Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only chosen a few stills from my video but pretty much the whole way up Chappies it was like this on both sides of the road. Throw in dog walkers, runners and cars and it's become a place to avoid if you want to enjoy yourself. 

The sense of entitlement of the cyclists is amazing with may of them laughing at me. Ah well.

I have only chosen a few stills from my video but pretty much the whole way up Chappies it was like this on both sides of the road. Throw in dog walkers, runners and cars and it's become a place to avoid if you want to enjoy yourself. 

The sense of entitlement of the cyclists is amazing with may of them laughing at me. Ah well.

It is that time of year when "Professional Amateur Cyclist" come out to claim the roads after their winter slumber.

We have seen so many entitled users on the cycle lane the last month, and really grumpy, very serious riders too.

The lot that we have seen riding through the winter are far more chilled, better bike handlers, fitter looking and just more lekker out their vs the PAC

I am all for cycle safety and equal rights on the roads, but this is just plain stupid and irresponsible. 

I really do try give people the benefit of the doubt.

But for the life of me I cannot think what someone is saying to themselves to make riding 3 abreast, covering 70% of the lane, acceptable. Not just these pics but everywhere. I see it almost every day.

Whats wrong with (some) people!?

Why do Harley riders never wave when parked on the side of the road?

They might drop their tools.

I could do this all day, had a colleague who rode one and we sent him daily jokes........

What does a Harley rider use as a contraceptive? His personality.

Mmmmmm...........ATGATT...........

Or you Sunday Superkibe riders in either full one piece power ranger Dainese leathers or boardies, slops and a T-shirt passing you doing 160 on the highway...

There is only one rule in riding a motorcycle:

ATGATT

Doesn't matter if you are going to the shop for milk or heading out on an overland trip, dress for the slide not the ride! Oh and don't forget your earplugs.

(Dammit I sound like our health and safety officer here at work...)

05a382247981f6981a0cf0918ad0d334.jpg

Headed over the mountain to Cape Town this past Saturday with my boy on the back of the DR.

Collected a jacket and helmet for him since he only has MX gear and his helmet is getting a tad small for him.

Got the jacket at a very good price so we'll just have to make a plan with the color.

As we got on the bike he asked me if I could go really fast so that nobody would see he's wearing pink.[emoji23]

Unfortunately the bike developed a misfire during the ride and cut out a few times. We almost made it to the top of Du Toitskloof Pass when it kinda decided no more and I could only get it running for about 200m at a time from there. Fortunately we were able to free down the other side to the bottom and I phoned a mate to come pic us up there.

3106eb7c5bd9f507b9bcd2255c639750.jpgc65a573f2a899253fa89fbe497528190.jpg5d47f06116d3e44b687e2b5077627bfc.jpg0060ed1133be666cd6c60903bc901d2b.jpg

Fuel starvation or heat related?

Just a shot....

Have you had it looked at?

Edit:

Great photos and good time with the young fella. 

Could be something as simple as an air filter, fuelling as mentioned or motor tightening up through valve clearance issues.

When last did it get a proper service, new oil, plug and filters?

Then look at history for valve clearances. Hot starting issues could be a tight inlet valve......

Half the fun of bikes is working on them btw

Working on your bike is fun but not if it is every weekend.....

I am having a problem with the 640 at the moment. It was leaking fuel when standing so I took the carb out and stripped and cleaned it . Thought there was something in the float valve. Put everything back together and it still leaked so took everything out again and adjusted the float level to get more pressure between the rubber tip on the float needle and the seat. No luck. Took everything out again and replaced the float valve which fixed the problem but the float was now set wrong... too low after I tried setting it according to the procedure on Adv Rider and the bike was cutting out when idling (Float too low and it was running out of fuel) so out it came again! Float readjusted correctly according to the procedure on Adv Rider (I was out by a fraction)

Problem now is that the revs climb to around 4000rpm intermittently. I set the mixture and idle while it was hot and it ran fine for a few weeks. Then the issue started. Sometimes it comes right when you blip the throttle and other times nothing happens. When you engage the "choke" the revs drop (sometimes.... other times the engine stalls) 

I suspect either an air leak causing it to run lean but I have checked all pipes and can't find anything... or there isn't enough free play in the throttle cable and the mechanism is sticking.

I am getting tired of taking that carb out now (You need to strip off the seat, fairing, tank and disconnect the rear sub frame to get the carb out)

It is getting to the point where I am contemplating paying someone else to fix this problem....

I read Tom Sykes will ride BMW next year WSBK

New GS 850 in country, looks pretty sweet, but we all know NEVER buy BMW version 1 bikes

Grebel,

I absolutely agree with you. It's initially fun to be problem-hunting but only if you find it relatively easily. After that the sense of frustration way outweighs any sense of accomplishment. 

It's not something like a defective O-ring somewhere, is it?

Headed over the mountain to Cape Town this past Saturday with my boy on the back of the DR.

Collected a jacket and helmet for him since he only has MX gear and his helmet is getting a tad small for him.

Got the jacket at a very good price so we'll just have to make a plan with the color.

As we got on the bike he asked me if I could go really fast so that nobody would see he's wearing pink.[emoji23]

Unfortunately the bike developed a misfire during the ride and cut out a few times. We almost made it to the top of Du Toitskloof Pass when it kinda decided no more and I could only get it running for about 200m at a time from there. Fortunately we were able to free down the other side to the bottom and I phoned a mate to come pic us up there.

3106eb7c5bd9f507b9bcd2255c639750.jpgc65a573f2a899253fa89fbe497528190.jpg5d47f06116d3e44b687e2b5077627bfc.jpg0060ed1133be666cd6c60903bc901d2b.jpg

flipping awesome and creating a bond and memories with your son that will have a huge impact on his life.

you sir are doing it right!