Performance enhancing substances among amateurs

I dont dope and I am not looking for a fight. All this stuff is called performance enhancing drugs? Someone whith a bike slightly better that a makro special rocks up at a race and someone else stands next to him with a R100k bike with all the best suplements and stuff, they both trained the same amount, how is that fair? Do we all not take "suplements" to rehidrate better, stop cramping ect? if you are an amateur, why does it bother you when someone is doping, you where not going to win in any way? I am not pro doping, but if someone is prepaired to take all the risks involved with doping, good on him. If someone can not do a marathon/ultra race because he only has 4h a weak to train, who am I to judged him for doping because he wants to enjoy his weakends with his buddies who has 10h a weak to train and is doing the longer races? My dad is old and not as strong has he use to be, he went to the bike shop and bought himself the lightest bike he can find to give him a helping hand, why is that fine but not someone who is doping? I understand that 5kg on a bike I not going to make u much faster, but it is still a form of performance enhancing that does not evolved training. (Legal matters aside)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ye, and the cost... You nust be really rich and really competitive to want to take stuff.

This is a good read and gives good insight from an amateur point of view. Keep in mind the article is 11 years old.

http://www.outsideonline.com/magazine/123276978.html

EDIT - link: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/Drug-Test.html

i just went to go link this. here's a few more

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Whats-It-Like-to-Dope.html

Drug Test: EPO 

The seminal author-as-guinea pig doping story, written by Stuart Stevens and published in Outside in 2003.

Guest DieBees

If you have knowledge of someone taking illegal substances, surely reporting them to the authorities is the solution.

I cant because I supply them... :) Nah man, i have reported it before and nothing came of it... People were never tested or contacted. I felt a grudge against a nemesis that I KNEW used stuff because he told me. And nothing ever happened.

Im of the view that if there is prize money and the race orgonisers PAY drug free sport they get a better response.

So, not sure what to make of it.

Start using it today, one bottle of water with the correct dosage will keep you well hydrated .

Will do (thanks), and will give some objective feedback after a few weeks of riding.

Quite frankly I hope it kills them. Stupid thing to do. Why not try something called training.

Yoh! Harsh words those... Do you wish death upon all people who do things that doesn't fit into your your version of what is right or acceptable?

Any middle-aged cyclist who's REALLY desperate should FIRST go see a endocrinologist and have all the tests done.

Sometime, you can massively improve performance by simply getting all your levels balanced.

And, with middle age, the problem can be too much of something, e.g,. estrogen, as opposed to too little of something, e.g. testosterone...

And herein lies the rub. I know a little more about this than I should being a 50 year old male who would love to have the same kick i had when i started riding 17 years ago. But i have also got  a thyroid condition and so have spent a lot of time in front of endocrinologists, who would happily supplement my testosterone levels as they are impacted by the other issues i have.

So i can get it legally.

Whats legally though ? My blood values will show normal but i am supplementing what my system and genetics cant provide.

So they balance you to the point you are all up to scratch.

That levels the playing field ?

That will cost you R 3 to R4k per month in supplements alone. And there are a number of people doing it i can assure you. You don't get a clinic in Bryanston for nothing.

Then you see your mates and some well known cycling names in the waiting rooms. Nudge nudge wink wink and boy did i have a good night last night after the shot - chased the wife around the room for three hours. Didn't know what came over me....

So you ask yourself, have they also got thyroid related issues or am i stupid?

Anyway i am so slow now that it no longer matters what i take as i am just pedaling, so there is no PED in this for me as the P is a little lacking (on the bike at least). 

And it leads to some pretty interesting blood values. You take Estrogen mate -your skin appears as smooth as a baby. No wrinkles. You may just start lactating about a certain value. 

And that was from something off the shelf that i was told to take by the anti aging blokes. The endocrinologist nearly wet themselves.

Short term benefits are great. Longer term looks pretty ugly as the heart etc don't like the pressure and testicular and other cancers can be pretty prominent.

Yoh! Harsh words those... Do you wish death upon all people who do things that doesn't fit into your your version of what is right or acceptable?

I am NOT condoning what he said, but generally we must never forget that doping is not someones personal view. It is WADA's view.

Ag moeder mammie .......

And herein lies the rub. I know a little more about this than I should being a 50 year old male who would love to have the same kick i had when i started riding 17 years ago. But i have also got  a thyroid condition and so have spent a lot of time in front of endocrinologists, who would happily supplement my testosterone levels as they are impacted by the other issues i have.

So i can get it legally.

Whats legally though ? My blood values will show normal but i am supplementing what my system and genetics cant provide.

So they balance you to the point you are all up to scratch.

That levels the playing field ?

That will cost you R 3 to R4k per month in supplements alone. And there are a number of people doing it i can assure you. You don't get a clinic in Bryanston for nothing.

Then you see your mates and some well known cycling names in the waiting rooms. Nudge nudge wink wink and boy did i have a good night last night after the shot - chased the wife around the room for three hours. Didn't know what came over me....

So you ask yourself, have they also got thyroid related issues or am i stupid?

Anyway i am so slow now that it no longer matters what i take as i am just pedaling, so there is no PED in this for me as the P is a little lacking (on the bike at least). 

And it leads to some pretty interesting blood values. You take Estrogen mate -your skin appears as smooth as a baby. No wrinkles. You may just start lactating about a certain value. 

And that was from something off the shelf that i was told to take by the anti aging blokes. The endocrinologist nearly wet themselves.

Short term benefits are great. Longer term looks pretty ugly as the heart etc don't like the pressure and testicular and other cancers can be pretty prominent.

Thanks - good post.  Your reasoning is valid and the dangers apparent but the okes will keep on "juicing" to keep ahead of their mates... :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

HGH, testosterone...what next?  This is supposed to be FUN, does anyone remember?

I recently started taking PMC either pre or post ride. At first it was just now and then, but I found I relied on them more and more to give me that boost,

It didn't stop there though. I found that if I was sitting at my desk at work and was feeling a little flat, that I'd quickly pop a PMC and I'd instantly feel 100x better.

I know I should not be taking such things. I know they are not good for my body. I don't compete in any events, so does that make it at least a bit more acceptable?

I'm trying not to rely on them so much and I have cut down.. but damn! PepperMint Crisps just taste so freaking good!

We amateurs spend 1000's of rands on equipment and hours upon hours of training to do races with no rewards other than the thrill of doing well and a bit of bragging rights. Using drugs is just taking it one step further, I don't find it strange at all that some people would be tempted.

I just spend stupendous amounts on equipment to LOOK fast.  Pimping the bike is 99% of the fun! 

Thanks - good post.  Your reasoning is valid and the dangers apparent but the okes will keep on "juicing" to keep ahead of their mates... :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

HGH, testosterone...what next?  This is supposed to be FUN, does anyone remember?

“Fun is the path to the dark side. Fun leads to competition. Competition leads to doping. Doping leads to suffering.” - Yoda Hamilton

I posted the following after this years Argus.

To be honest I share his sentiments to an extent. Been cycling for 3 years and with all the races I've done I can't quite crack that Sub 3. Went for a small warm up ride Saturday morning with a mate, we met my wife afterwards for coffee at the amazingly good Giovanni's in Green Point. Standing next to us are 5-6 rather loud and obviously well off chaps chatting away in good kit with even better bikes.
So good luck to them I think, until I hear on how they're so fearful of being tested as most of them are taking a Schedule 5 drug. My wife's ears hear this as she's in the medical field and tells me they were talking about Reactivan, how it's a stimulant and how bad it is for you.
Now I'm well aware that these knobs are more than likely the exception but it did make me wonder what's the point of me riding every winter at 4 am to train and to try make up for years of not cycling when these clowns are popping stimulant's and the best part is they're not even Pro's? 

Yippee... my "drug-free" packaging arrived this morning.

Considering I've been training/riding/racing on water since August, I'm hoping the sheriff is right and I can perform like an Elete.

attachicon.gifpackage.jpg

Wat is daai, gerald'?

Did I miss some info somewhere?

Archived