Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On this, I am sure seriously considering getting rid of our car here and joining a car share scheme. Our car here comes up for MOT, insurance renewal, AA membership etc etc in June every year. Costs me nigh on 1000 pounds before I driven a single mile. Factor in variable costs over the year including possible repairs and servicing and the car is expensive to run.

A local car share scheme here costs 60 a year to join, a vehicle can be rented for a while day for around 30 and can be rented by the hour. Per mile costs 21 p for Petrol cars and 5 for electric.

We did around 5000 miles last year as a family. The car is ararely used but it is convenient. Next year I reckon I flog it and car share, just got to get it past the wife now,

Buddy of mine sold one car and ubered to work. Reckoned it was cheaper and more convenient, but then he lived in Hyde Park and worked in Sandton.

There's definitely a time and place for it.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Patches

Couple questions:

1. Will you need to bung indicators on to it?

2. Is road registering an onerous thing?

Reason I ask is there are often farm bikes on TradeMe that are not badly priced...

XR's etc.

Yup, I will have to put indicators and the like on. The bike does come with a road kit, which has things like:

• Indicators
  • Mirrors
  • Number plate bracket & light

I had to do the same for my FE350, so I put the OEM kit on, to get it through rego and a WoF, but then swiftly removed the OWM kit as it looks super lame. There are far more aesthetically pleasing mirrors and indicators etc available on TradeMe which should get a bike through the rego process.

As for being onerous, the first time I did it, it was relatively easy. I bought the bike brand new so had s SoC (Statement of Compliance) from the dealer. I just fitted the OEM kit and rode the bike down to the local VTNZ (yes, technically not legal to ride the unregistered bike there, but it was Christchurch and no-one cared. Now I fear I may have to trailer the bike for a rego.

The tricky part this time will be that I don't have the SoC, so may have to ask the original dealer nicely for one.

I'll let you know how it goes!

As for farm bikes, I know there is a special rego category/exemption for them, so it may be worth asking a VTNZ to see if that can be converted to full road use and what the process is.

Have you looked at Suzi DRZ400 or DR650? They're like the backbone of Aussie & Kiwi adventure motorcycling. They're cheap to buy, cheap to run/fix/mod, and they're pretty bomb proof.

Edited by patches

Yup, I will have to put indicators and the like on. The bike does come with a road kit, which has things like:

• Indicators
  • Mirrors
  • Number plate bracket & light

I had to do the same for my FE350, so I put the OEM kit on, to get it through rego and a WoF, but then swiftly removed the OWM kit as it looks super lame. There are far more aesthetically pleasing mirrors and indicators etc available on TradeMe which should get a bike through the rego process.

As for being onerous, the first time I did it, it was relatively easy. I bought the bike brand new so had s SoC (Statement of Compliance) from the dealer. I just fitted the OEM kit and rode the bike down to the local VTNZ (yes, technically not legal to ride the unregistered bike there, but it was Christchurch and no-one cared. Now I fear I may have to trailer the bike for a rego.

The tricky part this time will be that I don't have the SoC, so may have to ask the original dealer nicely for one.

I'll let you know how it goes!

As for farm bikes, I know there is a special rego category/exemption for them, so it may be worth asking a VTNZ to see if that can be converted to full road use and what the process is.

Have you looked at Suzi DRZ400 or DR650? They're like the backbone of Aussie & Kiwi adventure motorcycling. They're cheap to buy, cheap to run/fix/mod, and they're pretty bomb proof.

Re Suzi's.  Yep, and that would be the sensible way to go.

But until we've bought a house etc, spending appreciable cash (appreciable being not very much) on toys will go down like a cup of cold sick.

So I scroll through TradeMe thinking 'what if'.

Have got the licence process under way tho, so hopefully when the cash becomes available I should have the full licence...

I would post this in the Boast About Your Latest Purchases thread, but the 2 wheeled pedal-power-purists may take up arms.

Yesterday I may have made the mistake of looking too closely at a motorcycle and ended up with one of these:

2016-Husqvarna-FE450d.jpg

2016 Husqvarna FE450

Now this may seem like an odd purchase as I already have a 2015 Husqvarna FE350. But despite what my bank account may tink, this purchase was calculated.

The bike is in excellent condition with only 23hrs on it (approx 560km). By contracts my 350 has over 300hrs and nearly 20,000km on it.

Why didn't I go for a newer model... well partially budget, but also the fact that I can build over nearly all my custom mods like long range tank, rally fairing, steg peggz, SeatConcept seat, etc. From 2014 - 2016 there was minimal change t the Husky FE design. Repurchasing all those upgrades for a for a 2017 - 2019 Husky would set me back around R30 000.

Anyway, my FE350 is still stuck down in Christchurch, so once I have it back up, the build-over starts. Until then, I need to road-register the FE450 and play around in some mud!

Nice!! Enjoy!

I was watching the Redbull Romaniacs on Saturday, thinking to myself how much I missed my KTM... And then watching the likes of Graham Jarvis struggling and remembering how much I struggled on way less technical stuff, I was like, "Umm, maybe not so much..."  :lol:

Demo’d The new Katana on the weekend. Lovely bike goes like stink , smooth as silk. Wish they would slot in a 600 or 750 motor in it. 1000cc is overkill here.

Also have eyes on street triple an gsxs 750. Let’s see how the money goes.

I had a lekker ride on Saturday about 90 km out and 90 with the wifey. Realized once again that the Dakkie is as crap as it is nice. 

Wrong tool for road riding, and worse for twisties. But a wonderful commuter. and the 500 meter of gravel was soaked up nicely. But having a bike that loves gravel for 15 km a year does not make sense. The other 15000 is all tar. 

Once again limited by options due to finances and other things. I need a high up headlight and something that can pull this 95 kg up to 120 and then sprint if something is wrong on the N1. 

Road a friends street rod 750 the other day. felt descent. but the low headlight is the problem. 

so what some models that I can look at? I like the versys but was told to stay away due to availability of parts. 

Anyway, my FE350 is still stuck down in Christchurch, so once I have it back up, the build-over starts. 

You could always leave it there and then you have your NI and SI bikes.  A bit like having a bach, but different...!   ^_^

Had been using my car the passed week, back on the bike today and its awesome! 

I had a lekker ride on Saturday about 90 km out and 90 with the wifey. Realized once again that the Dakkie is as crap as it is nice. 

Wrong tool for road riding, and worse for twisties. But a wonderful commuter. and the 500 meter of gravel was soaked up nicely. But having a bike that loves gravel for 15 km a year does not make sense. The other 15000 is all tar. 

Once again limited by options due to finances and other things. I need a high up headlight and something that can pull this 95 kg up to 120 and then sprint if something is wrong on the N1. 

Road a friends street rod 750 the other day. felt descent. but the low headlight is the problem. 

so what some models that I can look at? I like the versys but was told to stay away due to availability of parts. 

I love my Versys but if i had to buy again I might go for something with a bit more go... 

The Vstroms perform really well! 

Also have eyes on street triple an gsxs 750. 

The Street Triple is SUCH a fun bike to ride, especially with the Arrow pipes on.  :wub:

Jip had that in mind. Have yet to test drive one. Seems like a bag of mixed feeling when people talk about it. But it is build for commuters and all of them are happy with it. 

A colleague has one and I've done about 1000k's on it.  For commuting its got to be up there with the greats.  It really is fantastic - feels light and manoeuvrable, gets amazing economy and has enough zippiness to make it feel like a regular motorbike.  Its a bit wobbly when you push it fast around corners, but if you ride it sensibly its more than adequate.  I love the fake fuel tank storage too.  

Its certainly not a bike to give you a fizz in your jeanpant, but it has a purpose and it performs it exceptionally well.   

Buddy of mine sold one car and ubered to work. Reckoned it was cheaper and more convenient, but then he lived in Hyde Park and worked in Sandton.

There's definitely a time and place for it.

For the last two months that I was in SA I did exactly this. 

Ubering to work cost me 20% of the TCO of a car. AAAANNND it gave Uber drivers more work.

Was a win win.

You could always leave it there and then you have your NI and SI bikes.  A bit like having a bach, but different...!   ^_^

That did cross my mind... but unfortunately grown-up responsibilities overruled that notion, hahah  :ph34r: :lol: 

Soooo... wanna buy a Husky FE350? One careful owner. Only ridden to church on Sundays, haha

That did cross my mind... but unfortunately grown-up responsibilities overruled that notion, hahah  :ph34r: :lol:

Soooo... wanna buy a Husky FE350? One careful owner. Only ridden to church on Sundays, haha

Do I have to go fetch it?  That might just seal the deal, I've never been to the SI...

So, how much does a divorce cost these days anyway..?