How important is Spinning Classes?

Guest TheEpicOne

Guest TheEpicOne

Hallo Hubbers!

I'm just curious to find out what your thoughts and opinions are regarding spinning classes?

I'm doing MTBing and would like to start and motivate myself to do a spinning class every morning for 5 days a week and afternoons a bit of MTBing as well as weekends.

What benefits will I get from spinning?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it, got bored... started commuting to work  :whistling:

It helped a bit with fitness initially but I found that with MTB'ing the best is to get your a$$ in the saddle and hit a trail and push for all you are worth.

Just my opinion, but try it and see if it works for you.

It will help. Any training helps. Not so much for skills but certainly will help with fitness.  :blink:

Lol @ not so much for skills

I spin 3 evenings a week with a class, but I do my own thing. I can tell from how it feels while I spin what the equivalent would be on the bike (if that makes sense)

For me, it helped loads!

When I spin frequently I definitely get fitter and enjoy my MTB'ing so much more!

I do my own thing, my schedule doesn't allow for to commit to class times, so when I have the gap to, I spin ... in doing so I also get a better workout than most classes.

2 mordor sessions a week means more than 5 so-so.

Ride for enjoyment and distance over the weekend when you have time. On Tue and Thu you suffer on IDT. Set an hour aside and make peace with the fact you will be sweating bullets for that 60 minutes. Intervals are your friends. Get a way of measuring your effort(HR monitor will do, powermeter even better) and work on form.

On the weekends you pluck the fruits of your weekday efforts. 5 Sessions will make you too tired if done correctly...rather aim for two quality ones with recovery days between them

I find it much easier to get my interval sessions done on a IDT/spinning bike than on the road. I get very bored so luckily only do one 45min or 60 min session a week. Intervals are compulsory for me so I HTFU and suffer for the session.

I find it much easier to get my interval sessions done on a IDT/spinning bike than on the road. I get very bored so luckily only do one 45min or 60 min session a week. Intervals are compulsory for me so I HTFU and suffer for the session.

Yea, its much more focused and controlled environment, so same here.

Yea, its much more focused and controlled environment, so same here.

Spot on. Always frustrating on the road when you doing a 2 min interval and hit 90% only to have to slow down for some poepal. Quickly change it to a 30 second interval?

Life/Work/Family dicates so I get 3 x 1 hour sessions a week in.

60mins broken into either 3 x 20min or 4 x 15min reps depending how I feel

Each rep consists of high intensity and low intensity intervals replicating sprinting, climbing, spinning and rest.

Combine it with a 4 hour or so on the weekend and its a good programme

I have just missed out on the the long rides over the last month..

2 mordor sessions a week means more than 5 so-so.

Ride for enjoyment and distance over the weekend when you have time. On Tue and Thu you suffer on IDT. Set an hour aside and make peace with the fact you will be sweating bullets for that 60 minutes. Intervals are your friends. Get a way of measuring your effort(HR monitor will do, powermeter even better) and work on form.

On the weekends you pluck the fruits of your weekday efforts. 5 Sessions will make you too tired if done correctly...rather aim for two quality ones with recovery days between them

So much wisdom!!!

Started doing two IDT sessions as well since I got myself a powermeter and it really does make a difference. At this stage it's Sufferfest Blender on Tue followed by Angels on Wednesday. Thursday rest day, Friday easy ride (with a few sprints) to wake up the legs for the weekends riding.

Like you said: Focus on quality rather than quantity.