Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

post-52292-0-89422700-1408458127_thumb.jpg

I have this little machine, amongst others, which I have owned for 32 years. I wanted to do the cafe racer thing but I think its is too original and nice to change. Its the little 400F

Thats really nice, I would certainly hold onto it, looks in great condition too.

I had a CB750 in 1978, bought it brand new from Honda in JHB for about 2k at the time, crazy innit,.... but what a magnificent bike it was and I looked after it like a baby.

When I eventually sold it the first guy who saw it bought it, right there and then and I actually got more than I paid for it. I am guessing if you did sell it your would too, but I would keep it just as it is for sure.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42k is not bad, it looks in good shape. I would investigate it.

I assume the low mileage is after an engine rebuild.? Surely it couldn't have just sat around.?

Too late

Seems to be sold

It was in Knysna so I would have had to make a trip down there

post-52292-0-54768900-1408570091_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments on my little 400 four chaps. That has 78000kms on it in all those years. I also have this December 1994 FZR1000 with 105000kms on the clock, owned for the last 15 years. She is a lovely bike, still runs well, does not burn oil and is fast enough for this grey beard! Lots of TLC keeps the old bikes singing sweetly!

Will never forget my RVF 400 - used to rev up like no other and was a great little bike to throw around. Only problem I ever had with it was that I grew too tall for the it seems short man set up on the bike. Passed it onto my old man and he loved it! We got the bike on 16 or so thousand kms and sold it having looked after it jolly well on 86000km's.

So, if one were to save up for a bike

- Amateur rider

- Will be used for commuting 80% of the time and to hit the road (<300km in a go) about 20%

- Second hand is fine

- Nothing bigger than a 650

- Economy

What would you guys recommend!?

- Amateur rider

- Will be used for commuting 80% of the time and to hit the road (<300km in a go) about 20%

- Second hand is fine

- Economy

I would say an ideal commuter like the likes of the Honda NC700X, but then you have only have a commuter - id recommend getting a Honda CBR 600 - its a superbike that's a riders bike, easy to ride and can be used for commuting no problem with then still having the option of giving it a bit of stick and using for fun on the odd weekend :thumbup:

- Amateur rider

- Second hand is fine

- Economy

That's going to be a difficult one - I think everyone here will be able to give great advice, and none of the bikes they suggested will be wrong! I was the Product Manager at Yamaha, so I can give you some Yamaha suggestions. The XT660R is a brilliant commuter, but for the 300km trips can get a bit tiresome - it's a single cylinder so needs to work a bit harder than a multi, but it's really a good bike. Economy is ok too - when we tested we were getting about 4.5L/100km which is high for a single, but still good! Ditto the XT660Z Tenere - brilliant bike, slightly different gearing so the long trips will be better, but they are very popular so used prices are high. One of our most underrated bikes was the Fazer 600 - I rode one for most of my time at Yamaha. Great commuter, nice on the long trips, also about 4.5L/100km. Negatives - it's a 4-cylinder, so servicing is pricey, has a very tall first gear so can catch you out at the lights, and it has a bit of a reputation for being quite peaky. It is, but you can learn to ride around that. You won't get one new now (Replaced by the FZ6R), but used around R40K (even less sometimes). Brilliant bike. The later FZ6 is equally good, but they were pricey, so we didn't bring in too many. And we targeted the ladies commuter market, so they were ordered in some pretty garish colours! The best commuter in the bunch was the TDM900. It's out of your 650cc bracket, but they are brilliant. Pig ugly, but if you are looking for something which just does everything right, that's the bike for you.

Hi Guys,

Haven't had a bike in 2 years, probably won't for some time either.

I hate walking by and seeing my helmet, which I kept in the hopes of using soon, so perhaps somebody would be interested. Worth a shot.

It's a Nolan XR802 Casey Stoner edition. Size Medium

Carbon fibre, painted.

Comes with clear and dark, quick release visors.

Removable anti-fog insiide clear visor

Comes with a soft nolan cover, manual, etc.

I paid R8000 but open to offers.

It would break my heart to see it go, last string to hold onto, but is equally heartbreaking to see it just lying around.

post-35569-0-39621600-1408610498_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-25045100-1408610458_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-68441800-1408610474_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

The NC750X for sure. Been checking them out for a while now and all reports suggest that this is the ultimate commuter . Unfortunately price went up a bit the last few weeks . The DCT went from R84000 to R92000 . Took the DCT for a test drive and man that auto box is so sweet !! Strictly it is not a Dual sport but it will take on a piece of dirt without to many hassles apparently . I see the XT's are also very popular commuters and also get good reviews . Few 2nd hand ones floating around . Don't know if I am wrong but I think if you going to be looking at XT you might as well include the XR . I will be staying away from BMW and KTM purely because the running cost of these bikes . In 5 years of commuting on my current KLE I have clocked up 950000 km without one issue . Normal 5000km service at home at 10000km service at a professional . BTW service intervals of the Honda NC is 12000km !!

beaut of a helmet! You may just want to add size to see if anyone is keen.

Thanks, really tried to list everything and then miss the size.

This is the helmet shown on a head, on a bike, on a race track(Scribante)

post-35569-0-73489900-1408617679_thumb.jpg

**Excuse the horrible pants I had at the time.

Ededed, maybe a small Suzuki Vstrom also?

I commute daily on my BMW F800ST. What makes it great in winter are the heated grips.