Brakes not really breaking

RussDix

Like everyone above mentioned.. Two things that you have to check - pad contamination and your bleeding method. If your lever reaches your bars it means something really is not right. If your pads and discs are clean bleed the whole system again.

Rather have it perfect than failing on a descent :eek:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everyone above mentioned.. Two things that you have to check - pad contamination and your bleeding method. If your lever reaches your bars it means something really is not right. If your pads and discs are clean bleed the whole system again.

Rather have it perfect than failing on a descent :eek:

Ja also good advise but alas they are avids....they are going to fail anyway :whistling:

And? I've also had shimano (my wife has them on her bike) as well as tektro. Now THOSE were crap.

In the avid stable - elixir 5, xx + code.

The OP's problem could occur with any brand. Maybe a bit of diet stuck next to the piston, but most probably air in the system and improperly bedded pads

Im with Mayhem here. I have both Shimano and Avids. Both sets bought second hand and both sets were rather poorly maintained and showed the same signs of brake fade, no stopping etc.

Its quite simple, new pads and a proper bleed sorted both sets and with proper maintenance on both sets to be honest they will last forever.

I prefer my Avids so to all that wants to throw theirs away throw them my way please :thumbup:

Im with Mayhem here. I have both Shimano and Avids. Both sets bought second hand and both sets were rather poorly maintained and showed the same signs of brake fade, no stopping etc.

Its quite simple, new pads and a proper bleed sorted both sets and with proper maintenance on both sets to be honest they will last forever.

I prefer my Avids so to all that wants to throw theirs away throw them my way please :thumbup:

Sure, what happened to the OP can happen to any brake system, we just having a bit of fun with the Avid clan...so much of fun watching them covering their wickets

Sure, what happened to the OP can happen to any brake system, we just having a bit of fun with the Avid clan...so much of fun watching them covering their wickets

Lol nothing wrong with having a bit of fun on Wacky Wednesday :w00t: .... Halfway to moermekaar Fridays :clap:

Lol! The thing is, some of the balls we are facing are so wide, they're going to silly mid before the batsman has even had a chance to see the approach!

Just make sure when you bleed them the "contact in" or "pad contact" adjustment is screwed all the way out. Actually make sure it is all the way out now anyway. Then pump the lever a dozen or so times. You may find the piston in the master cylinder hasn't had a chance to come back enough to let the fluid from the reservoir into the system. You may suddenly find the lever gets more pressure. Then screw the "contact in" adjustment in until you have optimum feel and pressure on the lever.

It's only a good thing when brakes don't break.

Your problem (apart from your spelling) as mentioned by others is those rubbish Avid brakes. Shimano SLX offer the best bang for buck brakes on the market. Fit them - you'll thank us later.

The age old Avid vs Shimano debate..... I run Juicy 5's on my DH bike.... no problem. I run Hayes on my trail bike..... no problem. Had Shimanos on my old NRS, no problem. Ridden a bike with Tekros on.... no problem. Either I have a f'n strong grip or I'm riding too slow....

I'm going with too slow :D

OR maybe my brakes are just set up properly.

@ OP if your lever travel is right up to the bars, I would think it could be a bleed issue. If you have lever but no braking force, my guess would be pad/rotor contamination or you failed to bed them in properly. remove the pads and rub them on some 200 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Rub the rotors lightly with water paper and clean them thoroughly with brake cleaner. If you have fluid on your pads, I would suggest a new set of pads.

I am having issues with my Avid R-SL's as well.

been bleeding, and bleeding and sorts out the problem for about 5kms and then its back to squishyness.

would love, absolutely love to change to shimano but have no budget for it.

last resort is buying service kit for them, as I believe their internal thingies (technical term) needs to be sorted.

I am having issues with my Avid R-SL's as well.

been bleeding, and bleeding and sorts out the problem for about 5kms and then its back to squishyness.

would love, absolutely love to change to shimano but have no budget for it.

last resort is buying service kit for them, as I believe their internal thingies (technical term) needs to be sorted.

You'll probably find that there's just ONE little bubble left somewhere in the system that's just farking it up for you. That, or you have a leak somewhere...

You'll probably find that there's just ONE little bubble left somewhere in the system that's just farking it up for you. That, or you have a leak somewhere...

A leak would surely show traces, and I have not found anything. Been feeling ready to give up on them ever since the weekend ride...

A leak would surely show traces, and I have not found anything. Been feeling ready to give up on them ever since the weekend ride...

It could, yes - but it may be an air leak. Allowing air in to the system, rather than oil out.