Who remembers?

DPG

Yip ... and old / over stock military jackets and stuffs .... place was amazing ... just wish I had some money back then as a kid to buy some of the bloody stuffs :P

Sgt peppers used to sell Doc martens if I recall

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip ... and old / over stock military jackets and stuffs .... place was amazing ... just wish I had some money back then as a kid to buy some of the bloody stuffs :P

I bought a lot of heavy metal t-shirts there as well as a trench coat. I also bought a few badges patches and so on. Back in the day, that area was the best. Greenmarket Square, SGT peppers, The Purple Turtle and Hoggies upstairs from the Turtle. Hoggies was a record store that sold other smokables under the counter.  

Now that you mention a cycle shop , I grew up in the Roodepoort area. There was (is ) a small cycle shop in the dorpie.....guess what " Cajees ". Sold them my old Dikwiel to have enough money to go to Durbs with my Ouboet and his friends. Dad nearly killed me and forced me to get it back. The old Oom at the shop , with his white beard and pajama clothes ( sorry to those that may feel offended ) was less impressed. I somehow helped with the growth of Cajees to this multi branch group.

Roodepoort, sheesh, used to go ten pin bowling and ice skating. Remember when they first built that hypermarket - it was like THE place to go.

Wendy remembers there being one in Horizon View? And when that closed they used to go to Key West in Krugersdorp.

Where I lived in Kriel we never had an ice rink, best we could do was icy roads in winter and smooth soled school shoes

Who remembers hearing over the school intercom...'Hairy, Slowbee, Bonus and Jakkals to the principles office!'...low mummer in the classroom

it was report to the prefects room :)

it was report to the prefects room :)

The principal and I were on first name basis (well in my head anyway)

At one stage I just walked in and assumed the position to get my 6. Sit down for a chat and go back to class.

I lost becoming a prefect by one vote, the biology teacher had a severe dislike in me. Told me in st 8 I won't pass her subject in matric, the day we got our results I walked up to her and shoved my distinction in her face

At one stage I just walked in and assumed the position to get my 6. Sit down for a chat and go back to class.

I lost becoming a prefect by one vote, the biology teacher had a severe dislike in me. Told me in st 8 I won't pass her subject in matric, the day we got our results I walked up to her and shoved my distinction in her face

Clearly you were not in a school that enforced good manners through the use of bully tactics.

Otherwise you would have left a copy of the certificate on her desk with a nice chocolate .... laced with brooklax

Wendy remembers there being one in Horizon View? And when that closed they used to go to Key West in Krugersdorp.

Where I lived in Kriel we never had an ice rink, best we could do was icy roads in winter and smooth soled school shoes

Sheesh, you made me go to google and go look - and seeing the map and roads bring back so many memories.

Take the bike and head out onto high street, which becomes Main (Westdene cycles was not at that site, it was in Fordsburg in those days). Head all the way onto ondekkers, turn down hendrick potgieter (the checkers hyper was on the left). Coming down the hill was always a case of getting the timing right to catch the robots (now I see they have a by bass). Then head all the way past the gardens to onto Sterkfontein Caves.

And then you head all the way back. On a solid stainless steel steed. With two bottles of water. We were young and fearless or young and stupid. Took almost the entire day to do that. No wonder my folks loved weekends. They never saw me!

The horrible one was to head down past the brixton tower, turn left at the bottom towards RAU (now UJ) and then go down the steep hill through Melville towards the bottom of the koppies, then onto Beyers Naude (cant remember the old name). Those rolling hills were a killer! Coming back up that hill into Melville and then the Brixton tower .. eina.

And then they built Cresta and traffic increased and that was that.

so her reverse psychology worked then?

Sheesh, you made me go to google and go look - and seeing the map and roads bring back so many memories.

Head all the way onto ondekkers, turn down hendrick potgieter - the checkers hyper was on the left.

That Hyper was our biggest local supermarket a couple of years ago when we lived in Florida Park and then in Veltevreden Park. No more than 5 mins drive from either home. It's at the bottom of the 14th Ave hill which I never once tried to ride up, not because it was steep but because the traffic was mental!

Golf club terrace was actually steeper I think.

• 2 weeks later...