Mountain bike events in South Africa centralised website

Brendan Vogt

Hi all (women as well),

I am embarking on a personal website called Race Calendar. I will be targeting multiple types of events like MTB, road cycling, trail running, road running, swimming etc. I want to start with MTB. There are so many MTB events across South Africa and they each have their own website. The reason why I started this website is because I want to have a centralised website/database where you can view all of these events across the country.

I want to display event information in a neat and readable way instead of having race details all over the place that are not consistent. I also want to display accommodation in and around the event. I always struggle to find accommodation when travelling to far away races and it would be easier if I could find accommodation close the event instead of having to go and view multiple accommodation websites.. I also want to display things to do in and around the venue for those that are going to sleep over and don't want to sit and watch TV. I want to have detailed route information and profiles. User comments after the race which can be forwarded to the event organisers. Pics of the race, Youtube videos of the routes, directions to the race, weather etc etc.

The site has been optimised to use the latest internet technologies. It is also optimsed for mobile devices because most people are all day on their phones.

It's just a personal project and website. There might be similar sites but like I said it's a personal project that I am doing in my spare time and for my own enjoyment.

If you have any ideas it would be appreciated. What would you like to see about an event before entering? Do you guys think something like this will work?

The site is very bare at the moment, I put on content as soon as when I have time.

Go to www.race-calendar.co.za to see what I am trying to do and achieve.

I have a Facebook page and Twitter account registered. If you want to please follow me on Facebook or/and Twitter. I will starting posting as soon as when I have some more content. Maybe share the site with your other MTB buddies and adventure seeking buddies. Help spread the word.

I would appreciate your feedback. I am getting a lot of hits coming from The Hub SA but no one is liking. I can understand it is probably because there isn't much information on yet. Please follow and I will notify you guys on changes. The website is dedicated to all mountain bikers, INCLUDING women.

Thanks

Brendan

Edited by bioluminescence

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about taking it one step further:

The Hubsa is as central as it will ever get, so maybe talk to Matt (Admin Guy) to take charge of the Events section. You can run it as your own site and it will include the hub's allready brilliant infrastructure, just giving some royalties to the main site's owners when you make big bucks.

Include a standard set of maps. profiles, facilities and accommodation venues.

My 2c

My 2c.

Hi

Great idea. Would be really good to have decent info about each event as well as current event websites are really lacking in many cases, especially if you are not familiar with the location.

Amen to you mate. Brilliant idea good luck. Route profiles and a rating system of "tough,technical" eg 1 star for beginners to 5 stars experienced only etc etc

Amen to you mate. Brilliant idea good luck. Route profiles and a rating system of "tough,technical" eg 1 star for beginners to 5 stars experienced only etc etc

Agree with this. Also, what would help is previous finishing times...with maybe an average estimated finishing time over the various distances. For me, this helps with planning nutrition for a race.

Great idea!

i also like the idea.

but the proof will be in the pudding.

you will just need to make 100% sure you have correct info regarding the event, and to keep your info up to date when the organisers make changes to the event.

it will beat the objective if we are using your site, but then need to double check the info on another site. (for starting times etc).

i like the previous year's winning times idea mentioned above.

you could also take it one step further and link one or two persons strava/endomondo/sportstracker tracking of the race to the event page - this might give riders additional info regarding the routes the following year.

but dont know if anyone will want to see this - but i would find it very interesting.

Edited by boristheblade

see thats what annoying - the MTBapp's site doenst have all the races on.

Die Burger Mtb on the 2nd of aug in stellenbosch is not on the list of races.

thats quite a big event not to have on the list

Wishlist item. Search by distance from event.

eg. I am in ( neighbourhood, town/ google maps click here ) all races within 100km.

The Reason: If you stay in Gauteng you have 4 provinces within 100km from you, 5 if you include Gauteng.