JUMA Rant - Show me the money

MTB-BFK

I was thinking just now with all the biatching a moaning, if I was the guy signing beeeeeg cheques for events I don't think there is any other sport that comes close to moaning as much as "men in Lycra " my cheque might rather go towards a TOUGH sport like netball, most those "ladies" have more bottle

ja ja....and not because you enjoy watching the ladies in those short skirt things?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ja ja....and not because you enjoy watching the ladies in those short skirt things?

Bwhaaaa, no my company actually sponsored a team once, they never moaned and they were just all to great full for getting the opportunity to do the tours, lots of bitchiness but tough as nails those bunch

You have no idea how much they had to pay Parks to be allowed to develop and ride the trails on Sunday.

Nope only charity work

Hands up....how many cycle "races" happen where the organisers do it for the love of the sport???

It might have been lik ethat when Dominee Smuts en sy kerkraad organised a race for the poor little bastards without homes...but nowadays - it's a business...and nothing wrong with that!

BUT if yuo pay good dollar for something, then you'd expect a good value for your money....else the future of such a race is doomed...from the start.

Like my take on restaurants in my area....there are so many around - I NEVER have to go back twice if I did not like the service / vibe / food...

That said - when is the CApe town leg happening??

PS: I was attending the Warrior obstacle event over tyhe weekend - what fun the folks had...AND my respect for gym bunnies grew 100 fold!!

Neither is the level of righteous indigntion that you're currently peddling.

Yes, the medical backup could and should have been better, and the waterpoints were lacking. But again - it was the first event of hopefully many more of its type, and these things do not cost a small amount of money. 

Yet, you're saying that the organisers are inept, uncaring, money-grabbing bastards because they have the temerity of charging more than you deem necessary for an event which you have no idea about the costs thereof. 

Yes, your experience is valid. yes, your friend has a right to be upset about the level of medical assistance there was at the event, and about being "left" to his own devices when there was no medical backup coming your way (if it was so close to the main thoroughfare, though, why not call 112 or another emergency medical number to come and fetch him?) but you don't need to do it like this and just try to tear the organisers to shreds because of their perceived shortcomings. 

This reminds me of J Ancer, in some way... 

Funny thing is he did phone 112. And 082 911 etc. Only to get a recorded message saying the mailbox was full...

I disagree with all the naysayers who feel this was a money grabbing exercise. And the ones that say the bottlenecks were solely newbies at the back of the field (I've been riding for 12 years, don't do many races, got to start in T, and spent over an hour standing still according to my GPS recording, and probably another hour going less than 10 kph behind someone's wheel). 

The man who broke his pelvis is also anything but inexperienced. He is the chairman of one of the big cycling clubs in JHB. Point is not that he fell or that the course was too difficult - it wasn't. Point is that you do not compromise on medical assistance. 

2 hrs wait during an event in the middle of JHB with a serious injury?

Not acceptable

Morning all, what are we ranting about today.

I was happy to be on the road bike for 5 hours on Sunday 

How about :

If you get off your butt and do some training, you should be able to do that ride in 4 hours.....

Funny thing is he did phone 112. And 082 911 etc. Only to get a recorded message saying the mailbox was full...

I disagree with all the naysayers who feel this was a money grabbing exercise. And the ones that say the bottlenecks were solely newbies at the back of the field (I've been riding for 12 years, don't do many races, got to start in T, and spent over an hour standing still according to my GPS recording, and probably another hour going less than 10 kph behind someone's wheel).

The man who broke his pelvis is also anything but inexperienced. He is the chairman of one of the big cycling clubs in JHB. Point is not that he fell or that the course was too difficult - it wasn't. Point is that you do not compromise on medical assistance.

2 hrs wait during an event in the middle of JHB with a serious injury?

Not acceptable

100% and also poor form on the normal er services.

Oh. And this is how to give criticism

A question to all these Mr Min types that always complain about people that get off at something that feels technical to them. I get off my bike whenever I feel my risk is too high. I also get caught behind other people getting off, but I am always a bit ashamed that they got there before me. I also find it amazing how many of these technical gifted riders cannot actually pedal a bike and quickly disappears up the next hill or on a lekker hard tempo riding section. Is MTB only about riding down?

Morning all, what are we ranting about today.

I was happy to be on the road bike for 5 hours on Sunday whilst the rest of Jozi smoothed out the Spruit even more.

I had 5h around Buffelsdrift. Great new ride.

A question to all these Mr Min types that always complain about people that get off at something that feels technical to them. I get off my bike whenever I feel my risk is too high. I also get caught behind other people getting off, but I am always a bit ashamed that they got there before me. I also find it amazing how many of these technical gifted riders cannot actually pedal a bike and quickly disappears up the next hill or on a lekker hard tempo riding section. Is MTB only about riding down?

A similar question can be asked... "is MTB only about fitness/endurace?"

Different strokes. Some people live for fast challenging descents, with rock gardens, drops, jumps etc. Others live for the challenge of enduring. Pushing their physical limits, to fight through fatigue and summit that next climb. To each their own.

The difference comes in (or at least as far as I have found... ie. my personaly opinion so fire away)... in that one very seldom sees a fast-descender-slow-climber not giving way on an ascent, to those that climb better, but the converse is not true.

I experienced this the most as Sani. With only myself to blame (no training, a few extra kgs, and a 160mm bike) I was easily passed on most of the climbs on day 1. I didn't mind and I gave way wherever I could. This adversly affected my seeding for day 2, where I found myself stuck behind people that dismounted for anything more than a bunch of 3 rocks. These people would not let me pass. One guy even tried to block me while decending. He got aggitated as he heard me freewheeling close behind him, waiting for a chance to pass. But he refused to give it. I eventually took him on the inside of a switchback, which infuriated him further.

My question is, what does that sort of "wait behind me" attitude achieve? I'm pretty sure most riders would make more mistakes if they had a faster descender close up behind them. So let them through, relax. You'll catch them on the next climb. They won't take your 342nd place title from you.

Edited by patches