Brakes not really breaking

RussDix

Hi guys,

I put new brake pads on my bike today and now they hardly working. Only once the lever basically touches the bars do you feel anything start to happen. I bled them and still no improvement, any advice on how I can sort this out?

They are avid juicey disk brakes.

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you bleed the brake, you could also try to burp them. Google it. And you could also try and flip the bike over and press the brake a few times and flip back over on the wheel again and press the brake again. There might just be a little air bubble in there when you pushed back the pistons. Just try and first get rid of it that way, I did this and it worked for me, no need for a bleed.

Thanks for the response everyone. I will fiddle around with them today maybe go for a bit of a ride and see if that helps at all. It just seems as if when I pull the brake hard there is hardly any pressure or resistance against the disc.

Are the old pads worn exactly parallel to the backing plate? If not this is a sign the calipers and new pads are not aligned to the disc. If the brakes were working well before changing pads this could be the reason. Juicys have those cone washers on the mounting that allow you to get the pads exactly parallel to the disc. Do this alignment first. Then if the brake levers still fell spongy air is the likely cause and bleeding is needed. It wont hurt to clean and gently sand the new pads by rubbing against fine sandpaper backed by a flat surface such as wooden block.

Avid owner ^^ :ph34r:

And? I've also had shimano (my wife has them on her bike) as well as tektro. Now THOSE were crap.

In the avid stable - elixir 5, xx + code.

The OP's problem could occur with any brand. Maybe a bit of diet stuck next to the piston, but most probably air in the system and improperly bedded pads