Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

I also thought the same but I have been having sleepless nights since my return about not completing the whole journey . I really feel for John . 

When I got home after bailing I was so consumed that I even tried to arrange going back to Slaapkranz to rejoin from there.

I eventually went back the next year and finished.

There is no other cure I am afraid.

(but you were warned when you started following these threads some years back)

PS: I get the sense that despite the bail, you found something that in a strange way really appealed to you - well that's the impression from the pics and commentary. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I got home after bailing I was so consumed that I even tried to arrange going back to Slaapkranz to rejoin from there.

I eventually went back the next year and finished.

There is no other cure I am afraid.

(but you were warned when you started following these threads some years back)

PS: I get the sense that despite the bail, you found something that in a strange way really appealed to you - well that's the impression from the pics and commentary. 

And that is a fact . After just two days of pacing up and down outside the garden my wife said , "please go and finish this next year , you will drive us all insane if you wait for two years " . As I go through the maps writing my race report I spot all the mistakes (fun mistakes) I made and get all excited about trying a different route next year (hopefully the correct one ) .

And that is a fact . After just two days of pacing up and down outside the garden my wife said , "please go and finish this next year , you will drive us all insane if you wait for two years " . As I go through the maps writing my race report I spot all the mistakes (fun mistakes) I made and get all excited about trying a different route next year (hopefully the correct one ) .

Whahaha your wife is the true hero here!

Well done Dirty - can't wait to read about your adventures ... and maybe hopefully one day hear it from your own mouth! 

Wives - they know. Mine said: "there is no way I am looking a that dik bek for 3 weeks, phone Meryl now and go".

Meryl knows too: she had already printed a number board for me.....

(talk about an addictive product and knowing your customers)

I think all of you hubbers that have taken part in this event are pure ysters.

And I have piles of work to catch up :eek:

My congratulations to johann Rissik.

Well done, General! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Thank you, ChroMo.  I can admit to still being in a state of suspended belief. 

The Freedom Challenege is all it is made out to be. And more. A whole lot more.

I'll write up my side of it in due course.

Oh, and one last bit of unsolicited advice...if you're thinking of doing it...don't delay.

Agree with the General

But, be warned. It's addictive and once is not enough

Agree with the General

But, be warned. It's addictive and once is not enough

don't tell that to Korporaal(promotion still needs to be rubber stamped) just yet. How many bikes did Lindsay need to fix in PA? And the Coffee shop?

Thank you, ChroMo.  I can admit to still being in a state of suspended belief. 

The Freedom Challenege is all it is made out to be. And more. A whole lot more.

I'll write up my side of it in due course.

Oh, and one last bit of unsolicited advice...if you're thinking of doing it...don't delay.

Great effort, Johan

I am on the way to being committed ton the 2017 edition - we'll see what happens...

Inspirational journey on your part - kudos!

don't tell that to Korporaal(promotion still needs to be rubber stamped) just yet. How many bikes did Lindsay need to fix in PA? And the Coffee shop?

OK, so next year Prince Albert pulls out all the stops....

1. Coffee (or Ricoffy and Cremora for those who by that time will have developed a taste for it) and rusks in the veld

2. Wash and service

3. Mechanic

...unless I am forced to ride ;)

OK, so next year Prince Albert pulls out all the stops....

1. Coffee (or Ricoffy and Cremora for those who by that time will have developed a taste for it) and rusks in the veld

2. Wash and service

3. Mechanic

...unless I am forced to ride ;)

Hmmm... My R2R may have just been extended a little further down the track  ^_^

speaking of prince albert, today is a really good day to ride there, tailwind from rondawel!

How many of the junkies will be at the dinner tomorrow night?

this thread will be deleted unless there are ride reports, with pikcha's of course. :ph34r:

ok links to this years ride reports will be tolerated . :thumbup:

Wives - they know. Mine said: "there is no way I am looking a that dik bek for 3 weeks, phone Meryl now and go".

Meryl knows too: she had already printed a number board for me.....

(talk about an addictive product and knowing your customers)

Haahaaa

My girlfriend did the same mid may. I still haddent bought a plane ticket and inquired about cancellation policy and extra time for boxes. As my training was far below par and my arm had not kept up with mountainbiking for most of the year.

Did a roughg riding weekend and the arm held more or less. She said I do want you here but you will be sitting in front of a screen watching trackers and beiing said. Stop crying about your arm send Meryl a mail, buy a plain ticket and go regret what you did not what you didn't. The arm held more or less with lots of cream and special attention and bike setup. It didn't like Stettyns and still feels ****** but I am so happy with my blanket.

Guys try again, learn from the mistakes you made and learn.

Pierre I think for you:

Gearing, not sleeping out(I saw your tracker so close to highover if you just had known) and then the next day you should have gone to Centacow. But yay we all make mistakes and learn, I learned a lot from Glen when I was getting lost during spring ride or believing a compass bearing and a straight ahead approach was the way to go.

Good luck however you decide to try again

Archived