Who remembers?

DPG

We had a yellow one like that when i was at school. Nicknamed the yellow submarine, it went everywhere and carried everything from garden refuse to the dump, muddy soccer/rugby players home after the game and our family on our annual holiday to the Cape from Jozzie.

It was the car i learnt to drive first and also the car i would "borrow" to visit my mates when the folks were out  :ph34r:

Naughty you, I'm going to refer your children to this post :ph34r:  ;)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I raise him right it won't break him.

Grease under your finger nails has never hurt a man.

And he won't grow up mechanically useless like those TG idiots who shouldn't be allowed near cars.

True, but scrubbing all the grease off your hands Sunday before church certainly has...

And I bet your hearing never quite recovered from the straight cut gears in the gearbox.....

Is that what caused the bloody whining sound?

Remember watching these compete at Kyalami in the hands of Scamp Porter and Puddles Adler.

Then some kid named Jody Scheckter showed up in a turbo-charged version that was so quick the front-end kept lifting off down that long main straight. Very sideways through Clubhouse corner too (maybe that's where he got the nickname from).

if you read Jody's biography eventually Scamp Porter and the works Renault team would put their cars under covers when he was in their garage as he was beating them as a privateer. Every time they improved he copied them and beat them the next weekend out. Jodie was fast in a shopping trolley which he clearly demonstrated later in his career. I remember the 1979 SA Grand Prix with him and Gilles Villeneuve like yesterday, the year he won the world championship. We were seated down at Crowthorne. Rain delayed start and all sorts of antics. 

Remember Hamilton Airship Company ? What a class shyster. Jonathon eventually committed suicide.( Avcom.co.za )

Edited by Tromp

True, but scrubbing all the grease off your hands Sunday before church certainly has...

I have to admit to always keeping a box of surgical gloves around for any dirty job, home, bike or car, because cleaning dirty fingernails is just too much of a pain in the butt for someone who hates to struggle.

if you read Jody's biography eventually Scamp Porter and the works Renault team would put their cars under covers when he was in their garage as he was beating them as a privateer. Every time they improved he copied them and beat them the next weekend out. Jodie was fast in a shopping trolley which he clearly demonstrated later in his career. I remember the 1979 SA Grand Prix with him and Gilles Villeneuve like yesterday, the year he won the world championship. We were seated down at Crowthorne. Rain delayed start and all sorts of antics. 

Great era in SA racing.

A little while after that he moved up to Formula Ford, and I remember sitting at Clubhouse Corner (we were members of the SCC so a great place to be). The first 7 times through Clubhouse, Scheckter would spin that FF every time. 7 times in a row! Photographers had a field day, and the grownups (and in that enclosure those were mostly all racers of some ilk) were declaring him useless and that he'd never make it in single seaters!

Do you guys remember back in the good old days, when cyclists still had to use their own legs to get to the top of the hills. Oh those were the days.....

Unshaved.