fancy, yes I have expensive taste.......

Yeah that video confirmed two of my biggest fears of riding an e-Moto 1) Coasting without the benefit of a clutch and 2) ALL OF THE TORQUES, ALL OF THE TIME  :w00t: