Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

This Guzzi V85 is stirring my soul a bit. I guess that is what the marketing is aimed at. Never have owned an itie bike but this may change with the V85. Ugly as sin but in a sexy way. 

Dealers are thin on the ground though but will suss it out. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

This Guzzi V85 is stirring my soul a bit. I guess that is what the marketing is aimed at. Never have owned an itie bike but this may change with the V85. Ugly as sin but in a sexy way. 

Dealers are thin on the ground though but will suss it out. 

If I recall correctly the V85 received really good reviews at the time of launch 

I may need to jump on the White HD ASAP ... the black HD is still not in the dealership and the price of the white Fat Bob with 21K on the clock is too good to not go for.

I like the white, but I also like the black .. the black is denim black, which is not my best choice of black as I would prefer a gloss black.

Any advise?

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I may need to jump on the White HD ASAP ... the black HD is still not in the dealership and the price of the white Fat Bob with 21K on the clock is too good to not go for.

I like the white, but I also like the black .. the black is denim black, which is not my best choice of black as I would prefer a gloss black.

Any advise?

My Roadster is an off white, i like the colours of it. Easy enough to change. 

Go ride it, enjoy it, if it floats your boat, buy it. 

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

If I recall correctly the V85 received really good reviews at the time of launch 

It has received some very good reviews. The only cons mentioned were the (lack of) power and its off-roadability. Neither of these really worry me as 79 gleaming horses is more than enough and i wont be doing the dakar on it.

1 minute ago, IceCreamMan said:

My Roadster is an off white, i like the colours of it. Easy enough to change. 

Go ride it, enjoy it, if it floats your boat, buy it. 

Have to get there to have a look today still .... there is a rider with an 883 that wants to trade in on it and is coming down from some other town to look tonigt/tomorrow.

There is a small scaring to the paint work on the back of the front fender, facing the engine, would just have to get this touched up.

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Have to get there to have a look today still .... there is a rider with an 883 that wants to trade in on it and is coming down from some other town to look tonigt/tomorrow.

There is a small scaring to the paint work on the back of the front fender, facing the engine, would just have to get this touched up.

???

My biggest concern is this ... the fender was bumped at the back at some point and the rivets pushed the paint up a little and then there is a crack to the paint. Looking under the fender, there is no rust or signs of a crack to the metal work, so it tells me is should be fine.

Given the price on the bik, if it bothers me I can get someone to fix it for me at a later stage for I would hope not a lot of money.

I am starting from scratch, so as I am buying ... yes I am going to buy, he is offering a good package deal on a decent helmet, jacket and gloves.

If I make payment in the morning, the chances are not that good that he can get the bike to roadworthy for certification as it looks to be raining in CT unfortunately, so let's assume a Monday RW, licensing Tues, and plate Wed ... so I can collect Thursday to be safe I recon.

image.png.a43f12b2cafdd67eb5c0b6f5006ba7c2.png

This is the scratch on the back of the fender that I think caused the above damage. I checked the other HD's on the floor and many also had that little pin hole on the back of the front fender.

image.png.98e2af47291f1a5d6fa4903d84437fc2.png

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

My biggest concern is this ... the fender was bumped at the back at some point and the rivets pushed the paint up a little and then there is a crack to the paint. Looking under the fender, there is no rust or signs of a crack to the metal work, so it tells me is should be fine.

Given the price on the bik, if it bothers me I can get someone to fix it for me at a later stage for I would hope not a lot of money.

I am starting from scratch, so as I am buying ... yes I am going to buy, he is offering a good package deal on a decent helmet, jacket and gloves.

If I make payment in the morning, the chances are not that good that he can get the bike to roadworthy for certification as it looks to be raining in CT unfortunately, so let's assume a Monday RW, licensing Tues, and plate Wed ... so I can collect Thursday to be safe I recon.

image.png.a43f12b2cafdd67eb5c0b6f5006ba7c2.png

This is the scratch on the back of the fender that I think caused the above damage. I checked the other HD's on the floor and many also had that little pin hole on the back of the front fender.

image.png.98e2af47291f1a5d6fa4903d84437fc2.png

Without seeing more, that looks like it has bottomed out against the radiator or frame, etc.
How is the suspension, I know it is a Harley so probably not the greatest at rebound, damping, etc, but is the "bounce" excessive? Perhaps needs a rebuild.
Forks straight, wasn't in a front end bump that pushed everything back and caused the damage?

You have probably paid by now though, in which case ignore the above......

I only saw this now but agree with Steven - that's bottomed out somewhere.  Have a good look at the rim - see if it isn't damaged.  It might have been on a trailer during transport, or it might have hit a pothole.

Have a very close look.....

Flip, now I am worried.....

The rim did look 100% though.

Not the best res as it is zoomed in ... but

image.png.7137e56e03fc716f818ddc05f30bcfd1.png

Good luck Hairy. Just an extra suggestion. For any other kit you need, take a look at Trac Mac Paarden Eiland. Great staff and good range and prices. Even if you don't buy, it's a good idea just to walk around, have a browse and make yourself known to them. 

54 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Good luck Hairy. Just an extra suggestion. For any other kit you need, take a look at Trac Mac Paarden Eiland. Great staff and good range and prices. Even if you don't buy, it's a good idea just to walk around, have a browse and make yourself known to them. 

Thanks

I was going to get my kit from them, but the shop I am buying the bike from gave me some solid discounts on the helmet, gloves and jacket.

If he can get the bike to roadworthy today with a break in the rain I may have the bike ready Monday already :)

It has been a long road to get here, and thanks to all for your advice and poor sense of humour Harley jokes :P

Haha. I look forward to seeing you on the road somewhere. Riding, that is, not broken down..

Yes, I noted the offer you were getting on your kit and that's great but there's always something else you need. A cargo net, new tyres, or maybe just some spanners. 

And for you, a bandana.  :D

45 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Haha. I look forward to seeing you on the road somewhere. Riding, that is, not broken down..

Yes, I noted the offer you were getting on your kit and that's great but there's always something else you need. A cargo net, new tyres, or maybe just some spanners. 

And for you, a bandana.  :D

Funny thing, while driving home from viewing the bike, I spotted a really nice looking (new and expensive) sportsbike on the opposite side of the road that had broken down ... someone was helping them with the bike :P