Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I had one of the very first RZ50's in the country (i.e. the first batch that came in)

That little thing was QUICK compared to the MT50 (still aircooled) I had before it (also my last non Yamaha motorbike  :whistling: )

It was fast (as a early 80's 50cc can be) up to its rev limit of  12000rpm (yes, it did rev up to that, no problem), but it worked out to an indicated top speed of just over 90km/h. 

Friend of mine's Dad owned the local Bike shop, and he worked there as an mechanic, so I used to visit him quite often.

Scratching through a box of front sprockets one day, I found a 15t front sprocket (standard on the RZ was12t) that looked like it would fit. Checked, and yes it did fit. My buddy told me that with such a large jump in front teeth, I will not be able to get away, but I tried it in any case. I was greatly surprised to find that it got of the line with great ease, and the top speed jumped to an massive 120km'h indicated, at about 11000rpm.

Back at the shop my buddy did not believe me, so when he took the bike he just finished servicing out for a test ride, I tagged along on the RZ, and sitting next to the bike he was on, he also recorded 120km/h. 

Of course I was over the moon with this, and started terrorising the local Delivery Gang on their  200cc delivery bikes. I was also the King of the Heap at the local Saturday morning dices.

We then started playing with the bike, porting the hell out of it, and we fitted a Flat Slide Carb we found on a totalled 80cc MX bike. (can't even remember from what bike  :blush: ) We cut the exhaust off just before and after the expansion chamber, and then the expansion chamber all along the weld and cut/re-arranged the baffle plates in the expansion chamber before welding it together again, this turned it into our homegrown performance pipe, while still keeping it looking stock.

He also managed to source me a set of fibre reed valves, which transformed this bike into a real little monster. 

Somewhere along the line we also fitted a smaller rear sprocket, which increased the top speed considerably, but affected the acceleration a bit.(also can't remember what size sprocket, but it was a few teeth smaller)

The piston was kept standard, we just "skirted" it a bit to make it lighter, and the conrod was also sanded smooth. We also decked the head a bit to up the compression ratio. All of this done with no scientific base, we just did what we thought might work, if it did, we kept it like that, if it did not, we returned it to standard if possible, or got another one, benefits of having access to parts. I did however spend a lot of time servicing my bike, "de coking" it, etc.

I ruled the local dices, even against the later Kawa AR 50's and the few 80's that was around, the Honda MBX and the Suz Gamma's. Some of these were also heavily worked, but I weighed next to nothing then (under 60kg) so had a good power to weight ratio.

I took it down Tarlton track, and ran a best quarter mile of 21sec at 116km/h (dropped a friend in his new Ford XR3 that day)

Sitting upright in the right conditions, I could maintain 120km'h, crouching took the top speed up to between 130-140km/h and slipstreaming was a tad shy of 160km/h

At the Hillsnacks dices in Krugersdorp, I also ruled the roost, only being beaten by a track orientated 80cc Honda that was geared so tall, it had to be pushed off the line to get going. 

Kept that little bike for many years, even after I had an RD125LC and my first 350LC. Still took it out to the dices every so often, just to piss the youngsters off. Eventually sold it to a friends younger brother.

Ah, those were the days.

For some or other reason, these are the only photo's I have of any of the bikes I owned over the years. I know I have a photo or two of my Eleven Special somewhere, but can't find it.

post-87-0-05753500-1573718809_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-90601000-1573718850_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wannabe

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Reminds me of me and my mini, and another mate and I with his motos. Rebuilding them every term, rebuilt my mini twice and just tried to get everything as good as possible. 

BTW wannabe... smaller back sprocket makes better top end speed... bigger rear sprocket makes better acceleration. :P

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Lekker wannabe. Those were the days.

We had similar ethos. Mod it, don’t work. Revert if possible.

Used to sand down heads on mirrors an fine sandpaper in my mates back garden. Kids of today will never know that. It’s how learnt bout mechanical things.

my uncle owned an engineering shop, so used him for the re-bore and head hone for the mini. Never again, 'cos his idea of mates rates was 20% over and 3 weeks longer. 

The mirror and sandpaper! Man, I'd forgotten about that!

EDIT: My old man was part of a crew that used to street race in the 50's, 60's and 70's. LOTS of old school racing & engine tweaking knowledge that went down with him. Wish we'd done more of it together. Building an AC was his dream... 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I had one of the very first RZ50's in the country (i.e. the first batch that came in)

That little thing was QUICK compared to the MT50 (still aircooled) I had before it (also my last non Yamaha motorbike  :whistling: )

It was fast (as a early 80's 50cc can be) up to its rev limit of  12000rpm (yes, it did rev up to that, no problem), but it worked out to an indicated top speed of just over 90km/h. 

Friend of mine's Dad owned the local Bike shop, and he worked there as an mechanic, so I used to visit him quite often.

Scratching through a box of front sprockets one day, I found a 15t front sprocket (standard on the RZ was12t) that looked like it would fit. Checked, and yes it did fit. My buddy told me that with such a large jump in front teeth, I will not be able to get away, but I tried it in any case. I was greatly surprised to find that it got of the line with great ease, and the top speed jumped to an massive 120km'h indicated, at about 11000rpm.

Back at the shop my buddy did not believe me, so when he took the bike he just finished servicing out for a test ride, I tagged along on the RZ, and sitting next to the bike he was on, he also recorded 120km/h. 

Of course I was over the moon with this, and started terrorising the local Delivery Gang on their  200cc delivery bikes. I was also the King of the Heap at the local Saturday morning dices.

We then started playing with the bike, porting the hell out of it, and we fitted a Flat Slide Carb we found on a totalled 80cc MX bike. (can't even remember from what bike  :blush: ) We cut the exhaust off just before and after the expansion chamber, and then the expansion chamber all along the weld and cut/re-arranged the baffle plates in the expansion chamber before welding it together again, this turned it into our homegrown performance pipe, while still keeping it looking stock.

He also managed to source me a set of fibre reed valves, which transformed this bike into a real little monster. 

Somewhere along the line we also fitted a smaller rear sprocket, which increased the top speed considerably, but affected the acceleration a bit.(also can't remember what size sprocket, but it was a few teeth smaller)

The piston was kept standard, we just "skirted" it a bit to make it lighter, and the conrod was also sanded smooth. We also decked the head a bit to up the compression ratio. All of this done with no scientific base, we just did what we thought might work, if it did, we kept it like that, if it did not, we returned it to standard if possible, or got another one, benefits of having access to parts. I did however spend a lot of time servicing my bike, "de coking" it, etc.

I ruled the local dices, even against the later Kawa AR 50's and the few 80's that was around, the Honda MBX and the Suz Gamma's. Some of these were also heavily worked, but I weighed next to nothing then (under 60kg) so had a good power to weight ratio.

I took it down Tarlton track, and ran a best quarter mile of 21sec at 116km/h (dropped a friend in his new Ford XR3 that day)

Sitting upright in the right conditions, I could maintain 120km'h, crouching took the top speed up to between 130-140km/h and slipstreaming was a tad shy of 160km/h

At the Hillsnacks dices in Krugersdorp, I also ruled the roost, only being beaten by a track orientated 80cc Honda that was geared so tall, it had to be pushed off the line to get going. 

Kept that little bike for many years, even after I had an RD125LC and my first 350LC. Still took it out to the dices every so often, just to piss the youngsters off. Eventually sold it to a friends younger brother.

Ah, those were the days.

For some or other reason, these are the only photo's I have of any of the bikes I owned over the years. I know I have a photo or two of my Eleven Special somewhere, but can't find it.

attachicon.gifRZ50.1.jpg

attachicon.gifRZ50.2.jpg

attachicon.gifRZ50.3.jpg

They were butt ugly, but whipped ass wherever they went!

Who didn't have a Nova helmet?  :lol: (and then a bit later a Lafe)

I had an MDS helmet.  Because Andre Malherbe had an MDS.  I also had AXO leather MX boots, Sinisalo gloves, Scott Goggles and I'm pretty sure the chest protector was also Sinisalo.....

I had an MDS helmet.  Because Andre Malherbe had an MDS.  I also had AXO leather MX boots, Sinisalo gloves, Scott Goggles and I'm pretty sure the chest protector was also Sinisalo.....

These bad boys - the black and Yellow ones....

post-15215-0-71647400-1573731262_thumb.jpg

That last picture was taken on the Krugersdorp / Pretoria highway on my way to the Police College in Pta West. (yes I know, 50's are / were not allowed on highways)

Took me an hour from Carletonville to the College, going through Randfontein, Krugersdorp, Swartkops and Pta West. From C/Ville to the College was 130km in distance.  :whistling:

Edit = Must add, this was on mostly on Sunday afternoons and in 1982, so there was a lot less traffic on the road. 

Edited by Wannabe