Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

My eldest was.not in the least bit interested in getting his license. We have had to push really hard to get him to go for lessons etc.

The problem with that generation is that we as parents will fetch and carry while they are still at school to go see friends, movies, beach etc. Now I drop him at varsity in the mornings and he ubers when he goes out to party so there is no real need for a license... The problem will come when he starts work but they all seem to live from day to day and it's only mom and dad that look that far ahead.

Edit: Spelling

Interesting.

I wonder if that applies globally and, if so, what are the implications for the motor industry?

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being in primary school and seeing a bike go past every day at lunchtime.  It was the highlight of my day and I couldn't wait until I was old enough to get a bike.  I started delivering newspapers in the mornings to save money to get a motorbike and managed to get one a short while later.  My mom was against me getting one though, so I waited until she went overseas and then bought it.  When she came back it was there and then it was too late. :clap:
Then I just had to wait three years to ride it legally :ph34r:
I rode that little 50cc everywhere, even to a bike rally once.  I always had the drive to get a motorbike from a young age but my dad had a bike so it was never an odd thing for me. 

I definitely don't see that drive in today's youths.  

Well now since I was relating this story to my family, my brother mentioned that he hasn't even considered buying a car for his daughter in Cape Town - instead he gave her a Credit Card for Uber only.  He reckons he wins all the way - no insurance costs, no parking costs, no car maintenance, no fuel costs - and importantly, no stress of her driving drunk.  Just a fixed Uber amount every month.

So I'm guessing going forward, the Motor industry will take a knock - as well as the Insurance Industry.  And once the future takes hold and we get Autonomous vehicles, there will no need for Insurance at all.

Yip, me too! Day I turned 16, I wrote my 50cc learners license… And as soon as I was 18, I wrote the big bike license...  I was less stressed about car and the full licenses, but it was a big thing to have that freedom... Most of my mates were the same... 

Today it seems completely different... We have family who have a son in his mid 20s... He hasn't even written his learners... Mom and dad took him to work every day and fetched him... Until he was retrenched... now he sits at home playing computer games all day...   :huh:

Mind you, for my mates and I the motorbike was more than just a means of getting from A to B, we just rode because we could!

Zonte launched a 310 adventure. Not sure what the price will be. 

Looks like a copy and paste job from the BMW gs

Edited by Allrounder

My brother (the little fat bastard) bought a Harley 883 yesterday after convincing me for years not to get a harley. 

My brother (the little fat bastard) bought a Harley 883 yesterday after convincing me for years not to get a harley. 

Apologies to your brother but that got a good laugh out of me..

Well now since I was relating this story to my family, my brother mentioned that he hasn't even considered buying a car for his daughter in Cape Town - instead he gave her a Credit Card for Uber only.  He reckons he wins all the way - no insurance costs, no parking costs, no car maintenance, no fuel costs - and importantly, no stress of her driving drunk.  Just a fixed Uber amount every month.

So I'm guessing going forward, the Motor industry will take a knock - as well as the Insurance Industry.  And once the future takes hold and we get Autonomous vehicles, there will no need for Insurance at all.

On this, I am sure seriously considering getting rid of our car here and joining a car share scheme. Our car here comes up for MOT, insurance renewal, AA membership etc etc in June every year. Costs me nigh on 1000 pounds before I driven a single mile. Factor in variable costs over the year including possible repairs and servicing and the car is expensive to run.

A local car share scheme here costs 60 a year to join, a vehicle can be rented for a while day for around 30 and can be rented by the hour. Per mile costs 21 p for Petrol cars and 5 for electric.

We did around 5000 miles last year as a family. The car is ararely used but it is convenient. Next year I reckon I flog it and car share, just got to get it past the wife now,

That's like your mate at school telling you he thinks you shouldn't ask the girl out because she's got issues and then next thing you see he's dating her....

Same Boat.

Booked learners for my lighty yesterday, was a lot of motivation to get to that point.

All social interaction is at their fingertips, we needed to travel to see friends, and parents didn't do the taxi service.

Different Generation.

We were discussing this last night. They can spend hours with their mates on various gaming, chat room or social media platforms without leaving the comfort of their bedrooms.

My son has however been seeing a young lady that has expressed some interest in him recently so he might just get to see some sunshine.

Better remind him to use sunscreen....   :ph34r: 

We were discussing this last night. They can spend hours with their mates on various gaming, chat room or social media platforms without leaving the comfort of their bedrooms.

My son has however been seeing a young lady that has expressed some interest in him recently so he might just get to see some sunshine.

Better remind him to use sunscreen....   :ph34r: 

Lol. There is hope.

Interesting.

I wonder if that applies globally and, if so, what are the implications for the motor industry?

Self drive cars

• 5 weeks later...

I would post this in the Boast About Your Latest Purchases thread, but the 2 wheeled pedal-power-purists may take up arms.

Yesterday I may have made the mistake of looking too closely at a motorcycle and ended up with one of these:

2016-Husqvarna-FE450d.jpg

2016 Husqvarna FE450

Now this may seem like an odd purchase as I already have a 2015 Husqvarna FE350. But despite what my bank account may tink, this purchase was calculated.

The bike is in excellent condition with only 23hrs on it (approx 560km). By contracts my 350 has over 300hrs and nearly 20,000km on it.

Why didn't I go for a newer model... well partially budget, but also the fact that I can build over nearly all my custom mods like long range tank, rally fairing, steg peggz, SeatConcept seat, etc. From 2014 - 2016 there was minimal change t the Husky FE design. Repurchasing all those upgrades for a for a 2017 - 2019 Husky would set me back around R30 000.

Anyway, my FE350 is still stuck down in Christchurch, so once I have it back up, the build-over starts. Until then, I need to road-register the FE450 and play around in some mud!

I would post this in the Boast About Your Latest Purchases thread, but the 2 wheeled pedal-power-purists may take up arms.

Yesterday I may have made the mistake of looking too closely at a motorcycle and ended up with one of these:

2016-Husqvarna-FE450d.jpg

2016 Husqvarna FE450

Now this may seem like an odd purchase as I already have a 2015 Husqvarna FE350. But despite what my bank account may tink, this purchase was calculated.

Hey Patches

Couple questions:

1. Will you need to bung indicators on to it?

2. Is road registering an onerous thing?

Reason I ask is there are often farm bikes on TradeMe that are not badly priced...

XR's etc.