Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

3 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Well there you go. That's eaxctly the right answer and attitude. I've never approached that and don't feel for a minute that I've missed out. 

Planned your first ride yet? 

Did the ride home

Then went to see a client last night on the bike

Any little trip I can do now is a planned ride :P

Just a little work pressure to deal with still the next week or two .... so rides will be errands or site meetings ... and before I run off into the sunset on the bike I want to get a couple of local miles under my belt first.

What I find strange with the HD, is using the right indicator you have to make sure you don't blip the throttle when reaching for the button .... but practice and muscle memory will sort that out.

Forward controls felt a little strange to start with, but it feels ok now.

Getting my body position 100% will also come with a bit more riding.

Learnt very quickly to rev match when gearing down, so that was positive.

I do think really very good slow speed bicycle handling skills have paid off when riding at slow speeds or pulling away has paid off on the bike, I do not do that dangling feet when pulling away or duckwalking when at slow speed moving forward like I see many other bikers doing .............................. or am I doing something wrong and need play things safe?

My ears are sore. Specifically the tops of my ears, the same way that my ears would hurt if I did not tape them back in rugby when scrumming. This I attribute to my generous ears, being a noob, and fitting/taking off the helmet a couple of times to get the retention strap right on the helmet (It has a micro adjust thingie ma bob closure system) and my ears got caught every freaking time even though I thought I was opening up the helmet enough. When fitted, the helmet feels perfect though. So will wear a buff the next time and see if it helps my ears clear the padding properly and it would probably be a good thing to wear in any event to keep the helmet fresher for longer inside.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Well there you go. That's eaxctly the right answer and attitude. I've never approached that and don't feel for a minute that I've missed out. 

Planned your first ride yet? 

To add I have two sites that are a little distance from Sunningdale. An active on in Franschhoek and one that will be active in the next month, maybe two in Kalkbay ... so those are nice little trips on the bike.

A ride up Franschoek pass is just what you need. In my opinion it's the best in WC at least. As for the ears, I think it will take time for the helmet to settle around them. Also, putting a helmet on is an art.   Here's Chaos causes in a humorous take on it. A tip from me. Wear ear plugs. I find them essential and if you don't, you run the risk of tinnitus or worse. I have the cone shaped squishy ones from Dischem and they are the best for me. 

Edited by sawystertrance

8 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Hehe. Just messing. Bikes are amazing things. Wishing you many happy smiley miles.

I know I am just babbling away here till the novelty/excitement wears off ... but it is very interesting just how quickly you get up to "legal speed" on the bike from a stand still or opening up to pass slower traffic.

After this, I now know I need a new car, not to go fast, but to just go faster till the speed limit :P

Yes, the torque and power to weight ratio of a bike is what hits the happy button. It's possibly the biggest kick, especially when pulling away from lights and getting away from traffic. 

15 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

A ride up Franschoek pass is just what you need. In my opinion it's the best in WC at least. As for the ears, I think it will take time for the helmet to settle around them. Also, putting a helmet on is an art.   Here's Chaos causes in a humorous take on it. A tip from me. Wear ear plugs. I find them essential and if you don't, you run the risk of tinnitus or worse. I have the cone shaped squishy ones from Dischem and they are the best for me. 

Tried watching his channel, just annoying IMO.

Ja I can see how it can be. I find his approach different and used to enjoy it but have to admit I find it less so now.

As an aside, I note the disussion around removing threads non-bike related.

One of the things I love about this thread is the spirit in which things are conducted here. Views may differ and opinions vary but the common thing is the enthusiasm we all have for motorbikes and I for one have learned things from others here. I don't remember one acrimonious exchange. Long may it continue.

18 minutes ago, GhostSixFour said:

Congrats on getting a Harley. The upside is, you don't even need a new forum to find a group - you can just go along with your normal cycling groups, they might still be a bit fast though.

Only difference being their bicycles often cost more than the Harley cost me .... and allowing for the mean average of 57litres of oils to be expected to be lost on the HD, and the petrol need to drive from traffic light to traffic light, it is STILL cheaper to maintain than their bicycles :P

So I "had to" go out during load shedding and am pleased to report that I had a GS rider and a Sports bike rider great me .......... being on a HD I obviously did not return the greeting :P .............. obviously I did return the greeting.

These guys never used to greet me when I was on a bicycle though....strange :)

28 minutes ago, Hairy said:

So I "had to" go out during load shedding and am pleased to report that I had a GS rider and a Sports bike rider great me .......... being on a HD I obviously did not return the greeting :P .............. obviously I did return the greeting.

These guys never used to greet me when I was on a bicycle though....strange :)

Dont ever ever greet those philistines on their lesser machines. 

3 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Dont ever ever greet those philistines on their lesser machines. 

It is a bad habit I will work on getting out of ... just waiting for my mail ordered leather chaps and tasseled jacket so that when they see me they will know not expect a greeting from me, though they are still bound by duty to greet me.

Kind of the same as when you ride past a Spaz S-Werks rider while on any other bike :P

What!! Did you buy a HD?? Why?? 

Haha just joking. Enjoy your HD. :) Motorcycles rule and they are all cool!! Really does not matter which bike you ride. Its the attitude of the rider, probably goes for cyclists as well. Many safe miles.