Who has the right of way?

georges

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dirkitect, (I kinda get his sense of superiority from assuming his profession) needs to select his races more carefully, seems he's fallen into the trap of mass marketing race series.

Anyway, I admire your A-type personality, shining through in all that you do. keep going, sport.

I am busy organizing the Voet van Afrika MTB Challenge(19 Oct 2014) and the long route will have abt 35 km of single track(latter part) and part of my briefing I intend to request slow riders to give track at all times.

This is a very difficult matter especially where you take part in badly seeded races etc. I have never seen a rider on ST that's holding up the people behind suddenly being blessed with improved skills though the majority all stubbornly ride like they've been cursed with deafness instead - W2W a case in point(and not woman drivers/riders alone :) )

IMO if you request fairly(twice) and can pass safely but being denied the opportunity then it's up to you what you do next and the rider in front to face the consequences.

I will also inform the riders that I will not entertain any complaints re this matter whilst I don't condone people being ridden off the trails. I intend to have enough "move over spots" and see if this helps - something that race oranizers can think of bringing into races.

However, having said all that, my sympathy definately lies with the rider being held up - too many people ride races where the technical requirements in certain sections are above their skills level purely because those people have never bothered to go for skills classes or tried to improve their skills themselves.

It's a pity that this thread was not as constructive as can be as I was really looking for some more pointers that's helpful. Anyway, plse comment and let's see, cheers, Naas

IMO if you request fairly(twice) and can pass safely but being denied the opportunity then it's up to you what you do next and the rider in front to face the consequences.........................

Perhaps aggressiveness like this is understandable in the leading group, racing for the podium, but totally out of place further down the field. I trust that you are not condoning causing a fellow rider to crash and possibly seriously injured.

It's a pity that this thread was not as constructive as can be as I was really looking for some more pointers that's helpful. Anyway, plse comment and let's see, cheers, Naas

Good call on the "passing points" - wasting good single track at low speed has to be one of the most irritating things on the planet.

Dual single track ala Joberg/Sani2c is also a winner.

The worst sins a race organiser can commit are:

1) Combining the long and short distance races.

2) Poor route marking.

Steer clear of those two and you should be fine.

I am busy organizing the Voet van Afrika MTB Challenge(19 Oct 2014) and the long route will have abt 35 km of single track(latter part) and part of my briefing I intend to request slow riders to give track at all times.

This is a very difficult matter especially where you take part in badly seeded races etc. I have never seen a rider on ST that's holding up the people behind suddenly being blessed with improved skills though the majority all stubbornly ride like they've been cursed with deafness instead - W2W a case in point(and not woman drivers/riders alone :) )

IMO if you request fairly(twice) and can pass safely but being denied the opportunity then it's up to you what you do next and the rider in front to face the consequences.

I will also inform the riders that I will not entertain any complaints re this matter whilst I don't condone people being ridden off the trails. I intend to have enough "move over spots" and see if this helps - something that race oranizers can think of bringing into races.

However, having said all that, my sympathy definately lies with the rider being held up - too many people ride races where the technical requirements in certain sections are above their skills level purely because those people have never bothered to go for skills classes or tried to improve their skills themselves.

wow just wow

And you as a race organizer condone maybe even share in this behavior.....noted.

Let me also ask this to the singletrack heros....why was it ok for you to sit on the talentless dirt roadie's wheel before going into the singletrack?

Let me also ask this to the singletrack heros....why was it ok for you to sit on the talentless dirt roadie's wheel before going into the singletrack?

Dude - don't you know? Riders that are slower than you end up in front of you by magic.

The only actual reasons I know of are:

1) Fatties that don't dig training but love the single track. After one race they should know they'll get smashed by the microlights on the climbs and have to endure saturated single track.

2) Bad seeding. Solution - ride more - sure you'll have to suffer 1 or 3 congested races but after that it's A bunch all the way - miles and miles of pristine single track with nary a rider on it.

Dude - don't you know? Riders that are slower than you end up in front of you by magic.

The only actual reasons I know of are:

1) Fatties that don't dig training but love the single track. After one race they should know they'll get smashed by the microlights on the climbs and have to endure saturated single track.

2) Bad seeding. Solution - ride more - sure you'll have to suffer 1 or 3 congested races but after that it's A bunch all the way - miles and miles of pristine single track with nary a rider on it.

The Monster comes to mind

I say that problems occur when you have riders from different batches asking for track and the egos explode. When racing a rider in your batch he/she needs to get to the ST ahead of you and that's racing. BUT imagine a rider from D batch asking a rider from C batch asking for track? What? Never! In order to alleviate the problem make sure that you start batches at intervals of at least 10 minutes or more.

The truth is most riders at races are not very fit and don't have expert tech skills. It was interesting doing my first race, starting right at the back unseeded. I saw aunties panic at the sight of every pebble and oomies start puffing at the bottom of the first hill. But to ride up their butts and try pass in the singletrack just makes the aunty more nervous and the oomie more self conscious. There is always more than enough district road and jeep track to get ahead, you just need to be patient for a few minutes. I have never yelled 'track' to someone and never will. After three races, I'm seeded better and have few hold ups.

I say that problems occur when you have riders from different batches asking for track and the egos explode. When racing a rider in your batch he/she needs to get to the ST ahead of you and that's racing. BUT imagine a rider from D batch asking a rider from C batch asking for track? What? Never! In order to alleviate the problem make sure that you start batches at intervals of at least 10 minutes or more.

+1 and NO I mean NO - combining race distances. EVER.

The truth is most riders at races are not very fit and don't have expert tech skills. It was interesting doing my first race, starting right at the back unseeded. I saw aunties panic at the sight of every pebble and oomies start puffing at the bottom of the first hill. But to ride up their butts and try pass in the singletrack just makes the aunty more nervous and the oomie more self conscious. There is always more than enough district road and jeep track to get ahead, you just need to be patient for a few minutes. I have never yelled 'track' to someone and never will. After three races, I'm seeded better and have few hold ups.

Most of this "right of way" thing is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I've done loads of races where distances combine or double lap races and 99% of people react well to a "passing on your right" followed by a "thanks man".

A few don't know their left from their right, a few get the panic wobble and there are those MEMEMEMEMEMEME pillocks that refuse to give way because "they also paid their entry fee" but they are the the tiny minority.