Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

"Thats definite heat damage, more than likely no lubrication.

Is it running premix or an autolube.

Running in needs to be done at a richer ratio. probably 30:1, normal running at 40:1 although I run my bike at 32:1 as standard. Affects performance but reliability is more important to me."

Steven,

Isn't that two different reasons? Each can happen independent of the other.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thats definite heat damage, more than likely no lubrication.

Is it running premix or an autolube.

Running in needs to be done at a richer ratio. probably 30:1, normal running at 40:1 although I run my bike at 32:1 as standard. Affects performance but reliability is more important to me."

Steven,

Isn't that two different reasons? Each can happen independent of the other.

heat damage is the result, no lubrication and / or lean mixture are the likely causes. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

Any recommend premix and engine oil to use for it? 06-KX85. bought it as a nonrunner,

no idea what the bike was being run on.  did get a replacement cylinder and waiting for a piston kit and new reeds.

Always a tough one when you buy a non runner to try and diagnose what might have caused it to seize - you'll have no idea what it was doing before it locked up so going to be really tough.  I would agree with Sk - could be lubrication, although then you will also see the signs on the big-end, main and Small end bearings. - How do they feel? 

That looks to me like the bike was running a bit lean - sucking air somewhere.  If it was jetting then they tend to melt a hole in the top of the piston.  Any specific reason why you are replacing the reeds?

Always a tough one when you buy a non runner to try and diagnose what might have caused it to seize - you'll have no idea what it was doing before it locked up so going to be really tough.  I would agree with Sk - could be lubrication, although then you will also see the signs on the big-end, main and Small end bearings. - How do they feel? 

That looks to me like the bike was running a bit lean - sucking air somewhere.  If it was jetting then they tend to melt a hole in the top of the piston.  Any specific reason why you are replacing the reeds?

all the engine bearings and conrod have no play and run smooth, had the cases split to check everything.  luckily i didn't find a flakes or specks of metal in it

The entire reed assembly thing has rust on it from being stored badly off the bike,

will check all the hoses and stuff for leaks or tears.

Any recommend premix and engine oil to use for it? 011-KX85. bought it as a nonrunner,

no idea what the bike was being run on.  did get a replacement cylinder and waiting for a piston kit and new reeds.

Lack of lubrication leads to excessive heat, that looks like a heat seize.

As mentioned lean running, too little 2T also leads to excessive heat and would lead to a similar thing.

I use Motul 510 and pre-mix mostly because I would rather in control of the ratio and also because I am not too worried about performance but more on reliability, the Motul 710 is recommended for auto-lube. It is a thinner viscosity for the pump. Oil is a contentious subject though and there will be many different preferences and opinions around it.

Read this article, very insightful:

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_piston_fail.htm

got this yesterday

is that an XR1000?

I got to to ride one of those once when my bike went in for a service. By a country mile the most awesome bike i ever ridden. 

Must be a fake pic .... you are not smiling big enough :P

Congrats and enjoy!

hehe its my 4th new bike this year, I know extremely bored.

had 3 RR's and now the XR.

Waiting for 1250GS and new RR (2019)

hehe its my 4th new bike this year, I know extremely bored.

had 3 RR's and now the XR.

Waiting for 1250GS and new RR (2019)

Good grief!

I just went to Ducati to pick up a new battery, tell you what I could have bought 4 new bikes too... 

Debt collectors would have been breaking knees pretty soon though