Daryl Impey cleared!

NotSoBigBen

Daryl wins the last stage and the GC

WHOOHOO!

Pic from twitter

post-12015-0-94614400-1410150298_thumb.jpg

The Canadian race was Impey’s first race back after being cleared of doping in recent weeks and being allowed back to competition.

Impey had finished second in the bunch-sprint finish to stage 4, behind winner Theo Bos (Belkin), moving the South African into third overall. At that point, with just one stage left to race, Impey was nine seconds behind overall leader Tom Dumoulin (Giant- Shimano) — who had led since taking out the prologue ITT — and eight seconds behind second-placed Ruben Zepunkte (Bissell Development Team), the winner of stage 1.

The final stage came down to a bunch sprint in Edmonton and with Impey taking the win (ahead of Optum-Kelly Benefits’ Ryan Anderson and Garmin-Sharp’s Ramunas Navardauskas), the Orica-GreenEdge rider earned 10 bonus seconds — enough to give him the overall victory by just one second. Tom Dumoulin was second overall, with Zepunkte third.

From cyclingtips

post-12015-0-94614400-1410150298_thumb.jpg

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Impey, who was a last-minute substitution on his team for the race and coming off a two-month ban that was lifted, benefited from the 10-second time bonus to dislodge Dumoulin as the overall leader, taking the yellow jersey by just one second.

“After everything I’ve gone through, this victory is very rewarding,” said Impey, who had a doping charge dropped after recent investigation by the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport, only four days before arriving in Alberta last week. “My team did an incredible job getting me the best position to sprint for the win.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/impey-takes-alberta-stage-win-clinches-overall-title-one-second_344491#PuSiCsopjXBuFbvJ.99

http://storage.edmontonsun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297603663019_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

Daryl Impey@darylimpey 5h

"Thanks so much to everyone who supported me over the past couple months , this is for all of you"

Edited by kosmonooit

must say he obviously was in good shape meaning he's been training, meaning that he was confident in being vindicated, I suppose meaning an innocent man not giving up on getting back to the top of the world.

good on him!

http://storage.edmontonsun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297603663019_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

"Thanks so much to everyone who supported me over the past couple months , this is for all of you"

Probably Impey's best kisses yet! Sweet reward after some hard times.

Should we not still be smelling a rat ?

He might have been cleared for other reasons than that is given .The pharmacist story just does not hold water .I believe he is clean ,but that the testing is where the mess up was made

Should we not still be smelling a rat ?

tsk tsk such cynicism ...

Got tad irritated over various headlines on this victory saying "Impey wins after coming back from ban" He wasn't banned, suspended yes during this kok-up of note.

tsk tsk such cynicism ...

Got tad irritated over various headlines on this victory saying "Impey wins after coming back from ban" He wasn't banned, suspended yes during this kok-up of note.

My words weren't even cold vvvvvvvvvv

brilliant. like the way instead of a toy lion you get a pair of gloves!