How good is the "good" advice in the technical section

fabes

Any advice that involves one of these is probably not good...

post-4091-0-59840100-1409645795_thumb.png

Don't joke ... I just witnessed a really top end bike shop using one of those while working on a rather racy carbon HT.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't joke ... I just witnessed a really top end bike shop using one of those while working on a rather racy carbon HT.

the bigger the problem the bigger the hammer...

If duct tape doesnt work,

a hammer is the answer.

I have received solid advice and not so great advise on the hub,

i have also received shocking advice from bike shops.

Common sense is the key.

Also google sheldon brown ...

no don't do that, make it a bloody favourite on your browser!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Question, since Sheldon went to go ride singletrack in the sky - who is considered the go to GUY now? I see that 'they' do keep his page updated, but can I trust the new stuff?

I don't often post in this section as I am not well clued up on the technical ins and outs around the bicycle, however I do come and read up on a few threads if I have a technical issue/problem on my bike to try and see if I can resolve it myself without having to pop in at LBS.

The first reason for me not posting a problem or issue is that I am afraid of the reaction I might receive and secondly I am not sure how great some of the advice is around here lately. I will see someone respond to a question with his solution to the problem then comes the second guy and says the total opposite of what the first person said. And then the big fight starts and the OP still doesn't have an answer to his/her question

So how good is the "good" advice around here?

My advice is always best.

If you have a problem, get an ice cold beer to drink while thinking about it.

The scariest tool I've ever seen used in a workshop is bike-specific...

post-1604-0-80968100-1409646703_thumb.jpg

I don't even know what that is... :blush:

edit: I just googled it... It might as well be a crowbar. :eek:

Edited by nolipoli

I don't often post in this section as I am not well clued up on the technical ins and outs around the bicycle, however I do come and read up on a few threads if I have a technical issue/problem on my bike to try and see if I can resolve it myself without having to pop in at LBS.

The first reason for me not posting a problem or issue is that I am afraid of the reaction I might receive and secondly I am not sure how great some of the advice is around here lately. I will see someone respond to a question with his solution to the problem then comes the second guy and says the total opposite of what the first person said. And then the big fight starts and the OP still doesn't have an answer to his/her question

So how good is the "good" advice around here?

The last few years has seen phenomenal growth in cycling. this is great for folks in the industry since they have access to a bigger market now. With more demand has cvome higher pricing and inevitably, the back yard mechanic who has spotted a gap in that insufficiently trained people are available to LBS and distributors alike to service this bigger market.

The result is a lot of people thinking they know how this works or that and the first thing they want to do is share this new found knowledge with everyone. It akin to a grade 8 high school scholar wanting to tell the matrics how to do university math. there may be one gifted person but the rest....well...

Would I trust tech advice on TheHub? Unless i knew the person offering the advice has a track record of knowing what they're talking about I would just ignore it. Its far better to simply PM the people who know whats going on and get their opinion, decide on your solution and post an outcome. Everything else is just a noise generator which devalues the Tech Q&A section and makes it really hard for people to find meaningful info (when running a search) instead of just useless banter or wheel size debates (doesn't belong in the Tech Q&A anyway.)

I guess we are in the age of instant gratification.

"what Oil" theads seems to be a disease on blogs in many hobbies lately...

"What wheel size" isn't worthy of discussion and really shows that the person asking hasn't bothered doing a stitch of work at finding out any info or understanding the real issue. they probly deserve the 29er they get sold.

So fire away. My view on the current state of the Tech Q&A is that the people with real knowledge are more reluctant to share thier hard earned knowledge so the Googelators step in and provide incorrect, sometimes dangerous information.

the few who have real information, gained through the old fashioned way of books, experience and qualifications coupled to work experience are more reluctant to get into debates with Googleators who may have read one Googled article and now thinks they have all the answers...Why? Because they'd rather be spending their time and knowledge on matters that earn a living instead debating with trolls and "Johnny come lately know it alls but actually know nothings."

Its the way of the world so good luck with the advice you get from the Googlelators!!