Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Still want a bike?

Nope, see what you did there, he "procured" a GS last night.......

BTW, when I highsided my dad's GSXR1100 in my youth, I broke my collarbone and still don't know how they collected the bike, how I got to the hospital, etc. Crazy what pain can do to you!!!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that.

It's terrible news. I've watched a whole lot of his videos over the weekend and he seemed a nice guy. What a shock.

How did you find out about it? Are you a fan of his or just looking up Pike's Peak?

Speaking of the streetfighter... Carlin Dunne was racing one of these in the Pikes Peak hill race the weekend. Crashed on the last corner. Game over. RIP. Sad news.

WHAT!!!!

Literally watched his lead up videos on Saturday.

RIP

I saw that.

It's terrible news. I've watched a whole lot of his videos over the weekend and he seemed a nice guy. What a shock.

How did you find out about it? Are you a fan of his or just looking up Pike's Peak?

It was actually just a Ducati post on instagram. 

I love the Pikes Peak weekend, I don't 'live' follow it but do watch as the videos come out, its also high up my bucket list of events to watch. Along with Isle of Man TT its just the pinnacle of man & machine vs physics & madness.

So some time ago I read an article on how Harley Davidson is concerned that Millennial's are not buying motorbikes which will have a big effect on their business model going forward.  Noticed something really interesting this weekend - my Wife has two Junior Triathletes staying at our place before they all leave for Europe this week and she organised a braai for them and a few of the other Athletes on Sunday as a bit of a Team building exercise.  We've just moved into the house, so the garage is filled with my bikes, as well as  my Dad's collection while we sort everything out.  I was mentally preparing myself for a bombardment of questions about the bikes from the guys, and a few ooh's and ahh's from the girls.

Not a peep - it's like they didn't even notice them.  When I turned 16 I was at the Licensing department with all my mates getting my learners, and as soon as i got my licence, the girls regularly got picked up and taken for lifts everywhere.  Apparently not today's 16 year old's.  Motorbikes and Scooters aren't even on their radar.

The only positive comment I got was from the one guy you saw the Scrambler I built and said it looked like a bike Captain America might ride. 

I mentioned to my Wife later that I should henceforth be known as the Captain - After which she said "Aye Aye Captain!", and sung the Spongebob squarepants theme......

So some time ago I read an article on how Harley Davidson is concerned that Millennial's are not buying motorbikes which will have a big effect on their business model going forward.  Noticed something really interesting this weekend - my Wife has two Junior Triathletes staying at our place before they all leave for Europe this week and she organised a braai for them and a few of the other Athletes on Sunday as a bit of a Team building exercise.  We've just moved into the house, so the garage is filled with my bikes, as well as  my Dad's collection while we sort everything out.  I was mentally preparing myself for a bombardment of questions about the bikes from the guys, and a few ooh's and ahh's from the girls.

Not a peep - it's like they didn't even notice them.  When I turned 16 I was at the Licensing department with all my mates getting my learners, and as soon as i got my licence, the girls regularly got picked up and taken for lifts everywhere.  Apparently not today's 16 year old's.  Motorbikes and Scooters aren't even on their radar.

The only positive comment I got was from the one guy you saw the Scrambler I built and said it looked like a bike Captain America might ride. 

I mentioned to my Wife later that I should henceforth be known as the Captain - After which she said "Aye Aye Captain!", and sung the Spongebob squarepants theme...…

For us, motorbikes and the beloved 50cc were our way of gaining freedom, of adventure, of spreading our wings.

Todays youth on a different mission. Its all bout gizmos and social media. Motorcycles and scooters are seen as a form of transport, nothing more.

For us, motorbikes and the beloved 50cc were our way of gaining freedom, of adventure, of spreading our wings.

Todays youth on a different mission. Its all bout gizmos and social media. Motorcycles and scooters are seen as a form of transport, nothing more.

Most of them arrived by Uber.....

I wonder how many of today's 17yo's will even go for a car licence?

Most of them arrived by Uber.....

I wonder how many of today's 17yo's will even go for a car licence?

My eldest was.not in the least bit interested in getting his license. We have had to push really hard to get him to go for lessons etc.

The problem with that generation is that we as parents will fetch and carry while they are still at school to go see friends, movies, beach etc. Now I drop him at varsity in the mornings and he ubers when he goes out to party so there is no real need for a license... The problem will come when he starts work but they all seem to live from day to day and it's only mom and dad that look that far ahead.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Grebel

I went for my 50cc Learners the day I turned 16 (only way I was allowed to ride outside of the yard) and my permanent two months later.

It was my ticket to "freedom"

My eldest was.not in the least bit interested in getting his license. We have had to push really hard to get him to go for lessons etc.

The problem with that generation is that we as parents will fetch and carry while they are still at school to go see friends, movies, beach etc. Now I drop him at varsity in the mornings and he ubers when he goes out to party so there is no real need for a license... The problem will come when he starts work but they all seem to live from day to day and it's only mom and dad that look that far ahead.

Edit: Spelling

Same Boat.

Booked learners for my lighty yesterday, was a lot of motivation to get to that point.

All social interaction is at their fingertips, we needed to travel to see friends, and parents didn't do the taxi service.

Different Generation.