Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo yo yo .... do any of you have any knowledge on the KTM Adventure 1998 LC4 .... been chatting to this guy on and off as the bike has my interest.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/scarborough/ktm-adventure-1998-lc4/1005655039330910207086509?utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=owner-received-reply-message&utm_content=view-ad

I’ve never owned an LC4 but had a KTM Enduro bike (racing) and KTM1190 Adventure bike (commuting). Lovely bikes when they working, which was most of the time but if something goes wrong, it will cost you a fortune!

For example, I broke the brake lever on my KX450, replacement was R400 from Kawasaki. Same thing happened on my KTM enduro bike and the Brembo replacement lever was R3500 (just the lever). And there were not any 3rd party options. Fork seals etc. for the White Power stuff is also more expensive than the Showa, KYB, Kiyaba alternatives. Swing arm and Heim Joint bearings on the KTM cost almost R4k, just for the bearings (and could not source from bearingman etc locally due to sizes).

Not sure what I’m trying to tell you though. I absolutely loved my KTM’s. Just beautiful European engineering. But make very very sure it’s running well. Even a minor issue will swallow the R20k price asked for the bike.

I’ve never owned an LC4 but had a KTM Enduro bike (racing) and KTM1190 Adventure bike (commuting). Lovely bikes when they working, which was most of the time but if something goes wrong, it will cost you a fortune!

For example, I broke the brake lever on my KX450, replacement was R400 from Kawasaki. Same thing happened on my KTM enduro bike and the Brembo replacement lever was R3500 (just the lever). And there were not any 3rd party options. Fork seals etc. for the White Power stuff is also more expensive than the Showa, KYB, Kiyaba alternatives. Swing arm and Heim Joint bearings on the KTM cost almost R4k, just for the bearings (and could not source from bearingman etc locally due to sizes).

Not sure what I’m trying to tell you though. I absolutely loved my KTM’s. Just beautiful European engineering. But make very very sure it’s running well. Even a minor issue will swallow the R20k price asked for the bike.

shotto ... his latest feedback:

"Thank you. I have ridden the bike a few times lately,  Doesn't look like that's a problem. Problem right now is battery is dead, speedometer not showing (perhaps due to battery) slight oil leak out the sprocket area. Other than that new tyres, front shocks redone, brakes good (although front one needs tuning) . Other issue is the manual override switch for the fan has a disconnected wire. Needs soldering. "

shotto ... his latest feedback:

"Thank you. I have ridden the bike a few times lately, Doesn't look like that's a problem. Problem right now is battery is dead, speedometer not showing (perhaps due to battery) slight oil leak out the sprocket area. Other than that new tyres, front shocks redone, brakes good (although front one needs tuning) . Other issue is the manual override switch for the fan has a disconnected wire. Needs soldering. "

Probably only item there that “could” raise a concern is the leaky sprocket shaft seal. Sometimes just wear and tear but can often be a symptom of a chain that’s run too tight and caused excessive wear. If shaft is damaged it a bit of a job to replace.

Good luck, hope she turns out to be a keeper.

Sprocket leak is usually the o-ring. You need to know that the maintenance has been done on the LC4. Water pump, carb, cam bearings etc. There is a lot if info on Adv Rider. Search for LC4 640.

I have a 2003. Enough power to haul my 100kg frame around. Don't expect 160kph on the highway. Not the most comfortable for long road trips. Very capable off road though.

There are spares available both from dealers and online. Spares might be slightly more expensive than a Japanese bike but shop around. You'll be surprised... A service kit for mine is cheaper form KTM than from Startline

Personally I would look from 2003 and up. According to the guys in the know, the problems had been sorted by then.

Yo yo yo .... do any of you have any knowledge on the KTM Adventure 1998 LC4 .... been chatting to this guy on and off as the bike has my interest.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/scarborough/ktm-adventure-1998-lc4/1005655039330910207086509?utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=owner-received-reply-message&utm_content=view-ad

I had the BMW650Dakar, the same time a friend had the KTM640LC, great on gravel, but vibrated the **** out of me on tar. Apparently because it's a single cylinder.

Feedback from a commuter in our group who owned one around the same era is that it can get expensive to run and vibrates a heck of alot, but is uber capable off road.

Recon it may be best to let this one pass.

Yo yo yo  .... do any of you have any knowledge on the KTM Adventure 1998 LC4 .... been chatting to this guy on and off as the bike has my interest.

I had an LC4 motor in a Duke. Motor was stunning pumping huge ponies from a single. Incredible how many horses KTM are getting from a large single. used to ride it long distance too.

I did not think the KTM parts prices were exhorbitant, similar prices to BMW and the Japanese bikes, all parts are imported after all.

That bike is 21 years old and has done a lot of mileage. I think you may be in for some big expenses unless the previous owner already incurred them. I would tread warily on this one and make sure you not in for a money pit.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I used to have an LC4 640 supermoto.  I loved that bike, but it was expensive to maintain.  I used it for commuting (it was a second bike which was only meant to be used every now and then but I used it more than the other one anyway; seriously fun!).  It is vibey, and because of that stuff falls off.  I had the front sprocket vibrate right off, brake lever fell off, little nuts and bolts just wouldn't be there when I'd look again, starter motor would intermittently stop working (and its a left foot kicker which takes some rewiring of your brain to get right) and I even had to replace the entire engine once as it was cheaper than repairing the internals...  And this bike was fully maintained and looked after like a baby.

That bike was a total money pit.  It was noisy, impossible to ride for longer than an hour, hard to start, not very fast, not very frugal, not great to look at, and not very reliable.  But I loved it.  It taught me how to wheelie properly and was insanely fun to ride, no matter what the weather.  All logic goes out the window and you ride on raw emotion.  
In the end it was stolen, which was probably for the best as I don't think I wanted to ever sell it.  

post-50271-0-78955100-1566224032_thumb.jpg