Who remembers?

DPG

I know a few people whose Ironman and 70.3 races have been saved by coke bottle tops when they were refused entry into transition because their bar-end plugs were missing....

In fact I have a coke bottle top in my toolbox when I go to big races, just in case :-)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a whole fishing kit crammed in the back.

And it’s called a “Rambo knife” btw!!!

Yeh I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread back then, and I thought I was Rambo when I had it on me.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

My first 'racing bike' was a blue Western Flyer with Shimano Tourney gears...

Yip mine was a red one.  That thing was almost bullet proof.  Man I loved that bike and put many many miles on it, till it was stolen.  Man I sobbed about that bike being stolen.

bf00411438861490e67896165bcd7c85.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

My father passed away 3 weeks ago and I went through the gun safe, lo and behold, look what I found after about 34 years hidden in the safe. With a few matches, fishing line and the compass still inside. Brought back so many carefree memories of camping in an old farm house only me and my best buddy, 10 and 11 years old.afa8f4d5e41a23b71c33db554419f4c4.jpg6c303323cac3590044cb7b6e1f98ee7a.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I had an Exocet which cracked when I was in std 9, effectively put an end to my cycling 'career'. Then Wally Flint at Jowetts Cycles sponsored me a Peugeot Classique frame made of Tange 1. I put Coke bottle tops on the ends of the bars as plugs and won the junior section of the Kokstad Tour in around 1993 I think it must have been. One of the okes said to me, 'Please for the love of all that is good, buy yourself some proper plugs because those Coke tops have been irritating the sh*t out of everyone'

Lol I started with a road Peugeot tange 1 frame that cracked and then moved onto an Exocet triathlon frame bike.... made by John Freeman

My father passed away 3 weeks ago and I went through the gun safe, lo and behold, look what I found after about 34 years hidden in the safe. With a few matches, fishing line and the compass still inside. Brought back so many carefree memories of camping in an old farm house only me and my best buddy, 10 and 11 years old.afa8f4d5e41a23b71c33db554419f4c4.jpg6c303323cac3590044cb7b6e1f98ee7a.jpg

So flippen awesome! So many cool memories about it.

Mine went on many weekend and holiday fishing trips along the banks of the Vaal river. It was by my side all day and night.

I used that knife to graffiti a tree on my dad's buddy's plot with the date 22/2/1986 - Hayley's Comet was in the night sky as beautiful as could be! 

At some stage all the paint was off it and I re-painted it with Airfix paint in camo, which also didn't last long. I lost it when I tipped the canoe about 4km's down from the Vaaldam wall in the rapids one Sunday morning.

Edit: it had a wood saw type cable with two keyrings, completely useless and all, but was never thrown ou

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Mine went on many weekend and holiday fishing trips along the banks of the Vaal river. It was by my side all day and night.

I used that knife to graffiti a tree on my dad's buddy's plot with the date 22/2/1986 - Hayley's Comet was in the night sky as beautiful as could be!

At some stage all the paint was off it and I re-painted it with Airfix paint in camo, which also didn't last long. I lost it when I tipped the canoe about 4km's down from the Vaaldam wall in the rapids one Sunday morning.

Edit: it had a wood saw type cable with two keyrings, completely useless and all, but was never thrown ou

That wire type saw? Mine also got a camo Airfix paint job, a new one almost every weekend. Edited by Patchelicious

Wood saw type cable [emoji848][emoji3166] I used the knife to cut down trees like only Rambo could/should. You didn't use it correctly then. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...