Who else is sick at the moment?

From the start of the year we had a oke constantly coughing and clearing his throat in the office. Drove me crazy. This was while I was prepping for a 100 miler trail run at the end of Feb. I told the guy a few weeks after he started, dude, maak 'n plan. Seriously. No man, I just got viral bronchitis. I'm thinking, FML. The guy is sitting 4 meters away from me in a sealed office - and I'm trying to stay healthy. 100 miler came and went, luckily stayed healthy. Then we hear oh that dude, had (still has) TB. Nice.

I got a bottle of industrial strength hand cleaner on my desk. Clean my hands after I touch anything. Even hand cleaner my cutlery before using it.

fark, dude. That's not cool. In our office, as soon as one of us has signs of something more than just a cold, even if it's a very runny nose, we go home. Not worth working when you're like that. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fark, dude. That's not cool. In our office, as soon as one of us has signs of something more than just a cold, even if it's a very runny nose, we go home. Not worth working when you're like that. 

That's exactly what I do, but other managers in our office insist their staff work until they dead. So the germs just spread around the office and everyone gets it.

Agree. Sick people should go home. Rather cost the company the absence of 1 person, than getting 11 other people sick. But no, everyone wants to be a hero.

Flu injections .... some swear by them, others are dead against them .... I have one the first week in April every year.

Other hubbers experience?

Last year in May, I made flu shots available to those staff who wanted it in the JHB office and then ran a survey 2 months later.

25 people responded to the survey.

Of the 25 respondants 8 had the shot and of those 8, 5 took off ill in the following 60 days.

17 did not have the shot and of those 17 people, 5 took sick leave in the following 60 days.

Flu shot: 63% were sick.

No shot: 31% were sick.

What I did not track was if the guys who had the shot, were sick for a shorter period of time though.

Not s scientific study AT ALL, just and interesting observation :)

That's exactly what I do, but other managers in our office insist their staff work until they dead. So the germs just spread around the office and everyone gets it.

Let some do some work in a isolated / quarantined area :ph34r:

Werk se naam is werk!

Last year in May, I made flu shots available to those staff who wanted it in the JHB office and then ran a survey 2 months later.

Of the 25 respondants 8 had the shot and of those 8, 5 took off ill in the following 60 days.

17 did not have the shot and of those 17 people, 5 took sick leave in the following 60 days.

What I did not track was if the guys who had the shot, were sick for a shorter period of time though.

We used to offer flu shots free to the factory workers as well. Made fork all difference to absenteeism. But, in my opinion, that is more a reflection on general work ethic than the effectiveness of the shot. Needless to say it is no longer offered.

A flu shot will protect you by and large from the various flu strains for that particular season.  It will do nothing to protect you against the common cold.  The common cold is what most suffer from, erroneously referred to as the flu.  Also, you cannot contract the flu as a result of a flu shot.

A flu shot will protect you by and large from the various flu strains for that particular season. It will do nothing to protect you against the common cold. The common cold is what most suffer from, erroneously referred to as the flu. Also, you cannot contract the flu as a result of a flu shot.

Cool, so flu shots are not really needed then? I need to get the guys "cold shots"....?

I haven't been sick for so long . . . . (I'll probably get hit by a bus this afternoon now!)

Some useful tips not to spread the germs.

1. Cough/sneeze into your arm pit not your hand! Else you spread the germs with your hand. Gems can live for 30 days if in the correct environment.
  2. If you do cough and sneeze make sure you are in a ventilated area. Vapour particles can spread throughout the room in seconds.
  3. Wash your hands regularly.
  4. Keep your distance if you are contagious (especially near young infants) you still can be contagious 2 weeks after you feel better.

Happy winter lads.

Edited by Stoffies1

I got a little sick the other day, just some nausea and headaches but not too bad.

Wife now got some serious gastro, and seven months preggy getting very uncomfortable now. Cant hold any food down.

I got a little sick the other day, just some nausea and headaches but not too bad.

Wife now got some serious gastro, and seven months preggy getting very uncomfortable now. Cant hold any food down.

yep. As soon as I get sick, I put myself in the spare room and dose my wife up on zinc etc. Not worth getting the other person sick... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

yep. As soon as I get sick, I put myself in the spare room and dose my wife up on zinc etc. Not worth getting the other person sick...

Agree..wife taking vitamins for the pregnancy amd it includes zinc so hoping it will help her.

*Chuckle* I wish cold shots existed. The development of a cold vaccine remains undiscovered for now.

We lose about 7%-8% of our productivity to colds and flus.

Now multiple that over our entire economy and all of a sudden the value of that little vaccine becomes very eye opening :)

Come on Doc, find a way!!! ????