Chain cleaner!

Sepia

What is it with the water?? Clean in parrafin - turps - lampolie - petrol -meths and just hang up to dry.

No! no! no! not in that order just use any ONE.

Would put water in detergent yes.

Benzine is moer expensive - paint thinner and acetone is cheaper.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been using benzine cleans it up nicely and in a few seconds its dry and ready for lube

Do you use a respiratory filter or mask whilst using Benzine? Not exactly the healthiest chemical to work with.

Benzene is basically low grade petrol. Both extremely flammable and have strong solvents that are not good for you or your skin. Paraffin much less dangerous. I soak the chain in it, shake it up a bit and scrub with an old toothbrush. Hang up to dry in the sun...then refit and lube. Not all chain components are corrosion resistant so I avoid water and degreaser as much as possible. Its a mountain bike - it doesnt have to sparkle

Edited by JXV

Do you use a respiratory filter or mask whilst using Benzine? Not exactly the healthiest chemical to work with.

Commercially available benzene is a petroleum distillate and doesnt contain much actual benzine (C6H6) which is a known carcinogen. Still dangerous though because very flammable

Still dangerous though because very flammable

It's dangerous if you smokes while you cleans your chain using benzine (but that would also applies to paraffin, paint-thinner, etc). ;)

Benzine works for me; but depending how dirty the chain is, it'll take a while to get all the dirt off the chain.

i usually just drop it in a bucket of benzine to soak while i clean the rest of my bike and have a smoke, by the time im done with the bike i scrub the chain in the benzine before hanging it up to dry, then lube then bed......usually in that order unless........

so parafin is the better option you say, i never knew that, but thanks for the heads up will definitlely consider it :thumbup:

It's dangerous if you smokes while you cleans your chain using benzine (but that would also applies to paraffin, paint-thinner, etc). ;)

Benzine works for me; but depending how dirty the chain is, it'll take a while to get all the dirt off the chain.

Yes all flammable but petrol/benzine will produce a flammable vapour cloud above the liquid surface at room temperature. Paraffin does not.

Bear in mind chain has ferrous metals. Can spark when dry. So can plastic containers (static) and synthetic clothing. People underestimate petrol all the time. You dont have to be smoking to set it off.

To ignite paraffin at room temp you would have to actually touch a flame to the liquid surface so chance of accidental ignition is much less.

Sorry for the sermon but if prevents just one accident out there I'm happy

Flight M7 degreaser works like a charm especially with Smoove lube. I apply it with a tooth brush while the chain is on the bike and simply hose it off with water minutes later. It has a neutral PH so there is no risk to the paintwork and after 3months of using it I've not yet seen the need to remove my chain for a soak clean.

i take mine to cycle lab tyger manor on a monday morning.wash and lube looks like new bike R 20.00.

This Benzine thing. It is Highly, highly carcinogenic.

Don't ever use the stuff for anything!!!!